Get morrissey to number one

I'm not really sure what you're saying here. I said that nostalgia for The Smiths often gets mistaken for admiration of present-day Morrissey - thus appearing to make him more respected/popular/prominent than he really is - when he and the Smiths are poles apart in 2010 in every way I can think of. Many people I know loved The Smiths for their attitude, aesthetic, lyrics, etc etc back in the '80s - and now see our man Moz as a tired has-been. It is the same for a lot of pop stars when they've been on the block a few decades, of course.
Oh well. All I can say is I don't agree regarding Morrissey as a tired has-been, just like all those other round-the-block pop stars. I think if he was still replicating exactly what he was doing in The Smiths it would be kind of ridiculous and rubbish and un-natural. I think he reflects back on his Smiths era in interesting and illuminating ways, but plenty disagree. Such is life.

Oh well. All I can say is I don't agree regarding Morrissey as a tired has-been, just like all those other round-the-block pop stars. I think if he was still replicating exactly what he was doing in The Smiths it would be kind of ridiculous and rubbish and un-natural. I think he reflects back on his Smiths era in interesting and illuminating ways, but plenty disagree. Such is life.

I agree completely. I think his recent material though, with a few notable exceptions (My Dearest Love, Something is Squeezing.., It's Not Your Birthday Anymore etc) is mediocre at best. He needs a fresh sound and a few fresh band members, but that's a different debate entirely.

Last edited:
I agree completely. I think his recent material though, with a few notable exceptions (My Dearest Love, Something is Squeezing.., It's Not Your Birthday Anymore etc) is mediocre at best. He needs a fresh sound and a few fresh band members, but that's a different debate entirely.

the duff lyrics are actually his biggest problem.
musical compositions like When I Last Spoke to Carol, My Dearest Love, and Birthday Anymore are hard to fault.
the quality of Morrissey's lyrcis has declined enormously, hand-in-hand with the quality of his interviews. they both used to be wonderful, witty brilliantly observed/expressed things to behold.
now (with only the occasional exception) they're largely humourless, charmless, bitter and predictable. turning this around is his biggest challenge.

the duff lyrics are actually his biggest problem.
musical compositions like When I Last Spoke to Carol, My Dearest Love, and Birthday Anymore are hard to fault.
the quality of Morrissey's lyrcis has declined enormously, hand-in-hand with the quality of his interviews. they both used to be wonderful, witty brilliantly observed/expressed things to behold.
now (with only the occasional exception) they're largely humourless, charmless, bitter and predictable. turning this around is his biggest challenge.

I think he has stopped caring, and I find that the saddest thing of all.

Back
Top Bottom