Best bassists & bass solos?

Let's add Les Claypool of Primus... Maybe Trevor Dunn of Mr. Bungle and Trevor Horn to get honorable mentions?

John Taylor (Duran Duran)!!! :guitar:

I do think John Taylor was the talented one in Duran Duran and a solid bass player. I'm also partial to Solomon Walker, Mike Watt of Minutemen, and Rob Wright of NoMeansNo -- Canada's best bass player in Canada's best progressive rock band :cool:

I love the Banshees and Curve. Their bass lines are very well written and catchy, deserving of some kind of award. They're comparatively easy to play, though, and neither band really does too many bass solos, e.g. improvisation. (I guess really most of the other bass players I mentioned above do few if any improvised bass solos either.)

how many bands do you like just because "they sound like Joy Division" or "they have bass lines like The Cure?"

The first time I heard The Cure's 'Inbetween Days' and the long intro, I thought, 'Wow, this must be New Order's new single!:lbf:

....Mike Joyce may have been expendable....

He wasn't. And would you have said that if there was not a court case? I doubt it, you would have hailed him as the best drummer in the world ever.

Jukebox Jury

Geddy Lee is awesome!

Surely Kim Deal deserves a mention here? I'd include Barry Adamson as well. And the Wedding Present bassist whose name I forget, for his work on Kennedy, which isn't exactly a bass solo abut at least a memorable bass moment.

cheers

Simon f***ing Gallup of The Cure is beyond brilliant! Also Andy Rourke and Peter Hook (JD only though).

Simon f***ing Gallup of The Cure is beyond brilliant! Also Andy Rourke and Peter Hook (JD only though).

I just wish Simon and others didn't seem like they're only aware of one string, the E string. It irks me somehow. I want to tell him, hey! There's an easier way to get to that note!

You can't touch this...

168g67q.jpg

I can't tell you the numbers of bands the last year or two whose sound I find to be very reminiscent of mid 80's Cure or New Order.

Peter Hook and Simon Gallup are possibly more influential than any other bassists. how many bands do you like just because "they sound like Joy Division" or "they have bass lines like The Cure?"

Funny I always through of them as a great rhythm section where one couldn't thrive without the other. MJ gets a lot of shit for his actions in recent year, but he did his job in The Smiths in an above average fashion.

Rourke of course....Mike Joyce may have been expendable, but Rourke's bass tone was just as important to The Smiths sound as Johnny's guitar

^^^
Good call about Lemmie, how could we forget about him?

Ones who have not yet been metioned:

Cliff Burton
Jaco Pastorious
Tal Wilkenfeld

And over the years, even Johnny Christ has come a long way in his playing

Oh man, so many greats to choose from...Stanley Clark, Jaco Pastorious, Victor Wooten, Charles Mingus, the list goes on... Chuck Rainey!!!

You gotta wait till about 1:10 into the video, but the dude gots the chops.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny I always through of them as a great rhythm section where one couldn't thrive without the other. MJ gets a lot of shit for his actions in recent year, but he did his job in The Smiths in an above average fashion.

He wasn't. And would you have said that if there was not a court case? I doubt it, you would have hailed him as the best drummer in the world ever.

whoa fellas, i was only referencing what Morrissey has said about Joyce, not my opinion of him as a drummer. but let's be honest, Rourke's bass sound is a helluva lot more distinctive than Joyce's drumming-a few exceptions aside.

Quote:
....Mike Joyce may have been expendable....

Jukebox Jury

excellent point well made sir!

conversely, as much as i love them, the smiths did a certain amount of twaddle which is passed over as great by lots of people just because its THEM

anyway, back on track ... my submission, mr steven hanley of the fall

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQkjx2J-AAw&feature=related

Three more for ya
Martin Blunt of The Charlatans - especially the early stuff
Alonza Bevan of Kula Shaker and The Healers
Stuart Zender - first three Jamiroquai albums.

HA! Nobody here hasn't mentioned Cliff Williams of AC/DC. Bet you guys didn't know that his daughter Erin Lucas was in the MTV show The City, also starring Whitney Port?

Back
Top Bottom