Morrissey's singing voice - when was it best?

Morrissey's singing voice - when was it best?

• Total voters
The verses of It's Not Your Birthday Anymore. Its that slightly metallic, wobbly underwater sound. It's pretty unmistakeable. The bends in the melody are too smooth.

I hear what you're saying. I guess I don't know the digital effects (autotune?) well enough to say for sure if his voice was altered after the fact or if he was deliberately modulating his voice in that way. I'm guessing it was his natural voice.

If it was enhanced, well, it was done in a way that wasn't too offensive to my ears. I'd be disappointed in principle but the song doesn't sound artificial and doesn't really alter my original answer: he's singing better than ever.

Anyway thanks for pointing it out.

So, do you think that has anything to do with why he's only performed Birthday once?

So, do you think that has anything to do with why he's only performed Birthday once?

Not at all. It's a slow, atmospheric song that's probably really tough to get right in a live setting.

I can almost buy the idea that Morrissey would let his vocals be distorted in the studio. Maybe. He could justify it to himself by saying he was just adding a layer of interest to the song (which he's done to varying degrees all his career, as far back as "Bigmouth Strikes Again"). But I sincerely doubt he'd ever, ever record a song where he said, "Let's put some gimmicks on this even though it means I can't sing it live". The man's got some pride.

No, because the autotune is unnecessary. It's mainly heard in the verses which he could sing very easily live. I think it's probably more to do with a rushed job in production at the end of the recording process. Or maybe Finn just loved autotune and thought it was a nice effect.

I tend to agree that if AT was in fact used on It's Not...that it was used as an "effect" rather than an invisible fix. The vocals do have a very slightly processed feel, especially in the chorus. Was there any video captured of that one live airing?

Worm: thanks for clarifying -- I thought you meant YoR alone. I still believe the ratio of great-to-good-to-average-to-bad songs is not That much different than it ever has been (Smiths excluded perhaps, but I'm a solo guy).

I like your point about the "word-orgies" of Morrissey's early career. We have those lyrical flourishes forever -- I like the on-the-nose style of today, especially since it comes from more life experience. Running around with mad street boys from Napoli, getting interrogated by men in uniforms, meta-commentary on the relationship with his fans etc.

No, because the autotune is unnecessary. It's mainly heard in the verses which he could sing very easily live. I think it's probably more to do with a rushed job in production at the end of the recording process. Or maybe Finn just loved autotune and thought it was a nice effect.

Autotune? On his recent albums? I can't hear it. Is this mentioned somewhere in the press? I'd be pretty surprised.

King Leer, I was talking about all of his songs in the 00s. There was a lot of filler, to put it nicely. But the good stuff was good, and yes, I loved "Years of Refusal". His lyrics are blunter and sparser, which suits him now-- they're not the word-orgies of yore. I guess what I mean is that I'd like to hear this voice sing those lyrics. I know he does this live, but it's different in a studio. I'd love to hear him re-record, say, "The Queen Is Dead" in 2010, just to hear his peak voice do it (and not in breathless yelps from a stage).

Anyway.

I agree. Personally, I think his voice has never been better than it is now. Listening to Years of Refusal... wow. It just blows me away.

It seems to peak at different times in his career though. During the Smiths, I think it was best (and strongest) on TQID, early solo either YA or V&I, and on his most recent albums- as well as live. I watched a video of 'I'm OK By Myself' from Berlin in the summer recently and he sounds just incredible.

I voted for the early Smiths, just because no one else did. Love his voice from The Smiths till now and how it changed through time but it still remained unique.

I think that You were good in your time is one his best performances ever. Top 3, definitely. But is he generally at the top of his league right now? Hard to say. I don't think he pulls the rockers off as good as he used to.

I voted for the early Smiths, just because no one else did. Love his voice from The Smiths till now and how it changed through time but it still remained unique.

Wow, I'm the only person who has voted on this poll who genuinely believes his voice was the best on the first Smiths album then. He could really wail on that record, I think there's more emotion conveyed through the vocals on it than on any other.

I voted for late smiths/early solo, it was hard to choose because I think he sang better while in The Smiths in general, but he is lucky to still sound so good and still unique.

Back
Top Bottom