The Smiths to reunite for 2020 tour promoted by Live Nation?

A trusted source has sent the following:

Concert industry insiders, not authorized to speak publicly, say concert giant “Live Nation” has won the rights for the long-awaited Smiths reunion to happen next year. We know what you’re already singing to yourself (“stop me if you think that you’ve heard this one before”), but because dates and venues are already said to be in the “plotting stage,” this would indicate that a Morrissey-Marr reunion is closer than ever to becoming a reality. There’s no word yet on if all four original members will share the concert stage. Morrissey just completed his “California Son” tour. According to his website, Johnny Marr has no upcoming shows scheduled. Keep your fingers crossed and stay tuned.

Johnny Marr's Twitter response when asked regarding this story - Twitter (November 6, 2019), link via @ordinaryboy86:

Media coverage:
Related item:

Last edited:
Yea. It must be great for you watching on YouTube as let’s be honest, it’s unlikely you’d be there. Right?

I don't really mean the kind of thing that is announced in advance, where everybody gets paid millions and there's a massive scrum to get tickets. I mean an ordinary show in an ordinary place, and Johnny says "I'd like to bring on an old friend..." and just as you're rolling your eyes and trying to look enthused by the prospect of Barney / Billy Duffy /Bez from the Happy Mondays or some other well-meaning also-ran, Moz comes out. Does a couple of songs, brings the house down, goes home. It wouldn't be resurrecting the Smiths, but ending the Smiths properly.

The Smiths is dead, it belongs in the past. I'd be ridiculously happy with something so small as a guest spot - Johnny joining Moz for one encore or vice versa. Nothing fancy - just enough to show that they'd buried the hatchet, give us one enormous singalong of There Is A Light and put it all to bed.
Yes and it could definitely still happen. If only Johnny would stand up and defend Moz in public. One simple word of kindness could make it happen.
But judging by this latest tweet there is zero chance it will.

Yes and it could definitely still happen. If only Johnny would stand up and defend Moz in public. One simple word of kindness could make it happen.

Defend Moz from what? Himself?

Why would Johnny stand up in public and defend a racist? It's beyond bizarre that you would think anything like that could ever happen.

Smoke screen, creates anticipation & increases expectation.

Hardly going to be the one to confirm is he?

Loads more fake marketing mileage to do to milk this yet.

Don't yu know anything about how this works, Dullard? FFS get a grip.

And if it happens, will you be there applauding from the wings, or hurling abuse in a girlie-stylie carrying placards with benny, trill, and that other non-entity?

Genuinely interested.

Not sure, I saw them 3 times back in the day and have fond memories, still have my poster from the festival of the 10th summer gig.

30BF8239-3422-4135-84AB-CB468F8A8EF3.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes possibly. I think Johnny is still the most important person in his life. If he knocked on his door in 1982 and change his life why not now?

That's a very romantic notion. I understand it. I think for a person like Morrissey, Johnny Marr was one of those very rare individuals who Moz considered an equal or even a better, both musically and personally. But that ship has sailed. Moz is never going to stop sabotaging himself and his career. Johnny is not going to manage him like he once did.

A trusted source has sent the following:

Concert industry insiders, not authorized to speak publicly, say concert giant “Live Nation” has won the rights for the long-awaited Smiths reunion to happen next year. We know what you’re already singing to yourself (“stop me if you think that you’ve heard this one before”), but because dates and venues are already said to be in the “plotting stage,” this would indicate that a Morrissey-Marr reunion is closer than ever to becoming a reality. There’s no word yet on if all four original members will share the concert stage. Morrissey just completed his “California Son” tour. According to his website, Johnny Marr has no upcoming shows scheduled. Keep your fingers crossed and stay tuned.

Update (November 6, 2019):
Johnny Marr's Twitter response when asked regarding this story:

Link via @ordinaryboy86

Diane abbot on lead guitar, nobody would notice with the same hair as Johnny.

That's a very romantic notion. I understand it. I think for a person like Morrissey, Johnny Marr was one of those very rare individuals who Moz considered an equal or even a better, both musically and personally. But that ship has sailed. Moz is never going to stop sabotaging himself and his career. Johnny is not going to manage him like he once did.
But big money makes people do strange things, so you never know.

JM hinted in his book that he would like to reunite; Moz said he'd rather eat his own testicles.

Why would Johnny stand up in public and defend a racist? It's beyond bizarre that you would think anything like that could ever happen.
Why make it political? Just a simple word of kindness about the old days or about his lyrics could do the trick.
Moz sabotaged The Smiths’ career, nothing much has changed in that respect. Moz is way too proud to ever resurrect The Smiths, but if Johnny pushed the right buttons so to speak he would be the only one capable of ever making it happen.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom