Morrissey Talks Label Troubles, Glastonbury - from Pitchfork magazine online

Re: Article: Morrissey Talks Label Troubles, Glastonbury - from Pitchfork magazine on

Oh, here we go - another "I'm pretending to work in the industry because it'll hopefully give my post an air of authority it wouldn't otherwise have". My wife DOES work for a major label and her genuinely informed opinion is that while fan forums may be a minor consideration in gauging the buzz surrounding a NEW band and targeting the marketing accordingly, the idea that they would have any bearing at all on dealings with artists of the stature of Moz, Bowie etc is laughable.

Really laughable.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

So you think a record company doesn't use Market research?........ie looking at and utilising all types of media.....you and you're wife are mistaken.

Moz should hire a dream team to market his album. He doesn't want to make his own label, but the sad thing is, the people who have the skill and passion to market him to his satisfaction are not wealthy enough to start a business just for Moz. He can hire them. The major label uses specific tactics to get their artists commercial play and some of them are illegal. The goal is for one or some of their artists to make the Top 10 (ever notice the same song is played every hour?) and the profits they reap recoup their losses on all the "loser" artists. (Does he know for sure that Adele's label did not pay for play? Talent has nothing to do with it.) In the mean time the artists AND the music audience is SCREWED. Moz always acted like he hated the ruling class, but he keeps endorsing them. He is one of them unfortunately. Believe it or not, the radio stations do care if you like a song, but they also know that consumers take in a lot of garbage and the repetition is a form of brainwashing.
If Moz decides to use my idea and hire talented professionals (who also happen to be his fans) to help him accomplish what he wants, then just make sure he doesn't hire Amanda Gresiak because she is unprofessional and dishonest.

Re: Article: Morrissey Talks Label Troubles, Glastonbury - from Pitchfork magazine on

Which fans are telling him "enough is enough" - the ones who ensured that most dates on the current tour sold out in a matter of minutes?

"Record companies look at these forums now and gauge fan opinion" - LMFAO, without doubt a contender for the most stupid, misguided and blatantly untrue comment ever posted on Solo.

And by the way, you start your pathetic list with the portentous pronouncement "Here are a few facts" - why not pick up a dictionary and look up the difference between "facts" and "opnions". I found it very sad that your diatribe was littered with rubbish about returning to this, going back to that. If you've failed to grasp that SPM never looks back (we'd have had a Smiths reunion years ago if that were the case), then you clearly know nothing about the man.

I couldn't have said it better. Those so-called fans who are bitching about everything all the time are so lame it's not even worth commenting on them.
I agree the sleeves for the albums are crap, though.
I love the new songs, I can't wait to hear them in the context of an album and properly produced.

A wise man once said "Just because you're offended, doesn't mean that you're in the right". Never has this quote been more relevant than on this site.

Yes, some of you may not like Morrisseys new material, some of you may hate Jesse Tobias and some may think he's passed his sell-by-date - you're perfectly entitled to feel so. However, I still love Morrissey, his band and his new music. I don't want him to retire. As long as people still like his music (which they do), he will continue. If you don't like it, please, do yourselves a favour and don't listen to it but to dictate to him that "enough is enough" is absurd. I know it's a cliche, but seriously, to quote another great man "If you don't like me then don't look at me".

It is clear Morrissey does not sell enough albums whether physical or digital, your only as good as your last album.

He keeps shooting himself in the foot after the glory of Arsenal & vauxhall, makes 2 duff backward albums, loses record Company interest and spends 7 years in the wilderness without writing a book or something.

Insists his backing bands are better than the smiths, NOT, Alain whyte learns to play guitar and make the splendid YATQ.
makes 2 more albums with needless stocking fillers, 7 years down the line no Record Company interest.
Morrissey is the same everywhere, here we go round the Merry-Goround, round, round!!

At heart Morrissey is a private man, HMV (pun) albums sell themselves albeit Mozzer touting and creating a storm/stirrer, not forgetting reputable marketing/distrubution from a company that understands our Moz.

His solo albums are brilliant, a major artist like this without a label, its sickening, the trolls and cretins of x factor and all that other bland crap seem to have won and as for a lot of these up and coming indie wannabes, give me a break.

The band is average. Alain Whyte & Deano should have never left the band - the Quarry tour was Moz's best - both musically and creatively - and showed a major return to form - lost since Viva Hate. Then the downward spiral came - hitting rock bottom with Ringleader , just as he had before with Kil Uncle. Of the 3 new songs - action is my midddle name is by far the best , with the kid's a looker by far the weakest of the 3. People are the same everywhere is a passable b side - nothing more. On the reocrd deal front - it's well known Morrissey is difficult to deal with - and that reputation doesn't help. Sanctuary is long gone - and possibly with it - his chances of a record deal - i do hope not. He i the only lyricist who is truly original , willing to provoke interest and intrigue , and able to craft clever songs that have true meaning. Viva la Moz !

His (poor) cover versions of The Smiths' songs tell rather a different story. They reek of desperation.

2000 people in Bradford tonight seemed to be enjoying the smiths songs in the set!

Morrissey's music from ROTT to the present day are not good enough. That's why there has been no interest in signing him.

It's his age (just true). It's his poor writing partners and it's the band (he should have a much better lead guitarist and bassist).

mike joyce had a point that rang true throughout morrissey's solo career - that morrissey wasn't a musician. he had a habit of releasing the weaker songs on albums as first singles (we hate it.. dagahem dave.. alma matters etc) and throwing better songs away as b-sides (lost, nobody loves us etc). there's both a lack of judgement and taste here.

did anyone listen to any of the music on alain whyte's website after he left the band? there was a lot of music morrissey rejected and it was more experimental, ie interesting than what was chosen (so i suspect it's often not morrissey isn't provided with good material - he just prefers the dad-rock-dirge - so selects that as a 'musical' backdrop).

the 'The band I have now are exceptional' comment is indeed scary and completely out of touch with reality. it's a old tired pub rock band who do smiths/morrissey covers (at best).

i dont think even stephen street would be able to do much with the band/material in place - unless he was writing all the songs and could get a performance from them.

though its no wonder there's a bring back street campaign! he had a clear idea of what was commercial and good - which is rare - marr was probably the same. and there needs to be a musician give direction. not sycophants.

i dont think even stephen street would be able to do much with the band/material in place - unless he was writing all the songs and could get a performance from them.

What has Street written since 1990?

I don't understand why so many people dislike Jesse. He's not a bad musician. Sure, I miss the old line-up, too. I adore Alain, Gary, and Spencer. To me, Boz is amazing and I'm really thankful he's still with Morrissey. A part of me wishes Deano was still around, but we have to move on and accept the players of todays line-up. Obviously it's not that bad. The gigs are getting great reviews, aren't they? There is nothing wrong with being a traditionalist, and maybe we, as fans, should start writing record companies and demanding a new Morrissey album instead of moaning and groaning here on solo. Maybe if we do something, we'll get a new album. I know it sounds impossible, but why not give it a try? Basically, it's what the people want, and if enough people ask...who's to say it can't happen?

But then I don't know a lot about the politics of music. I just can't stand that there's a new Morrissey album waiting for us, but no way to hear it. That's a tragedy.

Parts of the interview sound like his publicist answered them. I also don't know why he would give Pitchfork the time of day when the vast majority of the music they review/promote is crap. They even had the gall to savage Young the Giant's album. I must say it feels like the early 2000's again with Moz out of contract and trying to drum up a record deal. Pitchfork even recycled one of the questions (why don't you release music over the internet? blah, blah) from the lean years. Problem is Moz has either left or alienated the few record companies left standing. Another 7 years and we're talking 60:eek:

The reason Morrissey hasn't got a record deal is because the music he is writing at the moment is awful. He can blame other people but that's the bottom line.

I am making this judgement based on his outstanding back catalogue with the both The Smiths and as a solo artist. Very few people have reached the heights that he has reached as an artist but I guess that just means that when you fall you fall further.

I've been a fan of his for 20 odd years but I really felt for the guy at Glastonbury. The new songs were very ordinary and I expect so much more from him because his music was always so extraordinary.

I have said this on this site before, but he has to put a new band together and go in a new musical direction. He needs to experiment and try something new - even if in some people's eyes he fails. Morrissey's at his best when he's edgy, when he's up against it. It's all a bit TOO safe, a bit too cabaret for me at the moment and it's becoming boring.

If anyone's going to make that big creative comeback it will be Moz though. And I REALLY hope he does.

Wouldn't it be lovely if he hooked up with a band like Deerhoof - someone with a little bit of edge to reinvigorate him? But the truth is, we're talking about a middle-aged fellow, past 50, famously stubborn and stuck in his ways. Terribly sad that someone who was once able to conjure up quirky delights like "Stretch Out and Wait" or "Lifeguard Sleeping, Girl Drowning" is now stranded in an artistic cul-de-sac, but there we have it. We can't all be Bob Dylan.

2000 people in Bradford tonight seemed to be enjoying the smiths songs in the set!

That was pretty much the point I was making, you tool. Their reliance of cover versions of The Smiths' songs is what lures people in. Nobody wants to hear anything off, at least, the last 2 albums and who could blame them?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom