Do you listen to music Morrissey likes?

Only Klaus Nomi and Kristeen Young, really.

I actually like some of sandie shaw's stuff (and yes not just the hand in glove single & b-sides :p)

Yes....I like bits of it. But not because Morrissey likes it. I like Nico, Jobriath & T.Rex.

I really like the 'Under The Influence' compilation but i think his latest flame 'Doll And The Kicks' are utter bobbins. In that field of female fronted rock bands 'The Duke Spirit' are far, far superior IMHO.
As far as current bands/artists go he tends to champion people who champion him, always has.

Last edited:
Buzzcocks, Magazine, Ludus, Sparks, Nico, Felt, Serge Gainsbourg, Sinatra, The Monochrome Set.

I'd like to get into Klaus Nomi, as well.

Nico
New York Dolls
Klaus Nomi
Patti Smith

But Morrissey isn't the reason why I listen to these great artists. I discovered them before my interest in Morrissey.

I really like the 'Under The Influence' compilation but i think his latest flame 'Doll And The Kicks' are utter bobbins. In that field of female fronted rock bands 'The Duke Spirit' are far, far superior IMHO.
As far as current bands/artists go he tends to champion people who champion him, always has.

I can't say I've ever really listened to any of his huge influences or artists he's liked for a long time, however I do rather like DaTK.

I recently started liking the New York Dolls, but again it had little to do with Morrissey's influence. That's about it really for me. The singer from Doll and the Kicks had my eyes popping out my sockets both times I saw them, whether I'd bother to listen to them is another matter. That reason alone puts them as my favourite Moz support of the ones I've seen I'm afraid so I guess I don't agree with Morrissey much.

Who exactly does he like these days? :straightface:
as for back in the day, I know he liked
cramps2.jpg

& I always have too :guitar:

"Under The Influence" was a real disappointment to me. I'd have to say thank you but NO.

Last edited:
I liked the Sparks in the '80's. When I was in high school went to see them on their Cool Places tour (1983, I think) - I'm pretty sure I still have my tour t-shirt. I always liked The Cramps too, but never bought any records. I've really tried to get on the New York Dolls train - I understand why they are historically important in other ways, but not muscially.

I am very impressed by The Courteeners. I thought they were really fun and catchy and actually did buy the cd after the show.

Big fan of The Courteeners. Mozzer got it spot on with them. Seeing them in Manchester in December, supported by Buzzcocks.

Yes.

Kristeenyoung is at the top of my list, alongside all the great girl singers from the 60s and all the old Motown artists. Moz gets full credit for KY, but I loved the others years before I'd ever heard of a Morrissey :p

I also like early Bowie, early Elvis, Iggy and the Stooges, the New York Dolls, Sinatra (Nancy and Frank), Patti Smith (though I'm still a newbie) and everything on Under the Influence.

Most of the prime examples that have been mentioned already (New York Dolls, Cramps, Bowie, etc) I would like regardless of Morrissey. I actually hadn't heard anything by New York Dolls until after I heard that Morrissey was such a big fan, but I know that it's something I would have liked if I'd just been lured that way before (and I'm pretty sure that I would have by now). I'm also a really big fan of '50s rock & roll and rockabilly but, again, it's got nothing to do with Morrissey's influence.

'Meetings With Morrissey' influenced me to listen to some of the '60s girl groups that Morrissey adores and I doubt I would have ever done that if I hadn't read that book. I do actually like a lot of it, but it's not something I listen to regularly.

Being a second generation Syrian living in London, about a year ago I thought that it was time to start taking an active interest in music from the Middle East. Not knowing anything about music from that part of the world I went back to the statement that Morrissey wrote defending himself against accusations of racism because I remembered that he listed some Middle Eastern artists that he was a big fan of. I've since tried out some of those names and so far I've liked them all.

Back
Top Bottom