Re-releases: "Viva Hate" (Mar. 26, 2012) and "Suedehead" (Apr. 23, 2012)- true-to-you.net

Morrissey announces News about Viva Hate on the day of lurve! Typical Moz!

Viva Hate and Suedehead - true-to-you.net

14 February 2012

EMI Present:

'Viva Hate'
Remastered by Stephen Street
Release date: 26th March 2012

And

Record Store Day Single:

'Suedehead (Mael Mix)'
Remixed by Ron & Russell Mael
Release date: 23rd April 2012

EMI are pleased to announce the release through the classic Liberty label of a remastered version of Morrissey's debut album Viva Hate, and limited edition Record Store Day Ron & Russell Mael remix of his debut single 'Suedehead (Mael Mix)'.

Upon its release in 1988, Viva Hate announced to the world Morrissey's debut as a solo artist with an outstanding collection of songs which included the singles 'Suedehead' and 'Everyday Is Like Sunday'. The album charted at no. 1, having a chart stay of 20 weeks between March and August 1988, vindicating Morrissey in the face of those who doubted his ability to transcend The Smiths.

The album has now been remastered by original producer Stephen Street and the artwork - whose photo was changed for an EMI centenary edition in 1997 - has had the original photo restored. In addition, it features 'Treat Me Like A Human Being', which replaces 'The Ordinary Boys', and a written introduction from Morrissey's long-time confidant Chrissie Hynde.

Previously unseen, stunning photos from Jake Walters and Kevin Cummins adorn the sleeves and booklet. The album will be available on CD and vinyl. The LP version will be a 180g heavyweight, gatefold vinyl, housed in a wide-spine sleeve with a pull-out poster. The CD will be housed in a gatefold, card sleeve.

Following the album's release, on April 23rd EMI will release a limited edition 10-inch picture disc (Kevin Cummins' photo) of 'Suedehead (Mael Mix)', a remix of the song by Ron & Russell Mael, who have taken the track and given it their distinctive, inimitable touch: the perfect alliance between two artists who have great admiration for each other. The single will be b/w two previously unreleased BBC live tracks: 'We'll Let You Know' and 'Now My Heart Is Full', recorded at London's Theatre Royal, Drury Lane in February 1995.

Photos:

Viva Hate LP front sleeve artwork
viva_hate_lp_front_sleeve_02.jpg

Viva Hate LP back sleeve artwork
viva_hate_lp_back_sleeve_02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Article: Re-releases: "Viva Hate" (Mar. 26, 2012) and "Suedehead" (Apr. 23, 2012)

Don't try to defend the f***ing indefensible. Re-mastering is important? Because the average listener is so aurally sophisticated in their nuanced appreciation of pop songs that it makes a significant difference? f*** off. Nobody really believes that.

If we discount the mentally ill f***wits who, in a self-defeating quest for distinction, can't sleep in their beds at night until they've amassed at least a dozen identical copies of every recording, then the only people that re-mastering is important to are the people employed in the music industry. Just as the introduction of compact discs in the 1980s allowed record companies to increase the shelf-life of albums on the pretext that the latest technology provided the consumer with "a more authentic audio experience", so to the "re-mastering" of old albums in the twenty-first century is just the latest method of maintaining sales of products for which there would otherwise no longer be a viable market. Morrissey, of course, is happy to accept this corporate crap because he's desperate for EMI to put out his next (and, if there's any justice, last) album.

If you truly believe that re-mastered recordings are "important" because they offer the listener an enhanced experience worth paying actual money for, then you're even stupider than you have to be to be a Morrissey fan in 2012.

No.27

yes, i'm a stupid morrissey fan. but wait, you're here too, talking shit on a morrissey fan page, hmmm. and yeah, how desperate of moz, to update the sonics of a record he made 25 years ago. i suppose that digital technology was perfected back in the 80s, and surely never could be improved upon. no self-respecting artist would ever consider such a sad attempt to stay relevant... maybe with the possible exception of, um, the cure, echo and the bunnymen, the beatles, velvet underground, new order, orange juice, siouxsie, bob dylan, and the smiths - just a handful of the many who've remastered their catalog over the last several years. if it is important enough to remain in the marketplace after all these years, it may as well look and sound it's best. again, if you're happy with what you've got, then cool, don't buy it.

and for that guy who called me a "total twat", i say better that than a complete asshole.

I really think this string of re-issues is completely indefensible.

Morrissey was (and therefore is) a great artist. His recent songs, in recent years, however just lack the spark. This isn't traditional Smiths-sentimentalism . We're talking about musicality (or rather - lack of musicality). I speak of the post-Viva Hate stuff. The most recent songs in particular are just so amateur. Silly guitar riffs, sloppy structures. And certainly no spark.

I cherish much of work. He is a true artist. He will continue to sing and continues to have many full concerts; sell-outs, I don't doubt. But I won't be there. It's uncomfortable to watch Morrissey, who I have so much respect for, sit back and let the record companies reissue these albums unnecessarily - because it can only be for money.

Re: Article: Re-releases: "Viva Hate" (Mar. 26, 2012) and "Suedehead" (Apr. 23, 2012)

yes, i'm a stupid morrissey fan. but wait, you're here too, talking shit on a morrissey fan page, hmmm. and yeah, how desperate of moz, to update the sonics of a record he made 25 years ago. i suppose that digital technology was perfected back in the 80s, and surely never could be improved upon. no self-respecting artist would ever consider such a sad attempt to stay relevant... maybe with the possible exception of, um, the cure, echo and the bunnymen, the beatles, velvet underground, new order, orange juice, siouxsie, bob dylan, and the smiths - just a handful of the many who've remastered their catalog over the last several years. if it is important enough to remain in the marketplace after all these years, it may as well look and sound it's best. again, if you're happy with what you've got, then cool, don't buy it.

First, look at that list of groups you mentioned and then ask yourself what they have in common. They're not exactly the epitome of "hip" anymore, are they? Not exactly chart-toppers and not really making "relevant" music anymore, as far as I'm aware. I think, when pop groups come to rely on albums they recorded decades ago, you know that they've become anything but "relevant".

No.27

This is a missed opportunity. A decent re-release of Viva Hate would include all 12 original songs plus:

Please Help the Cause
Hairdresser on Fire
Oh Well, I'll Never Learn
I Know Very Well How I Got My Name
Sister I'm a Poet
Will Never Marry
Disappointed
Dial a Cliche (early version)
Treat Me Like a Human Being
Safe Warm Lancashire Home
I Don't Want Us To Finish etc.

If it had been done properly then it could have been a worthwhile exercise.

totally right. i don't know why the past re-issues haven't kept the songs in some kind of era order - because the street/morrissey sound was quite distinctive and the songs you mention all flow. i actually found lots of the re-issues like bona drag i think that had the langer/street material - then suddenly an alan whyte or boz song really jarring. it seems missmash. oh and the southpaw one had songs that clearly weren't recorded with the same sound in mind (i think fantastic bird was from your arsnel era?). it didn't fix at all - is morrissey making these calls or record executives who dont care?

appalling amateurish artwork too. they could have got a 1st year design student and they would have made a better job. the font looks like someone's dad 'designed' it - yes in MS paint as someone said.. how can morrissey or EMI release stuff like this which isnt even packaged professionally?

There is a certain type of Morrissey fan that has over the years been a constant sense of embarrassment to me. The ones that that grovel at his every bowel movement, swoon over every release and accept any of his bizarre and obnoxious comments as the word of god. And the above is one of them. You're vegetables hooked up intraveneously to his every flinch and as soon as anyone makes a criticism you call them haters.

I don't buy this. Fans don't speak this way. No way. O.Gay? You say "sense of embarrassment to me". Wtf. Dumb cun*. Who the f*** is 'you' ? You ain't no fan.What is your intent? You his friend? I don't buy it.

Viva Kate

He didn't. That pic is from 1988. Get some glasses.

No it's not. Morrissey didn't have sideburns in 1988.

and for that guy who called me a "total twat", i say better that than a complete asshole.

lol yeah "staying relevant" is all about digital perfection. Wow you really have your finger on Mozzer's pulse don't you? Btw it was me who called you a total twat you dumb c*** :)

I don't buy this. Fans don't speak this way. No way. O.Gay? You say "sense of embarrassment to me". Wtf. Dumb cun*. Who the f*** is 'you' ? You ain't no fan.What is your intent? You his friend? I don't buy it.

Viva Kate

I have no reply other than to say I hope you are getting the help you need and that the 4 walls that surround you are soft :)

No it's not. Morrissey didn't have sideburns in 1988.

Whatever length his sideburns are he is not 34 years old in that pic a la Vauxhall.

I have no reply other than to say I hope you are getting the help you need and that the 4 walls that surround you are soft :)

Excuse you? Again,who the f*** is you? Yo,you got issues. Don't even speak to me freak. I see your pansy ass evaded sayin who they is. Surprised much by your own lies you putz? Like a fan would ever utter "to me". Learn to word your sentences in the future loser if you're going to continue playing the role of a fan pansy ass. And the only thing "soft" as you call it is that lump of mashed potatoes between your legs. I'd like to smash it pansy ass.ta ta

Viva Kate

And another thing, why is it that you use those stupid smiley faces for? They is stupid and make me sick. Remove them.

Viva Kate

Dear friend Peterb,

Where I've been? Seasick, Yet Still Docked.
People Are The Same Everywhere all the time on Solow, so, I decide to spend my time editing certain authobiography until Late Night every day (now, That's Entertainment!) - at my flat in Maudlin Street.
But I'm reading your posts, such a precious Glamorous Glue they are to me, indeed, they are Golden Lights among this Oscillate Wildly pamflets from gigantic bunch of Half A Persons from Solow.
If you cross Maudlin Street one of this days, pop up for green tea and jaffa cakes (strawberry injection), we could spin Ouija Board. After all, there is always Place In Hell For Me And My Friends.
Carry on, Sing Your Life!

we'll let you know
Thanks for the reply.
Glad you're doing well.
Take Care.

Don't try to defend the f***ing indefensible. Re-mastering is important? Because the average listener is so aurally sophisticated in their nuanced appreciation of pop songs that it makes a significant difference? f*** off. Nobody really believes that.

If we discount the mentally ill f***wits who, in a self-defeating quest for distinction, can't sleep in their beds at night until they've amassed at least a dozen identical copies of every recording, then the only people that re-mastering is important to are the people employed in the music industry. Just as the introduction of compact discs in the 1980s allowed record companies to increase the shelf-life of albums on the pretext that the latest technology provided the consumer with "a more authentic audio experience", so to the "re-mastering" of old albums in the twenty-first century is just the latest method of maintaining sales of products for which there would otherwise no longer be a viable market. Morrissey, of course, is happy to accept this corporate crap because he's desperate for EMI to put out his next (and, if there's any justice, last) album.

If you truly believe that re-mastered recordings are "important" because they offer the listener an enhanced experience worth paying actual money for, then you're even stupider than you have to be to be a Morrissey fan in 2012.

No.27
Hey No. 27, whilst I have to agree with what you say about completists collecting various versions of the same record, you spoil it all by insulting anyone merely because they like Morrissey! I really like Morrissey records, does that make me stupid? (I know I'm really asking for it with that question!).

Hey No. 27, whilst I have to agree with what you say about completists collecting various versions of the same record, you spoil it all by insulting anyone merely because they like Morrissey! I really like Morrissey records, does that make me stupid? (I know I'm really asking for it with that question!).

Hello Peterb, no I don't think you're stupid at all. I really like Morrissey's music too (well, some of it, at least), but I think it's possible to distinguish between liking the music and liking the man.

No.27

Hello Peterb, no I don't think you're stupid at all. I really like Morrissey's music too (well, some of it, at least), but I think it's possible to distinguish between liking the music and liking the man.

No.27
Good point! To a large extent, the man is irrelevant, in 100 years the music will be all that's left.

Just been told by someone who has a CD promo that the version of Treat Me Like A Human Being is exactly the same as the demo on Glamorous Glue B-side so not a better version as hoped.

if they leave ordinary boys out its not a true reissue. add all the songs you want but don't leave any out.

Good point! To a large extent, the man is irrelevant, in 100 years the music will be all that's left.

Now that is what I'm telling you all the time. Considernig art - from The Smiths to the YOR, and beyond - His legacy is majestic benchmark.
Celebrate that!, Solowists, when you still have the time; all in all, you are - passer by.
Morrissey will stay Forever!

we'll let you know

The suggestion that there may be a "do not buy this" statement from Morrissey seems unlikely since the release is on True To You and we all know that the information posted on there is posted with Morrissey's agreement at very least.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom