An open letter to Morrissey - from Side-Line Music Magazine

Yeah I agree somewhat, but what is the alternative? He does something extremely insensitive and hurtful just to provoke sensationalism and controversy, and we all find it horrific and don't say anything? That's too much like approving.

That's why you don't become apart of the 'we.' I'm not changing my course of action. I'll still listen to his music (if I like it), and I'll still go see him if he tours near me (provided I like the music). His career is almost over - I don't say this because of what's been going on recently, I say this because he's putting his autobiography out in a year and it just seems like that's what's going to happen. I'm racking my brain for something that he could say or do that would get me to think it'd make a difference to him if I stopped listening to the music of his that I like; the truth is, no one should let a pop singer's words rule their lives or make their decisions. I'm given to understand that more than a few people who have been really into Morrissey for the majority of his career are now trying to fool themselves into either thinking that A) they'll have the resolve to never listen to the music of one of their favorite artists (who, before making such comments, had "spoken" to them with his "real" lyrics which "saved" their lives) or B) if enough of his fans effectively turn their back on him, he'll make amends in some way as his career is dwindling to an end. I don't care if it appears as if I'm approving. I know what I think, and that's really all that matters to me. I like the music, and I'm going to listen to it if I continue to like it. I can't be bothered with these Morrissey politics, as all it amounts to is an endless chain of 17+ pages of the same opinions rehashed over and over again on a forum that only occasionally is of actual use to me. None of it makes me like the music any less.

Bernard Van Isacker? Is he a chaacter from the Simpsons?

Berni Inn....f*** off

That's why you don't become apart of the 'we.' I'm not changing my course of action. I'll still listen to his music (if I like it), and I'll still go see him if he tours near me (provided I like the music). His career is almost over - I don't say this because of what's been going on recently, I say this because he's putting his autobiography out in a year and it just seems like that's what's going to happen. I'm racking my brain for something that he could say or do that would get me to think it'd make a difference to him if I stopped listening to the music of his that I like; the truth is, no one should let a pop singer's words rule their lives or make their decisions. I'm given to understand that more than a few people who have been really into Morrissey for the majority of his career are now trying to fool themselves into either thinking that A) they'll have the resolve to never listen to the music of one of their favorite artists (who, before making such comments, had "spoken" to them with his "real" lyrics which "saved" their lives) or B) if enough of his fans effectively turn their back on him, he'll make amends in some way as his career is dwindling to an end. I don't care if it appears as if I'm approving. I know what I think, and that's really all that matters to me. I like the music, and I'm going to listen to it if I continue to like it. I can't be bothered with these Morrissey politics, as all it amounts to is an endless chain of 17+ pages of the same opinions rehashed over and over again on a forum that only occasionally is of actual use to me. None of it makes me like the music any less.

Great post, and I mostly agree...maybe I just have more time on my hands and I enjoy a good debate.

I would only add to what you said that while I agree that none of this protesting and caterwauling and boycotting and foul-crying "makes a difference," nonetheless I, personally, find it hard to take even just his music seriously because I can't stop thinking of what a schmuck he has turned into.

Right now ?

I'm just a nice kid from Brooklyn trying to get a cab

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I find this stuff baffleing - Do you like the song "Meat is Murder"? - have you listened to the words? - he really means it, you know and always has - let me explain: its like he thinks, Meat yeah, is like, the same, yeah, as Murder - get it! - this view isn't new or shocking - maybe shocking in 1985!

Yet we get a yawnsome open letter - lol - and the moderators on here agree with every word!!

Clearly Morrissey has gone too far! - he suddenly thinks meat is the same as murder - he's gone mad and should retire!!! - sigh bet this makes the front page

seems the story made the front page twice! - amazing

by the way folks: this incident inspired me to find a good Moz site and join! More in tune with the Moz now!! thanks!

As pointed out by the reader, it's better to let people making a fool of themselves and not giving them more attention.

Oh.

Side-line.com has spun things towards their point of view before. I can't buy their statement here because they don't always act with integrity.
They recently claimed and one cancelled their gigs because the audience sucked. Steve Naghavi never said that. I'm peeved at them for that. They post news in German and hope people won't realise they are mistranslating because they have it out for Steve.
I do appreciate side-line.com for ebm/synth news and the forum is great.

I've been a vegetarian most of my life. I'm different than Moz I guess because I'm able to sit down at dinner with people eating meat [unless its steak & shrimp which will cause me to puke.] I don't look on my three toddler nieces as murderers for sure.

I think he could have made his point about animals without bringing up Norway victims but this is Moz's personal beliefs. He truly does think meat is murder. He has his principals. We fans signed on for that whether we eat meat or not.

My mom said 911 didn't compare to her emotional pain of a break-up.
People say stupid stuff.

I have an ongoing problem as a Moz fan.Whilst loving his music (last album a bit dodgy though) the man is obviously either an idiot or has mental health issues. I remember seeing him on 'The One Show' where they were discussing unemployment. His contribrition was to suggest that we should stop worrying about work and write some poetry.
I think it's unfortunate that he's feels compelled to speak out. Pop stars are singers not philosophers or politicians. I say, shut your trap Moz and make a decent album. I think you need a better band for a start. Boz is a great song writer but they are really a heavy handed clunky band.

Back
Top Bottom