Favorite Track from YOR

Favorite Track from Years of Refusal

• Total voters
Well, looks like the best four songs are all Alain Whyte compositions. Let's hope he and Moz can maintain (at least) their songwriting relationship.
All the songs with no votes (so far) were written by Boz or Jesse.

Is there anything that would make a decent follow-up single? That will determine whether the album has any chart longevity/decent sales. First of the Gang and Everyday is Like Sunday have been the only second singles strong enough to revitalise the albums from whence they came.
Otherwise, they tend to drop from the chart within 4-6 weeks…

Birthday and Paris get my vote! both great songs! The Album works very well as a collection of songs, but in an age where downloading individual tracks is vital, i fear for its success!

I cannot decide between Birthday and Carol...both great tracks

Love PTxx.

Birthday and Paris get my vote! both great songs! The Album works very well as a collection of songs, but in an age where downloading individual tracks is vital, i fear for its success!

While in most cases this would be a legitimate concern, the biggest problem with this album that will prevent music sales is the word Morrissey on the cover.

At this point in time, radio stations are not going to just start playing his songs. Whoever plays him now will play this record. Whoever doesn't will continue to ignore him.

It's sad when bands like Nickleback get played BECAUSE the name on the record is Nickleback but that's the sad world we live in.

At this point in time, radio stations are not going to just start playing his songs. Whoever plays him now will play this record. Whoever doesn't will continue to ignore him.

This isn't strictly the case. Although many stations (e.g. Capital and Magic) won't play a Morrissey song regardless of how good it is, there are a few that will make a judgement on the quality of the song.
Radio 2's the obvious example. THPGU was their most played song for a couple of weeks, but they didn't even put AYNIM on their C list.
Xfm will always give some spins to a Morrrissey single but this will also depend on how good they think it is. Unlike Virgin, they're keen to stay on good terms with him so would never completely ignore his stuff. Virgin will only playlist Morrissey songs which they consider to be particularly good (First of the Gang was the last one they playlisted).

So difficult to choose and I'll probably end up changing my mind over and over. However right now, 'Its Not Your Birthday' actually send shivers up and down my spine:p:p Moz at his very best:guitar:

It's pretty damn easy. I think It's Not Your Birthday Anymore just beat out I Know It's Over as my favorite all-time now.... :D:D:D:D

Carol and Skull are my favs. With Carol edging it out for best song.

AYNIM might have been my favorite if I had not been listening to it for the last 10 months.

Skull has grown large balls and is an absolutely irresistible second single. Has to be. Best on the album by a mile. Black Cloud and Birthday honourable second and third.

By the way, I apologise to Mr. Morrissey for downloading it, I know I shouldn't have, but my message to you is that it's your best in years, and I will be buying every format as well as attending gigs.

Peter

Skull has grown large balls and is an absolutely irresistible second single. Has to be. Best on the album by a mile. Black Cloud and Birthday honourable second and third.

By the way, I apologise to Mr. Morrissey for downloading it, I know I shouldn't have, but my message to you is that it's your best in years, and I will be buying every format as well as attending gigs.

Peter

P.S - The start of Black Cloud reminds me so much of Death Cult/Cult (Ghost Dance/83rd Dream), and it chugs along with the bassline of Eton Rifles, which is no bad thing at all. All in all, a terrific return to top form.

It's Not Your Birthday Anymore, is f***ing gorgeous!
I was so damned worried that this album wasn't going to be very good, but I truly love it, its beautiful...

Black Cloud absolutely rocks and I love it.
I'm not understanding the Carol love, but maybe I just need to listen to it a few more times. Sometimes the place a song falls on an album influences my like/dislike for it at first, because I already get overwhelmed with the first songs and need to absorb them for a while.

I must be the only one that likes "You were good in your time". It's just so soothing and you can really hear his voice so clearly.

It's Not Your Birthday Anymore, is f***ing gorgeous!

I agree. I was rather impressed with the choice to make the drumkit sound as though it's in a completely separate studio with the door open but recording at the same time as the voice.

Back
Top Bottom