"The Smiths' Meat Is Murder is nauseating to vegetarians and carnivores alike" - The A.V. Club

wow that was unusually poorly written as he didnt make much of a case for his argument other than i like catchier more uptempo pop oriented music. i mean how soon is now is very good musically but the lyrics are just so so, a fun play on words with no other meaning than i am a person with human needs. it doesnt hold much emotional weight imo. he didnt make much of a case for his argument. i will say, as an aside, that the bassline to barbarism is reason enough he shlould have had a royalties stake and why marr is not the sole reason for the music of the smiths. one of many. i should also say that marr frequently tells people who mistake his guitar parts for roukes basslines that he should get the credit for that so i have no problem with marr and idolize him to death. it just bgets to me the simple myth that people wanna believe

You ready for the slop they are predicting for this evening, into tomorrow? Shovels and salt at the ready? Haha!

Kewpie has slapped my wrists for being off topic (and rightly so)...but YES I am prepared as I have taken every Monday in February off. I save many days just to avoid having to go out in the winter cold and mess. You be safe! So far...this winter has been a day at the beach compared to last.

Kewpie isn't the only one who is good with a whip. Doesn't this look like Morrissey in Indiana?

d5e9493f34c6f79f5d76370330e5326d.gif

Kewpie isn't the only one who is good with a whip. Doesn't this look like Morrissey in Indiana?

d5e9493f34c6f79f5d76370330e5326d.gif

That is a great clip. Brings me back to when I first saw the Suedehead video. It was at the height of my Morrissey fandom. What an iconic look...all in black with the long wool coat, hat and sunglasses. Johnny Cash-esque. Driving the tractor was the best. Next to November Spawned a Monster...my favorite.

That is a great clip. Brings me back to when I first saw the Suedehead video. It was at the height of my Morrissey fandom. What an iconic look...all in black with the long wool coat, hat and sunglasses. Johnny Cash-esque. Driving the tractor was the best. Next to November Spawned a Monster...my favorite.

Yeah, I love that look too. November Spawned a Monster! :horny:

I understand that this is not expected to be the highest standard of journalism, but I find it completely annoying when writers make broad claims that can't be substantiated in any way. How many vegetarians were surveyed for the article? It's definitely not my favorite Smiths' song, but as a vegan, I find it admirable that Morrissey, and the rest of the band, took a stance and included it on such a powerful record. This piece is obviously one person's opinion; it might as well just be a post on this site. I also find it amusing that so many people cite Morrissey, both positively and negatively, in articles and interviews. Some people claim that he has become less relevant; if so, then why is his name still an attention-getter?

lynnda

I understand that this is not expected to be the highest standard of journalism, but I find it completely annoying when writers make broad claims that can't be substantiated in any way. How many vegetarians were surveyed for the article? It's definitely not my favorite Smiths' song, but as a vegan, I find it admirable that Morrissey, and the rest of the band, took a stance and included it on such a powerful record. This piece is obviously one person's opinion; it might as well just be a post on this site. I also find it amusing that so many people cite Morrissey, both positively and negatively, in articles and interviews. Some people claim that he has become less relevant; if so, then why is his name still an attention-getter?

lynnda

I always read the lyrics to 'Meat Is Murder' as the diary entry of a teenager struggling to come to terms with the horror of the industrial food industry. In the 80s, lots of people fell for the idea of humane milk, cheese & eggs. However, since the Internet, it's increasingly rare to find anyone who doesn't see through the propaganda of industrial animal farming. That's why Morrissey's failure to update his lifestyle so it's congruent with his stated beliefs was first confusing, then annoying and finally exasperating. It was a powerful statement in the 1980s, but for Morrissey to continue to sing it in the 2010s whilst wantonly supporting the dairy/cheese and veal industry through his dietary choices is simply incredible stupidity and arrogance. The same applies for his stance on leather and on staying in hotels that offer 50% discounts to bullfighters. I think he knows this at a subconscious level and that a lot of his depressive episodes over the last 3 decades are due to the fact that he knows he's living a lie by not following his moral impulse to the logical conclusion of ethical veganism.

best
BB

Back
Top Bottom