Mojo Magazine: October Issue #359 - Smiths 40yrs feature (August 10, 2023)

mojo-359-cover-the-smiths_1.jpg

COVER STORY: THE SMITHS
Forty years on, MOJO revisits the sounds and the stories of a watershed band’s explosive arrival. “My brother said, ‘What kind of music is it?’ Funk? Punk… folk… rock?’” recalls drummer Mike Joyce. “I said, ‘I can’t describe it.’”

MOJO #359, October 2023 - The Smiths.

COMMEMORATING 40 YEARS since they burst onto the music scene and in tribute to their abundantly talented, recently departed bassist Andy Rourke, MOJO returns to 1983 to relive the freshness and wonder of The Smiths and their reinvention of guitars. Also in the issue: Bob Marley – live, intimate and unseen; the incomparable Sinéad O’Connor; Gram Parsons’ Americana visions; Tony Visconti – a life in knob-twiddling. Plus: Hawkwind; Pulp; The Bee Gees; Bridget St John; Blake Mills; Pretenders; Yoko Ono; Neil Young; Herb Alpert; OMD; Paul Rodgers; The Coral; Betty Davis and more!

THIS MONTH’S COVERMOUNT CD is You’ve Got Everything Now! – an indie rock blow-out starring The Sugarcubes, The Wedding Present, The Fall, The Pastels, The Three Johns, Red Guitars and more!

Regards,
FWD.

(note: when this is available digitally, the actual content will be added to the OP - see post #3 as now available).

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

Same old, same old…
Why not a ‘40 years of Morrissey’-issue?
Sadly, you only see or read about Morrissey if it concerns the Smiths from 1982 - 1987, otherwise its the usual shit.
Its annoying but just goes to show how the music press is now just like all other media, following an agenda designed to bore us all to death

Surely it's all been said before, and probably in a better way. These magazines (e.g. Mojo, Uncut) are rubbish. It took me a while to realise it but I'm pleased I did. I cannot believe they still print them. And don't get me started on the "reviews". Oh well, I've started... Nearly EVERY album is 4/5, or 8/10, or whatever high score in the marking they use. No album is that good nowadays.

Dagenham Dan "Its annoying but just goes to show how the music press is now just like all other media, following an agenda designed to bore us all to death". I totally agree with you.

Last edited:
Anything that gets increased visibility for The Smiths is a good thing

gets people picking up a copy on the spur of the moment in WHS Smiths as they wait for a train / flight or enables younger fans to read up on the band & see all those classics photos in well presented format

Older fans / collectors may feel its money for old rope , but you don’t have to buy it (although I know the urge is strong & I’m sure will anyway :)lol

Mike & Morrissey make a cute couple.

Weren’t they lovers for a while?

I read that somewhere on this site.

❤️

Surely it's all been said before, and probably in a better way. These magazines (e.g. Mojo, Uncut) are rubbish. It took me a while to realise it but I'm pleased I did. I cannot believe they still print them. And don't get me started on the "reviews". Oh well, I've started... Nearly EVERY album is 4/5, or 8/10, or whatever high score in the marking they use. No album is that good nowadays.

Dagenham Dan "Its annoying but just goes to show how the music press is now just like all other media, following an agenda designed to bore us all to death". I totally agree with you.
It's always that same photo too or others almost identical to that one.

Mike & Morrissey make a cute couple.

Weren’t they lovers for a while?

I read that somewhere on this site.

❤️
This theory has been put forward on here before , by a high profile ex moderator.
Cites it as one of the reasons for the split.
For what my opinion is worth , all a nonsense.

Anything that gets increased visibility for The Smiths is a good thing

gets people picking up a copy on the spur of the moment in WHS Smiths as they wait for a train / flight or enables younger fans to read up on the band & see all those classics photos in well presented format

Older fans / collectors may feel its money for old rope , but you don’t have to buy it (although I know the urge is strong & I’m sure will anyway :)lol

Smiths photos can be so cool too -> like the photos of them on the streets of Paris in '84 (used in Hatful sleeve), Morrissey on-stage with the 'Two Light Ales' sign, etc. They had such a unique look, and the photos always had a bit of mystery to them. Even the photos of Morrissey alone (during the Smiths period) were like staged portraits (e.g. him lying on the ground with his typewriter).

I even like how this photo is from the same shoot in '83 at the old airport hanger/train station (w/the gladioli), but the faces/poses are slightly different. There's so many from that photo shoot that some of us longtime fans are still discovering, it's pretty cool :D

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom