Radio Ulster: Give The Smiths Back To The Irish (November 26, 2023)

p0gt7xm7.jpg

Give The Smiths Back to the Irish
Music fanatics Steven Cockcroft and Jason Carty are joined by author Sean Campbell to explore the Irish roots of legendary Manchester indie icons The Smiths.

Only on iPlayer currently - was going to make this a separate post, but until I have time to rip the audio, it'll keep.
Part of a series of give X back to the Irish.
30 minutes long.
FWD.

Edit:
Audio rip:

And download:

Much of this show is about Johnny Marr's family roots in Irish music and his attempts to channel the vibe of their all night parties in his music for the Smiths - particularly Please, Please... and That Joke.... So bizarre that they chose an image of Moz solo backed by the rump of the Smiths - promoting Playboy on TOTP iirc!

.... So bizarre that they chose an image of Moz solo backed by the rump of the Smiths - promoting Playboy on TOTP iirc!
Yes I saw that. That moment in time when we all wished Johnny would step back on stage with his guitar and say "right where were we?".

Morrissey hasn't distanced himself from Ireland - but considering the amount of garbage written about him recently, that's not a bad documentary.

Moz and his 'big mouth'. There was indeed panic on the streets of Dublin last week. His ma and da were Dubliners so I can imagine Morrissey having a strong opinion about ordinary Dubliners being labelled 'far right' for not lighting candles and singing Don't Look in Anger following an attack on children. Maybe just as well he's in Tokyo.
Much more to the point, though, where is Bonfire? Has he bought it back yet?

Yes I saw that. That moment in time when we all wished Johnny would step back on stage with his guitar and say "right where were we?".
I didn't think that. I thought the early Moz singles were as good as The Smiths and was keen to see where things would lead.

The "fall from grace" mentioned in that documentary is mainly caused by sick racists like Gash trying to exploit his name at every opportunity.

Moz and his 'big mouth'. There was indeed panic on the streets of Dublin last week. His ma and da were Dubliners so I can imagine Morrissey having a strong opinion about ordinary Dubliners being labelled 'far right' for not lighting candles and singing Don't Look in Anger following an attack on children. Maybe just as well he's in Tokyo.
The sad thing about the distorted freakshow mirror of Irish journalism, (especially in the case of the 100% pro government and morally bankrupt RTE) is that there was very little coverage about the young victims. Instead the news focused on a few skumbags out to steal a free pair of Adidas runners. There's been zero follow up on how the severly injured five year old girl is, and zero mention of the well-known fact that the psychotic perpetrator was not Irish. Oh but you can't mention something like that. RTE turns my stomach with their deliberate dismal disregard for honest coverage of what really happens. Yesterday Paul Lynch won the prestigious Booker Prize for his novel Prophet Song - a dystopian vision of Ireland in the grips of totalitarianism. The way things are going it is hard to categorise that novel as fiction. Morrissey is right about the agenda of news media. Everyone has an angle that serves their twisted views best.

As I understand it, Bonfire as it turned out was hosed by Miley Cyrus and it not being released had really nothing to do with the lyrics of the song, Capitol records, or anything else. Morrissey's manager advised him to rerecord the song that Miley sang on with a different singer or just omit the backing track itself to which seemingly Morrissey refused to do thus Miley's record company bared it's release. What on earth he sees in Miley Cyrus escapes me completely. Regarding Morrissey's big mouth strikes again, I think Morrissey is probably much more representative and in touch with an everyday middle aged dare I say white man in England and now that it is somehow a crime to be a Caucasian pissed that he is now considered in many cases a foreigner in his own country Morrissey is cancelled for speaking his mind and wearing a lapel on his jacket that is apparently outside the mainstream of what someone in a free county can do.

The documentary mentions both Morrissey & Marr being treated badly in England because they were from Irish migrant families.

The sad thing about the distorted freakshow mirror of Irish journalism, (especially in the case of the 100% pro government and morally bankrupt RTE) is that there was very little coverage about the young victims. Instead the news focused on a few skumbags out to steal a free pair of Adidas runners. There's been zero follow up on how the severly injured five year old girl is, and zero mention of the well-known fact that the psychotic perpetrator was not Irish. Oh but you can't mention something like that. RTE turns my stomach with their deliberate dismal disregard for honest coverage of what really happens. Yesterday Paul Lynch won the prestigious Booker Prize for his novel Prophet Song - a dystopian vision of Ireland in the grips of totalitarianism. The way things are going it is hard to categorise that novel as fiction. Morrissey is right about the agenda of news media. Everyone has an angle that serves their twisted views best.
The new 'hate speech' law proposed in Ireland is indeed the stuff of dystopia. The reason I mentioned Bonfire is because there has never been a better moment to release an album like that. For some the memory of the Manchester Arena bombing may have faded, no doubt, but the message of the title song, that there are things we are not allowed to say, there are emotions we are not allowed to express, has never been more current.

Last edited:
I think you can aim the same criticism at the BBC Acton, once the go to broadcasters for what was going on in the world, but not now.
I think it is absolutely outrageous what they get away with, twisting the truth and completely ignoring many very important news stories because it doesn't fit in with their agenda, and they do have an agenda, and its very dangerous.

I think you can aim the same criticism at the BBC Acton, once the go to broadcasters for what was going on in the world, but not now.
I think it is absolutely outrageous what they get away with, twisting the truth and completely ignoring many very important news stories because it doesn't fit in with their agenda, and they do have an agenda, and its very dangerous.

Dan, I don't think it's just the bbc, it's also itv, c4, probably others too. Along with neglecting THE important news, it's what they view as news (e.g. a pop group reunion, a movie review) that riles me. It's doing a great job in keeping people in the dark.

bbc scum.
do not pay your licence fee.

Obviously Gash uses everything to promote the BNP's offshoots - but are some of you worried that if Morrissey's Irish Catholic roots become more well known you won't get any publicity out of him?

Because really, I think that's over anyway.

Edit: I don't think you can push the idea that Morrissey is a white Englishman upset about being a foreigner in "his own country" when he has written about about feeling like an outsider in England because he was from an Irish Catholic migrant family.

A lot of British nationalists may feel annoyed that he was sold to them as a British nationalist if they listen to this documentary & realise that it's been a lie.

I wondered if some of spin on this thread was hoping they didn't realise it was a lie?

Gash - of course - is just doing his usual - promoting the far right while pretending they're not far right. Hijacking Morrissey's name - hoping it'll get press coverage.

Thankfully the press isn't giving it as much coverage.

Last edited:
Obviously Gash uses everything to promote the BNP's offshoots - but are some of you worried that if Morrissey's Irish Catholic roots become more well known you won't get any publicity out of him?

Because really, I think that's over anyway.
Excuse Me Reaction GIF

That's not even a picture of the Smiths. That, if I'm not mistaken, is Morrissey on TOTP doing Last of the Famous International Playboys, backed by Craig Gannon, Andy and Mike...

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom