Morrissey for UK Number 1: FB group

girl still ill

Half a person
Has anyone else seen this facebook group? They are trying to get "Everyday is like Sunday" to the UK number 1 on Sunday 17th Jan.

Obviously the RATM single has set a precedent, and we are gonna end up with loads of facebook groups trying to get not so good songs to the top of the charts!

What does everyone think?

Re: Morrissey for UK Number 1?

Official name of the group is "Morrissey for Number 1 in UK charts", just in case anyone would like to join. Currently has 50 members, so a little way to go then :)

Oh dear:squiffy:
There's probably 100 facebook groups out there all trying the same thing for a different artist:rolleyes:

Jukebox Jury

If they are going to do this I think a Smiths song would be a better choice to be honest. More people like The Smiths in the UK than Moz solo.

Some people tried a download campaign via this site a year or so ago (?) to get Life Is A Pigsty to number one for Morrissey's birthday. It didn't even make the Top 100.

The RATM thing was to prove a point about the monopolisation of the xmas number one by the X Factor and worked. It was a protest condoned by people regardless of whether they liked RATM or Killing In The Name but as a general token of defiance against the lack of competition for the xmas no.1 which is why so many thousands got behind it.

For your interest

Some people tried a download campaign via this site a year or so ago (?) to get Life Is A Pigsty to number one for Morrissey's birthday. It didn't even make the Top 100.

The RATM thing was to prove a point about the monopolisation of the xmas number one by the X Factor and worked. It was a protest condoned by people regardless of whether they liked RATM or Killing In The Name but as a general token of defiance against the lack of competition for the xmas no.1 which is why so many thousands got behind it.

It was in February 2007, not for Morrissey's birthday.

Pity some people didn't realise the fact that jumping bandwagon of RATM campaign does not make any difference.

I also pointed out this before that in 2008 people started downloading Leonard Cohen and Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah because of Alexandra Burke's cover version.

Last edited:
Re: For your interest

It was in February 2007, not for Morrissey's birthday.

Pity some people didn't realise the fact that jumping bandwagon of RATM campaign does not make any difference.

I also pointed out this before that in 2008 people started downloading Leonard Cohen and Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah because of Alexandra Burke's cover version.

:rolleyes:

MOST people (myself included) used the RATM single campaign as a vote against the X-Factor. It stopped Cowell, it caused that ridiculous broomstick Cole to reveal herself as the stupid inane twat she really is and it got a song to number 1 that I actually like.

And I also downloaded Cohen's original/Buckley's cover of Hallelujah last year out of sheer anger and hate that the aforementioned freak show would destroy that song in the way that it did :mad:

I dont think a Moz campaign in a similar vein would work though.

Yes! Let's get ''America is not the world'' to number 1:rofl:
(Though we'd have to edit the line out about a black person never being President:thumb:)

Jukebox Jury

Replace the rhythm section with electro-dance synths, add "ft. Lil Wayne" to the artist category..I do believe we're on to something :lbf:

It stopped Cowell, it caused that ridiculous broomstick Cole to reveal herself as the stupid inane twat she really is and it got a song to number 1 that I actually like.

Erm, how did any of this actually happen?

Cowell is gearing up for X Factor 2010, Joe McElderry is still number two in the charts with RATM at Number 40. Nobody who would have bought Joe's single bought RATM instead, nobody was taught anything about the stupidly selfish idea of "real music" and the fact it's dropped 38 places in a week would lead me to believe that Cowell is still the real winner.

And how did it show Cheryl up? By getting her a number 5 single (not promoted on the show) and number 11 song entering it's third month inside the top 20.

Essentially let's be honest with each other, all this campaign proved was that some people don't like X Factor, but X Factor proves week-to-week (even after it finished) that a lot of people love it. One thinks you're more guilty of believing your own hype that Cowell ever has.

Well, at least it does show that X-factor pisses off enough people to make something like this possible. Which I do think is worth something.

cheers

Have now changed the date to the first Sunday in March. They realised they needed over 6000 downloads to get to the top, and that aint gonna happen in 2 weeks.

I agree, the RATM campaign proved there are enough people out there who would do anything to prevent the X Factor single being number one.

This campaign has no point and is therefore a little bit sad.

Erm, how did any of this actually happen?

Cowell is gearing up for X Factor 2010, Joe McElderry is still number two in the charts with RATM at Number 40. Nobody who would have bought Joe's single bought RATM instead, nobody was taught anything about the stupidly selfish idea of "real music" and the fact it's dropped 38 places in a week would lead me to believe that Cowell is still the real winner.

What it did, was this:
The Xmas number one in the UK is the most (or was when I was a kid in the 70's) coverted number one in the whole year. I can recall every Xmas number one throughout the whole 70's......
What we have seen since the start of X Factor, is the winner is ''guarenteed' to be number 1 for Xmas. The RATM campaign ended that ''guarentee''. The point against the X Factor is that we know this years 2010 winner will also be number 1.... and that is regardless of the quality of the song or singer - unless another campaign is started to topple that too. People are fed up of the charts being manipulated in this way, where the whole show is timed to end the week before Xmas and for the winner to ''get the top slot''.
Who cares the RATM sing was number 40 this week. Who cares anything about the charts in the first week of the year..... X Factor can be number 1 for all we care...but the fact remains, that the winner will go down in history as the first winner NOT to be number 1 at Xmas and that will piss Cowell off more than anything.... money and manipulation simply couldn't buy him that number 1 spot.

Jukebox Jury

Have now changed the date to the first Sunday in March. They realised they needed over 6000 downloads to get to the top, and that aint gonna happen in 2 weeks.

Bloody hell, and there was me thinking we were only going to be :o:o for two weeks...now we have eight weeks:rolleyes:

Jukebox Jury

Back
Top Bottom