Royal Albert Hall show cancelled 11/05/09

Re: Royal Albert Hall show cancelled tonight

Just re-booked for Brixton, climbing out of my pit of despair

I didn't find out until I got there at 10:30 this morning when Cowshed text me. Really disappointed. Met up with the lovely Quiffaa to try and take my mind off it. I hope he will be okay for Birmingham...

My apologies if this has been stated earlier in this thread, but doesn't this kind of prove he does not cancel due to venue ticket sales?
RAH was sold out (can't get "fuller" than that) and he canceled.
Rumor had it that Oakland Paramount was canceled due to poor sales.

Lets just hope he rests tonight and DOESNT attempt to appear on Jools and is well and fit for Birmingham. There is a notice on the Symphony Hall website that states they have no notice of any cancellation for that gig on Weds (yet) :squiffy:

Just to make a point and correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not completely up to speed with the tour schedules of the likes of Springsteen and Dylan. But don't they generally tour quite rarely? Say once every three or four years and then when they do they play fewer gigs in huge stadiums/arenas?

It costs a lot more to play lots of dates in smaller venues than it does to play fewer dates in large venues. This doesn't just effect Morrissey but also the amount his road crew get paid (putting aside rumours of non payment :/) Most of these people are paid every day they are on the road as opposed to per gig I presume and so days off in between again become very expensive. I don't think you could describe Morrisseys ticket prices as inflated when compared to those of Dylan and Springsteen taking all this into account!

I don't think Morrissey gigs really work in huge arenas and the cancellations are a huge price to pay both for the fans hearts and wallets and in cold hard cash for Morrissey in exchange for being able to see him in much smaller, nicer venues.

I'm not trying to make excuses, I'm just trying to say I don't think you can make comparisons between the way Springsteen and Dylan tour against the way Morrissey tours because I think he makes more effort to do it right, even if he's obviously reaching too far.

I don't have a ticket for this evening but I am honestly gutted for the people that traveled however far and have given up other things to be there today. There is no excuse for there not yet having been a direct apology from Morrissey himself. Manners don't cost a thing :(

Just to make a point and correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not completely up to speed with the tour schedules of the likes of Springsteen and Dylan. But don't they generally tour quite rarely? Say once every three or four years and then when they do they play fewer gigs in huge stadiums/arenas?

It costs a lot more to play lots of dates in smaller venues than it does to play fewer dates in large venues. This doesn't just effect Morrissey but also the amount his road crew get paid (putting aside rumours of non payment :/) Most of these people are paid every day they are on the road as opposed to per gig I presume and so days off in between again become very expensive. I don't think you could describe Morrisseys ticket prices as inflated when compared to those of Dylan and Springsteen taking all this into account!

I don't think Morrissey gigs really work in huge arenas and the cancellations are a huge price to pay both for the fans hearts and wallets and in cold hard cash for Morrissey in exchange for being able to see him in much smaller, nicer venues.

I'm not trying to make excuses, I'm just trying to say I don't think you can make comparisons between the way Springsteen and Dylan tour against the way Morrissey tours because I think he makes more effort to do it right, even if he's obviously reaching too far.

I don't have a ticket for this evening but I am honestly gutted for the people that traveled however far and have given up other things to be there today. There is no excuse for there not yet having been a direct apology from Morrissey himself. Manners don't cost a thing :(

I can't speak for Springsteen but Dylan basically tours constantly. Probably 8 months out of every year.

I can't speak for Springsteen but Dylan basically tours constantly. Probably 8 months out of every year.

Yeah, but Dylan could go on with a sore throat and no one would be able to tell the difference. In fact his fans would probably be in ecstatics about his genius reworkings of the classics. :lbf:

Just had a look at the dates now, that is a tough schedule even for a young man in full health!

My point still stands that if Morrissey were to take more days off the Venues he plays currently would not be viable so it'd have to be crap arenas all the way.

Your rules Spoil the game! Perfect! well said! i was not going any way iam doing yarmouth as its cheap and my last moz gig if he dont show at yarmouth i really aint bothered. At least boy george is free and looking good again lol :) best news ive heard all day! i never play YOR any way, The Smiths and quarry sums it all up for me! Soon will be now! The grumpy old queen needs to think about the people that can only afford one gig as he know most fans do 3-6 gigs so he can cancel as they have other chances!

What is it with him and london! i was gutted about the round house and i can understand how others in london feel today! rough trade in london gave birth to his carrer he needs to show the south some respect! but like most people use london then f*** off! and to ware a west ham t shirt lol he doest have a clue what being a true born east londoner is! like most things its a image to buy into. Its got boring like the new music he will always have a place in my life but give it up morrissey it becomes sad!

Phew, thank god! I thought you almost overreacted!

Sorry Maurice but this is complete bollocks. He played the hell out of 'Skull' at all 4 of the Scottish gigs last week, the best versions I've ever heard, and the on-stage references to its chart failure were all just the usual Moz waspish tongue-in-cheekiness. I'm sure he was pissed of at its failure but to try and ascribe the RAH canellation to it is utter madness.
I'll admit that when the charts were announced on Sunday I did think we were in for a week of silly sulky bad-tempered gigs. But THEY WERE NOT. They were some of the most vibrant and thrilling performances I've seen him give, so to suggest some deeper psychological ailment is at work here simply does not tally with the facts.

Agree those Scottish shows were really engretic and he seemed in a good mood for all the shows. I was really suprised to read he was in a bad mood at last night's show and now ill ( Maybe he was sad to leave Scotland :rolleyes:). to read He seemed to get better as the week went on.

Someone that I work with is a huge Springsteen fan and it seems like she is going to see him almost yearly. I did a quick jaunt to the Bruce site and it has all of the tour dates from 2002 to current.

In 2002-2003 Bruce was on the "Rising" tour form August 7,2002 to October 4 2003. That was a 13 month tour with the occassional week or two off, but on the road most of that period. (During that same time, Moz did 47 shows)

In 2005, Bruce toured from April 25 thru Nov 22 (No Moz tour then)

In 2006, Bruce toured Europe only from Ocober 1 thru Nov 22. In 2007 he toured from September 24 - Dec 19. In 2008, Bruce toured from Feb 28 thru Aug 30. (During this same time frame of 2006-2008 Moz had a combined total of 184 shows)

In 2009 Bruce is touring again from March 23 thru Aug 2.

My friend that sees Bruce on every tour says that he doesn't have a reputation for cancelling, but that it does happen occassionally.

I think ultimately, comparing Springsteen and Moz tours is like comparing apples to oranges, but just eyeballing it says that Bruce tours longer and doesn't cancel as often.

What is it with him and london! i was gutted about the round house and i can understand how others in london feel today! rough trade in london gave birth to his carrer he needs to show the south some respect! but like most people use london then f*** off! and to ware a west ham t shirt lol he doest have a clue what being a true born east londoner is! like most things its a image to buy into. Its got boring like the new music he will always have a place in my life but give it up morrissey it becomes sad!

Spelling or typos??
Either way, adds to the ole "North/South divide" debate.
Get over yourself!

Ok, maybe I put too much emphasis on how many dates these two people play and underestimated their touring schedules! When you look at them they put Moz to shame :(

Thanks for having a look about for me, I'm honestly too lazy to search for information on which to form informed ideas, *slaps self*

I'm just saying the suggestion he takes more days off could mean he'd end up having to play bigger venues. These venues work great for someone like Springsteen, ok for someone like Dylan and in my opinion, not so well for our Moz.

Ok, maybe I put too much emphasis on how many dates these two people play and underestimated their touring schedules! When you look at them they put Moz to shame :(

Thanks for having a look about for me, I'm honestly too lazy to search for information on which to form informed ideas, *slaps self*

I'm just saying the suggestion he takes more days off could mean he'd end up having to play bigger venues. These venues work great for someone like Springsteen, ok for someone like Dylan and in my opinion, not so well for our Moz.

Like I said....comparing apples to oranges. From what my friend led me to believe, Bruce does train for a period prior to hitting the road to be conditioned physically for a tour (on top of being pretty fit to begin with). She said he needs to as he plays for 2-3 hours most nights and is very active and all over the stage.

I know Morrissey would roll his eyes and sigh at my suggestion, but he should think of doing some physical conditioning prior to heading out on a tour so that he is better able to handle the demands on his body. It wouldn't kill him to get in regular cardio and some weight training.

I know Morrissey would roll his eyes and sigh at my suggestion, but he should think of doing some physical conditioning prior to heading out on a tour so that he is better able to handle the demands on his body. It wouldn't kill him to get in regular cardio and some weight training.

You know him that well? Really? How do you know he doesn't already do regular weight training? The one who had to shift all that heavy weight training gear of Morrissey's will be overjoyed that all the exertion and bother was for nought. I dunno about the Moz as far as cardio, but you seem to know so much about these things. So do tell about Mozzer's current exercise regime and how he can improve.

While you're at it, how about a rundown of his current diet and how he can improve that as well. I trust you won't say that he needs to ingest dead animals to be more robust. That's also not to say that there aren't vegetarians who have crap diets that make vegetarianism look unsound.

Like I said....comparing apples to oranges. From what my friend led me to believe, Bruce does train for a period prior to hitting the road to be conditioned physically for a tour (on top of being pretty fit to begin with). She said he needs to as he plays for 2-3 hours most nights and is very active and all over the stage.

I don't think weight training helps anyone avoid bugs and viruses which seems to be the problem with Morrissey. In fact, it can make you more susceptible to them if you push yourself too hard.

Back
Top Bottom