Who would you like to write the music for the next album-assuming there is to be one?

Who would you like to write the music for the next album-assuming there is to be one?

• Total voters
Re: Who would you like to write the music for the next album-assuming there is to be

A collaboration with Peter Buck and/or Mike Mills would certainly be interesting. However, it wouldn't break any new ground.

The best possible choice would be Johnny Greenwood. Greenwood would push Morrissey in a new direction which he has refused to venture in for quite some time.

I hope not, purely because he's gone a bit poncy. Mind you, Radiohead are from Oxford so I suppose there's a chance that they always have been.

Re: Who would you like to write the music for the next album-assuming there is to be

A collaboration with Peter Buck and/or Mike Mills would certainly be interesting. However, it wouldn't break any new ground.

The best possible choice would be Johnny Greenwood. Greenwood would push Morrissey in a new direction which he has refused to venture in for quite some time.

An interesting call. I think of his current band, Whyte is the best composer of all of them, although he's become more of a bit-part player. To me, if he wants to do something different at this point, he may as well go down a more orchestral route and break from his typical band sound.

Can't see this and my money is on Tobias being the main man from now on.

Snoop Dogg

Last edited:

Snoop Dogg

I remember Snoop being on the Late Late Show with Craig Killborne (sp?) a few nights before Moz was gonna be there. Craig asked Snoop if he had ever heard Morrissey and snoop replied something like "oh yeah, he's sharp!"
Made me smile. :D Not a fan of Snoops music, but I think he's funny.

Rufus Wainwright.

Burt Bacharach. No, seriously. Morrissey wants to be a crooner, and he'd certainly write better lyrics on top of Bacharach's music than Elvis Costello did in 1998.

I was listening to NPR a while ago, and they played "You Were Good in Your Time," and the host said "These days Morrissey sounds like Paul Anka" and there was much snickering. :rolleyes:

I like the whole crooning thing, but he needs to keep it a little edgy. Elvis C. could write Moz a song or two (I know Elvis doesn't care for Moz, but the man's a professional).

If he is not going to have Alain back in the fold then perhaps it is time to go in a new direction. Perhaps that is why I liked Southpaw Grammar so much. It seemed to be a complete departure from the usual and it still sounded great.

I'm amazed at how few votes John Maher's picking up.
Can only assume many/most people don't know who he actually is.
Serves me right for being a smart arse!

Buzzcocks' former drummer? :p

call me retro but I'd die for one more Moz/Street collaboration

I have no idea who I'd want to collaborate with him right now. In years past I would've said David Gavurin or Bernard Butler.

David Gavurin, wow, whatever happened to The Sundays.

Oh, and he can get whoever he likes to write music for his next album, it's not for us to decide is it?

Oh, and I'd like to nominate Paul Banks (former Shed Seven guitarist as opposed to Interpol singer of the same name)

It'd probably end up being too much of a dog's breakfast, but it would be wild if Morrissey actually announced publicly that his next record would indeed be the last of his career and then solicit "now or never" demos from his best collaborators thus far (Marr, Street, Whyte, Boorer) and keep other slots open for wild cards from Morrissey's list of musical heroes.

EDIT: Oh, and a cover of "My Way" to end the record. Snicker if you will, but he is the true son and heir of that song.

Last edited:

It'd probably end up being too much of a dog's breakfast, but it would be wild if Morrissey actually announced publicly that his next record would indeed be the last of his career and then solicit "now or never" demos from his best collaborators thus far (Marr, Street, Whyte, Boorer) and keep other slots open for wild cards from Morrissey's list of musical heroes.

EDIT: Oh, and a cover of "My Way" to end the record. Snicker if you will, but he is the true son and heir of that song.

Interesting idea about the consortium of collaborators.

And on the topic of "My Way," I dunnooooo :blushing: I agree that he is the "son and heir" of the song, but I think that might be too tacky for Moz to do.

I know, it's right on the line of fromage but I think he would pull it off. Put it this way -- if not Morrissey then nobody.

And on the topic of "My Way," I dunnooooo :blushing: I agree that he is the "son and heir" of the song, but I think that might be too tacky for Moz to do.

I know, it's right on the line of fromage but I think he would pull it off. Put it this way -- if not Morrissey then nobody.

I hear ya there :highfive:
I can't think of anyone else around today who remotely deserves the song as much. :thumb:

I would like to vote "Whyte/Boorer". It's a shame there is no this option, however I do understand "Whyte/Boorer" is too same ol' same ol' to add as the option.
(I think Jesse is a charming man for some reason, but can never like his music compositions)

BTW I think also Rufus Wainwright will be nice.

Or maybe people just don't want to vote for someone who hasn't written a decent song for over 20 years

Back
Top Bottom