Is there a song the you have trouble seeing as part of the Moz/Smiths canon?

Get off the Stage
Tony the Pony

The only two Morrissey songs that i would honestly describe as truly awful. Therefore, un-Morrissey like and not in the canon for me.

I'm not a lover of Daddy's Voice either btw.

But Girlfriend in a Coma is soooo Morrissey. Just the title alone smacks of him. :)

Although I like this topic, I find it quite difficult to answer. I always found that the odd random "un-Morrissey like" song has always been part of the package. From 'Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others' fading in right at the end of 'The Queen is Dead', to covers of 'Golden Lights' & 'Work is a Four-Letter Word' (both of which I really like), 'You're the One For Me, Fatty', 'Roy's Keen' and 'Don't Make Fun of Daddy's Voice', amongst others. There are no songs that I find hard to put into my own "Morrissey cannon", even the ones that I don't like. Every song tells its own story and they all deserve to be there IMO!

altho Morrissey's post-Street solo stuff has always been hit and miss, the post 'wilderness years' material has included a very unappealing new type of Morrissey song; clumsy, unsubtle, angry, simplistic or blunt.
songs in this category include Crashing Bores, How can anybody? Irish blood, That's how people grow up, Kegs between legs, You have killed me, Work of art, OK by myself, Father must be killed etc (altho some of these duff lyrics are rescued by strong music).
when you hear a new Morrissey song which has his original qualities of empathy, poetry, compassion, subtlety etc such as Christian Dior or When Last I Spoke to Carol, it's such a breath of fresh air.
I think the new anger in his music mainly reflects what he's gone through in the last 10 or so years (court cases, spats with the music press, varying levels of commercial success/failure) so there's probably no going back now.
it's pretty much unthinkable that he'd write a song with the beauty and humility of You Should Have Been Nice To Me these days...

Ohhh there's quite a number of songs that don't fit in my opinion. "Human Being" was quite an unnecessary cover in my view. As was "Trash". His rendition of Roxy Music's "Street Life" was sub-par too, (though I absolutely adore RM's original verson) "Disco Dancer" and "Death At One's Elbow". "Dear God, Please Help Me" is plain embarrassing, and not only because of the kegs. "Michael's Bones"..."Papa Jack"....oh well :squiffy:.

I'm a huge admirer of "Sweetie-Pie" though.

it is indeed a bit twee, now wouldnt it be rad if he did a whole twee like album! :love:

I was thinking about this the other day -- how many of his B-sides, specifically from the Quarry era as well as "Shame is the Name" -- would make a Morrissey album very pop-oriented. Morrissey said in the liner notes of the new Southpaw Legacy edition that "the weaker tracks became singles." I think it's safe to say that several of the B-sides Morrissey has procured, especially in recent years, could have garnered him the #1 single that has been eluding him. The singles tend to be very catchy, and a lot of them would be radio-friendly. But we have trouble seeing such songs on a Morrissey album, I think. Not that album songs are not catchy, but the difference is they are more meaningful and memorable for different reasons. I'm not quite sure if I'm wording what I'm saying correctly..:blushing: Anyone see what I'm saying?

I was thinking about this the other day -- how many of his B-sides, specifically from the Quarry era as well as "Shame is the Name" -- would make a Morrissey album very pop-oriented. Morrissey said in the liner notes of the new Southpaw Legacy edition that "the weaker tracks became singles." I think it's safe to say that several of the B-sides Morrissey has procured, especially in recent years, could have garnered him the #1 single that has been eluding him. The singles tend to be very catchy, and a lot of them would be radio-friendly. But we have trouble seeing such songs on a Morrissey album, I think. Not that album songs are not catchy, but the difference is they are more meaningful and memorable for different reasons. I'm not quite sure if I'm wording what I'm saying correctly..:blushing: Anyone see what I'm saying?

Yeah, I agree. :thumb: Looking at that 'Favourite B-Sides/Unreleased' thread, some of my favourite songs, and the ones I listen to the most, are B-sides.

For The Smiths, it's definitely Golden Lights. Terrible song, and remote from everything I connect with them.

cheers

yes golden lights sucks and so does the operation,off southpaw grammar.his worst cd is kill uncle,apart from that the man just keeps on improving.hes brill.:thumb:

I find much of the Kill Uncle era tracks challenging to listen to - "The Harsh Truth of the Camera Eye", "Asian Rut", "Journalists Who Lie" - they're either too long, too dreary, or simply not pleasant to hear. On the other hand, I immensely enjoy "Tony The Pony", with its eminently listenable bass line.

Back
Top Bottom