Re-releases: "Viva Hate" (Mar. 26, 2012) and "Suedehead" (Apr. 23, 2012)- true-to-you.net

Morrissey announces News about Viva Hate on the day of lurve! Typical Moz!

Viva Hate and Suedehead - true-to-you.net

14 February 2012

EMI Present:

'Viva Hate'
Remastered by Stephen Street
Release date: 26th March 2012

And

Record Store Day Single:

'Suedehead (Mael Mix)'
Remixed by Ron & Russell Mael
Release date: 23rd April 2012

EMI are pleased to announce the release through the classic Liberty label of a remastered version of Morrissey's debut album Viva Hate, and limited edition Record Store Day Ron & Russell Mael remix of his debut single 'Suedehead (Mael Mix)'.

Upon its release in 1988, Viva Hate announced to the world Morrissey's debut as a solo artist with an outstanding collection of songs which included the singles 'Suedehead' and 'Everyday Is Like Sunday'. The album charted at no. 1, having a chart stay of 20 weeks between March and August 1988, vindicating Morrissey in the face of those who doubted his ability to transcend The Smiths.

The album has now been remastered by original producer Stephen Street and the artwork - whose photo was changed for an EMI centenary edition in 1997 - has had the original photo restored. In addition, it features 'Treat Me Like A Human Being', which replaces 'The Ordinary Boys', and a written introduction from Morrissey's long-time confidant Chrissie Hynde.

Previously unseen, stunning photos from Jake Walters and Kevin Cummins adorn the sleeves and booklet. The album will be available on CD and vinyl. The LP version will be a 180g heavyweight, gatefold vinyl, housed in a wide-spine sleeve with a pull-out poster. The CD will be housed in a gatefold, card sleeve.

Following the album's release, on April 23rd EMI will release a limited edition 10-inch picture disc (Kevin Cummins' photo) of 'Suedehead (Mael Mix)', a remix of the song by Ron & Russell Mael, who have taken the track and given it their distinctive, inimitable touch: the perfect alliance between two artists who have great admiration for each other. The single will be b/w two previously unreleased BBC live tracks: 'We'll Let You Know' and 'Now My Heart Is Full', recorded at London's Theatre Royal, Drury Lane in February 1995.

Photos:

Viva Hate LP front sleeve artwork
viva_hate_lp_front_sleeve_02.jpg

Viva Hate LP back sleeve artwork
viva_hate_lp_back_sleeve_02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Article: Re-releases: "Viva Hate" (Mar. 26, 2012) and "Suedehead" (Apr. 23, 2012)

Listen to your old viva hate cd next to years of refusal and note the difference in sound quality, volume, etc. this is why re-mastering is important, which is the point that i think you missed. if you're happy with the way viva hate currently sounds, don't buy the reissue.

Um, this difference is because Years of Refusal suffers from too much dynamic compression. I suggest you search the forums, there's been plenty of threads/posts about YOR's poor sound quality. A lot of fans cite "When I Last Spoke to Carol" as their favorite song on Refusal and it's no coincidence that the track was mastered better than all the other songs on the album. If you want to compare the two CDs, take a look at the following:

2009's Years of Refusal: http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/details.php?id=9493
1988 Viva Hate CD: http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/details.php?id=15566

Re-mastering is important but only when done correctly. The music industry doesn't have a great resume on remasters since all they want to do is jack the volume up and call it a "remaster." The improvements in D/A technology over twenty years doesn't mean shit when the record companies constantly squash the remasters. The latest Coldplay album, Mylo Xyloto, is a sad indicator of what's gone wrong in audio. And anytime you see the slogan "mastered for iTunes" run the other way fast.

Re: Article: Re-releases: "Viva Hate" (Mar. 26, 2012) and "Suedehead" (Apr. 23, 2012)

availablity is not the issue. it's the fact that it was mastered digitally by 1988 standards. to illustrate this, listen to your old viva hate cd next to years of refusal and note the difference in sound quality, volume, etc. this is why re-mastering is important, which is the point that i think you missed. if you're happy with the way viva hate currently sounds, don't buy the reissue.

Yes but it was written and performed to Morrissey and Street's artistic standards. I'm sorry but when it comes to listening to music and especially Morrissey's music it's lyrical and melodic standards that I care about not digital compression and remastered engineering done 20 years later. I didn't miss your point at all. I gave it the necessary consideration, about 2 minutes and forgot about it. I happen to love the YOR album and Ringleaders even more and Quarry to a slightly lesser extent but if you're asking me to compare sound quality of Viva Hate to YOR it is impossible for me. Viva Hate makes me swoon, cry and sway even without getting off the couch. YOR is a great album to belt out but that's all. I own everything he's ever put out but I have to stop at the re releases. I don't hate Morrissey as some people like to post here about others who criticise re releases. I'm just calling it like it is. Pity I'm amongst the few and not many but I'm used to that after all I'm a Morrissey fan :)

"Ordinary Boys" is part of this record! It's like being a Star Wars fan at this point. Maybe he should re-record all his old albums with his new band because how many times can you turn up the sizzle on the high-hat? No, I really think he should start over with fresh tracks and a new approach. Lots of the songs are ripe for making into political slogans, or he could change the words to write about his more recent enemies that he didn't have in time to include on the original.
When he quits doing that he should call Irving Aziff and see if he can join the Eagles. He has cowboy shirts already. Also, I would like to see a reality show like the Osbournes but it would be Morrissey, Kristeen Young, and Baby Jeff, and it would be directed by John Waters, and Morrissey and Kristeen Young would sell Baby Jeff at Wal-Mart to buy some VHS headcleaner so they can get high and re-record The Queen Is Dead after Morrissey buys the rights with the money from his world tour.

We'll let you know !!!!!!!!

How are you Pansie Pete I'm looking down on you from the 24/7 party in the clouds.

Mozzer should pull the ultimate "f*** you" swerve by self-releasing his tenth studio album and proclaiming "if it sells five million copies, you'll see a Smiths reunion"

wouldn't take long to reach those numbers with such a deal waiting for the world at the end.

Then, when the sales figure has been reached, he should come out and say "Thank you, and goodnight. That is my last album, and there will be no reunion of the Smiths. You wanted something to hate me for? Hate me for this then."

then His Mozzness can laugh all the way to the bank.

Mozzer should pull the ultimate "f*** you" swerve by self-releasing his tenth studio album and proclaiming "if it sells five million copies, you'll see a Smiths reunion"

wouldn't take long to reach those numbers with such a deal waiting for the world at the end.

Then, when the sales figure has been reached, he should come out and say "Thank you, and goodnight. That is my last album, and there will be no reunion of the Smiths. You wanted something to hate me for? Hate me for this then."

He's already laughing.At people who buy re-issues.

Congrats Moz on your New Record! With the sad state of pop-music now-a-days, " Viva Hate is re-released again to pump some life into a semi- catatonic art form. Need proof? How about , " Glamorous Glue", being the U.K's # 4 selling single for 2011!?! Not surprising since the tune is one of Morrisseys best. But it's nearly 17 years old... Viva Hate 23-24 years old... Or maybe these records are new again cause they really are the best stuff out there.... Always....

Ps..Friday Morning... From a macabre, grim & ghastly view point maybe a copy of this new Viva Hate will be worth something.. A la Whitney Houston and Michael Jackson records! Knew you'd like that one Morrissey. " Friday morning.. Dressed in black.. I won't be coming back..."

We'll let you know !!!!!!!!

How are you Pansie Pete I'm looking down on you from the 24/7 party in the clouds.

Tony with horse on LSD Pony,

Pansie Pete? I like that!

we'll let you know

Congrats Moz on your New Record! With the sad state of pop-music now-a-days, " Viva Hate is re-released again to pump some life into a semi- catatonic art form. Need proof? How about , " Glamorous Glue", being the U.K's # 4 selling single for 2011!?! Not surprising since the tune is one of Morrisseys best. But it's nearly 17 years old... Viva Hate 23-24 years old... Or maybe these records are new again cause they really are the best stuff out there.... Always....

That's best-selling vinyl single you simpering fool. This is not a 'new' record, it's a pointless chopped-up rehash of an ancient one. The only reason it ranked so high in the vinyl list is because that format is semi-obsolete and most modern artists wouldn't even think of issuing music on it.

I think Andy and Mike would die of excitement at the mere suggestion of a reunion...

I think Andy and Mike would die of excitement at the mere suggestion of a reunion...

exactly my point.

He can fool the fans and his former band mates all in one swoop with an ill-fated assurance

to be an extra big dick, he should hack out some deal with Johnny to be in on the whole ruse, then claim that they are working together every week "to make great music simply for ourselves".

That's best-selling vinyl single you simpering fool. This is not a 'new' record, it's a pointless chopped-up rehash of an ancient one. The only reason it ranked so high in the vinyl list is because that format is semi-obsolete and most modern artists wouldn't even think of issuing music on it.

looooolz

Cassettes from the 80's sound better than the CD remasters of today. They have a larger dynamic range as well.

Um, this difference is because Years of Refusal suffers from too much dynamic compression. I suggest you search the forums, there's been plenty of threads/posts about YOR's poor sound quality. A lot of fans cite "When I Last Spoke to Carol" as their favorite song on Refusal and it's no coincidence that the track was mastered better than all the other songs on the album. If you want to compare the two CDs, take a look at the following:

2009's Years of Refusal: http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/details.php?id=9493
1988 Viva Hate CD: http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/details.php?id=15566

Re-mastering is important but only when done correctly. The music industry doesn't have a great resume on remasters since all they want to do is jack the volume up and call it a "remaster." The improvements in D/A technology over twenty years doesn't mean shit when the record companies constantly squash the remasters. The latest Coldplay album, Mylo Xyloto, is a sad indicator of what's gone wrong in audio. And anytime you see the slogan "mastered for iTunes" run the other way fast.

I'm sure you're right, I'm no expert on the mastering process. I would hope that its done with as much care possible, especially since Street is involved. Viva Hate is so lovely, and I'd hate to hear it compressed to hell. I still think a little buff and polish might be a good thing... like a great old house needs a fresh coat of paint now and again. Unfortunately, the exclusion of Ordinary Boys kills it for me. Just please don't mess with Vauxhall when the inevitable rerelease comes around!

Although dropping The Ordinary Boys is a strange decision I cannot wait to hear a decent version of Treat Me Like A Human Being. It's an absolutely classic Morrissey gem.

Sadly, I think what we all (well, most of us) are up against now is record companies using remasters to simply make them sound more appropriate for the idiots who listen to all their music through IPods and little earbuds. That's why most remasters are getting bad reviews. They pump up the volume, compress it to hell, and try to appeal to people who don't care enough about the sound of their favorite songs in the first place!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom