Did you see Morrissey 25 at the cinema?

Saw it; loved it...especially the end. They showed it in the biggest theater of the bunch, and for that reason, the sound was spectacular! I'm glad they didn't overdo the imagery on Meat Is Murder. Can't wait to get it on Blu-Ray or DVD.

Here are some pics from the opening sequence... not great quality though. Couldn't keep taking pics as it would have disturbed everyone else. So I just took a few at the beginning of the film.

25: Live Pics

Oh! You can get throw out and/or arrested for recording film footage here in the UK. People are assumed to be trying to pirate the film to put online. We have these dire warnings before the film starts exhorting us to report any such behaviour to the authorities. It's a bit OTT,

I'm surprised to read you're one of those compulsive clickers. I do find this compulsive behaviour confusing and irritating at concerts. Do you not find that it stops the immersive quality of a show (film/gig)? At a gig, I like to be at the gig, not telling everyone on social media "oh, look at me! I'm at the Morrissey gig, doesn't that convey taste and cultural authenticity? I bet you are jeaous of my Timeline! oh, and here's a pic of my pre-gig munchies at an expensive restaurant". It's ridiculous.

I think this will be banned at gigs very soon and I can't understand why performers have put up with it to date. A festival in Poland is at the leading edge on this issue:

""Unsound is imposing a ban on photographs and filming of live shows as part of its 2013 INTERFERENCE theme – no photo passes will be given to media, and audience members should resist the temptation to put cameras or mobile phones into action."
"The idea behind this ban is not to denigrate photographers or cast aspersions upon the desire to take snapshots of one's own life," they continued. "But rather an experiment in resisting contemporary habits as they pertain to instant documentation, 'sharing', and lived experience."

http://www.nme.com/news/miscellaneous/72356

For once, the NME are stunningly ahead of the curve:

http://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/put-that-shit-away-should-smartphones-be-banned-at-gigs

So, were the audience at Hollywood High 'immersed' in the actual experience, or compulsively documenting it for social media one-upmanship? I wonder if Morrissey regards the flash of Noika Lumias as more evidence of being 'worshipped' and a substitute for genuine paparazzi status, or if he finds it a distraction and suspects that the main reason many are there is to say "Look at me! I'm at an expensive show. Aren't I coolio?"

Once again, your account of your visit to the cinema was refreshing and entirely free of neurosis, so I'm surprised you're part of that camera cult!

Here's a funny snipe at 'devotional fans' from a guy. It takes aim at Radiohead's cult. It's not just Moz who has a problem and problematic 'fans' rather than an Audience, it's almost everyone.

James Ballardie @JamesBallardie #gigbugbears Crying like it's the best gig EVER when in actual fact it's only a quite good gig. I'm talking about you Radiohead fans.
11:44 AM - 10 Apr 2013

https://twitter.com/search?q=#gigbugbears&src=hash

regards.

Last edited:
Here are some pics from the opening sequence... not great quality though. Couldn't keep taking pics as it would have disturbed everyone else. So I just took a few at the beginning of the film.

25: Live Pics

Who is the woman at the front of the audience with the microphone? Did she give the film an introduction or was she just giving a health and safety guide in case there was a desert fire situation and you all needed to escape the building? Was there a 'context' given for the screening as part of the "Sedona International Film Festival"?

How much did the film ticket cost? About an hour of minimum wage in $? Here, cinema tickets are reasonable, but parking and popcorn/soda has become outrageously expensive, making it hard to just kick back with the whole family: it becomes an expensive night out very quickly.

Looking at your Flickr, I'm thinking it's a missed opportunity given the empty rows of seats. It would have been interesting to give the tickets away for a minimum amount and then see if noobs signed up for a mailing list for a future gig in Sedona. Did anyone do that at the end? If I was in charge of marketing, I'd do something like that to extend the audience beyond those already onboard.

regards.

I can't imagine what it must be like to live in one of those 'flyover states' but surely you have a postal service and access to Amazon.com? There's no need for RB to send you a copy, you can order it yourself. Boise sounds fascinating. "Your living in your own Private Idaho!"

Van Morrison and The Doors are really interesting artists. Jim Morrison used to quote proper literature to make his lyrics seem more profound than they really were. Bit like Moz, but Moz just lifted stuff from other artists and claimed it as his own. What a little magpie! LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!

regards.

Funny. I thought I was writing a reply and thank you to RealityBites, not BumBoy? Thank you ever so much for stepping in however. If you hadn't, I surely would have never figured out for myself the wonders of the modern postal system and having the ability to order items of interest via stores like Amazon.com! As usual, you have opened the eyes of everyone to such maddening and confusing quandaries with your extensive knowledge of everything. Thank goodness! Now we can continue on with our pathetic, miserable lives, knowing that you have all the answers at the drop of a hat, whether we ask you the questions or not.
Did you ever consider that perhaps I want RealityBites to send me a copy so I can shower her with accolades, flowers, and appreciation as a form of thanks? Maybe I like her? Maybe I worship the ground she spits on? Or maybe, I was simply posting a response of thanks, and making a point at the same time by expressing my feelings in regards to the city I currently reside in? I can not believe you missed that! A clear blunder and lack of concentration on your part. Shame on you. Try harder, we all expect so much more from you. At least you managed to slip in that ever so witty pun about The B52's song. How very cleaver. No one here has heard that joke in days! Way to step up your game. That's more like it.
And the ending of your (unwanted) post to me! Genius. Sure genius. How you are able to simultaneously reply to a post that wasn't intended for you, educate me on the magic of on-line purchases, save RB from certain inconvenience, make a cracking, astounding, funny about the city I live in, AND summon the power of your endless intellect just when we think your tank is dry, by making reference to not one, but TWO artists and their respective inadequateness as you see it for all of us to marvel at is nothing short of amazing! On behalf of myself, the other members of this forum, and sarcasm itself, we thank you. Your dedication to writing responses to each and every thread, whether it has anything whatsoever to do with you, should serve as inspiration to us all to mind our own f***ing business.

Best wishes and warmest personal regards.

Last edited:
Morrissey 25: Live (PG, 92 mins) Director: James Russell
3 stars
Former Smiths frontman Morrissey's shows at a cosy LA venue are brought to us as a straight-up live concert. On stage it's an energetic affair, beautifully filmed and edited, and Morrissey gives an impassioned performance that sees him deified by the crowd. But the ceaseless ploughing through song after song without pause or context means it's mainly for fans

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/enter...re-the-millers-lovelace-what-134011n.21928498

Cult deification alert!

Especially to all my peeps in Boise.
Shridan, why don't you just 'Ask Amy' to sort out your postal confusions?

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2013/06/22/2626378/stepmonster-from-hell-makes-teens.html

Last edited:
Funny. I thought I was writing a reply and thank you to RealityBites, not BumBoy? Thank you ever so much for stepping in however. If you hadn't, I surely would have never figured out for myself the wonders of the modern postal system and having the ability to order items of interest via stores like Amazon.com! As usual, you have opened the eyes of everyone to such maddening and confusing quandaries with your extensive knowledge of everything. Thank goodness! Now we can continue on with our pathetic, miserable lives, knowing that you have all the answers at the drop of a hat, whether we ask you the questions or not.
Did you ever consider that perhaps I want RealityBites to send me a copy so I can shower her with accolades, flowers, and appreciation as a form of thanks? Maybe I like her? Maybe I worship the ground she spits on? Or maybe, I was simply posting a response of thanks, and making a point at the same time by expressing my feelings in regards to the city I currently reside in? I can not believe you missed that! A clear blunder and lack of concentration on your part. Shame on you. Try harder, we all expect so much more from you. At least you managed to slip in that ever so witty pun about The B52's song. How very cleaver. No one here has heard that joke in days! Way to step up your game. That's more like it.
And the ending of your (unwanted) post to me! Genius. Sure genius. How you are able to simultaneously reply to a post that wasn't intended for you, educate me on the magic of on-line purchases, save RB from certain inconvenience, make a cracking, astounding, funny about the city I live in, AND summon the power of your endless intellect just when we think your tank is dry, by making reference to not one, but TWO artists and their respective inadequateness as you see it for all of us to marvel at is nothing short of amazing! On behalf of myself, the other members of this forum, and sarcasm itself, we thank you. Your dedication to writing responses to each and every thread, whether it has anything whatsoever to do with you, should serve as inspiration to us all to mind our own f***ing business.

Hey! I am a BumBoy: d'you want it up the arse? Mind your own business? Glad to see you speak on behalf of 'the other members of this forum'. Except you don't, so piss off. And anyway, who are you to judge me? "Surely how I feel is not nothing?".......now, let's get back on topic:

Enduring Rocker Morrissey Gives His Fans Something Special Review

by Lee Jutton

"He does not look like a stereotypical rock god. And yet his fans still flock to his shows like worshipful zealots making a pilgrimage to a holy site, as though hearing his voice, getting a glimpse of him close-up or, in the most ideal of situations, actually touching the man, will change their lives forever. The passion that the 1,800 people at this show (as well as thousands of other fans around the world) feel for Morrissey can only be compared to that of preteen girls for flavor-of-the-month boy bands like One Direction, and yet, the comparison still falls woefully short (though, in their matching T-shirts, his backing band do have a boy band vibe about them)."

http://www.justpressplay.net/reviews/11012-morrissey-25-live.html

Boz? Boy-band? Ahem.....!

Best wishes and loving kindness

Last edited:
Hey! I am a BumBoy: d'you want it up the arse? Mind your own business? Glad to see you speak on behalf of 'the other members of this forum'. Except you don't, so piss off. And anyway, who are you to judge me? "Surely how I feel is not nothing?".......now, let's get back on topic:

by Lee Jutton

"He does not look like a stereotypical rock god. And yet his fans still flock to his shows like worshipful zealots making a pilgrimage to a holy site, as though hearing his voice, getting a glimpse of him close-up or, in the most ideal of situations, actually touching the man, will change their lives forever. The passion that the 1,800 people at this show (as well as thousands of other fans around the world) feel for Morrissey can only be compared to that of preteen girls for flavor-of-the-month boy bands like One Direction, and yet, the comparison still falls woefully short (though, in their matching T-shirts, his backing band do have a boy band vibe about them)."

Hey look everyone, someone rattled BummieBoy! "I don't care who you are". "I don't care what you say". Your usual response to everyone isn't it? I mean aside from the attempts at insults. Sounds like you got a bit wound up this time doesn't it?
I am pretty sure that I do speak on behalf of the majority of people on here when it comes to you.
And as far as getting back on topic, remember genius, you replied to a post that was meant for someone else. What I wrote had absolutely nothing to do with you. Why not practice what you preach? Either write a review of the film, write another review of the film, or do the vast majority of people on this site a favor. Piss of yourself.

And as far as taking it up the asre, even if I was gay I wouldn't want it from you. I prefer the entrée, not the appetizer.

Have a lovely day, and may the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits.

by Lee Jutton

That reviewer admits to never having been to any actual Morrissey concert. You cannot judge his general abilities as a performer by such a DVD, just as you cannot do so by seeing him in London, New York or Los Angeles, because he gives different concerts for celebrities fans and friends, media people and record company people compared to places which are not that glamorous for him. In fact elsewhere his concerts can best be described as half arsed. And this does not go back to the audience. I stood there amongst people who were very enthuiastic about him coming on stage, but as soon as he was there and it was all about a few people in the front row and his support, the whole thing fell flat. I had a look at that Hollywood High performance on youtube as it had just happened and it was laughably obvious that he was pleased to be shot by cameras and the prospect of this being properly recorded for everybody to see. Even if it had been shot at his usual half arsed locations he'd have been slightly more enthuiastic than usual just for the cameras. His selective efforts interestingly still manage to fool some... "journalists".

That reviewer admits to never having been to any actual Morrissey concert. You cannot judge his general abilities as a performer by such a DVD, just as you cannot do so by seeing him in London, New York or Los Angeles, because he gives different concerts for celebrities fans and friends, media people and record company people compared to places which are not that glamorous for him. In fact elsewhere his concerts can best be described as half arsed. And this does not go back to the audience. I stood there amongst people who were very enthuiastic about him coming on stage, but as soon as he was there and it was all about a few people in the front row and his support, the whole thing fell flat. I had a look at that Hollywood High performance on youtube as it had just happened and it was laughably obvious that he was pleased to be shot by cameras and the prospect of this being properly recorded for everybody to see. Even if it had been shot at his usual half arsed locations he'd have been slightly more enthuiastic than usual just for the cameras. His selective efforts interestingly still manage to fool some... "journalists".

What about those people who have seen shows both in large metropolitan cities and in places that could be described as the middle of nowhere, and have enjoyed the latter just as much, if not more, than the big city shows? Are they lying or just wrong?

If it's your assertion that the only time any effort is made is when he's performing in front of his celebrity pals and that this effect is amplified even more by the presence of cameras, then surely this film contains the man at his best? If the man at his best isn't good enough for you then maybe just don't bother watching.

And can somebody please explain to me how exactly he favours the front row? Is it the handshakes and the eye contact? Should he wade into the crowd and shake everybody's hand one by one? Does the sound not travel past the first couple of rows? The experience of being on the barrier makes for a more intimate feel to the show, if for no other reason than actual physical proximity. If you want to be at the barrier, arrive early and queue all day. Then maybe you'll get the show you want. Or don't bother.

Oh! You can get throw out and/or arrested for recording film footage here in the UK. People are assumed to be trying to pirate the film to put online. We have these dire warnings before the film starts exhorting us to report any such behaviour to the authorities. It's a bit OTT,

I'm surprised to read you're one of those compulsive clickers. I do find this compulsive behaviour confusing and irritating at concerts. Do you not find that it stops the immersive quality of a show (film/gig)? At a gig, I like to be at the gig, not telling everyone on social media "oh, look at me! I'm at the Morrissey gig, doesn't that convey taste and cultural authenticity? I bet you are jeaous of my Timeline! oh, and here's a pic of my pre-gig munchies at an expensive restaurant". It's ridiculous.

Once again, your account of your visit to the cinema was refreshing and entirely free of neurosis, so I'm surprised you're part of that camera cult!

I asked the manager of the theater if it was okay to take pics. I swear, she enthusiastically said, "Yes, of course." This is a small private theater owned by the Sedona Film Festival. It has sponsors... its members. It is open to the public, however. I am not a compulsive snapper. Though I have been taking a lot more pictures when out and about lately. Especially since starting that CELL Phone Uploads DAILY thread.

When I took the pics, there was no flash or noise. And there were no people seated near me to annoy. Seriously. My son did give me the look, though, and I stopped. Was gonna anyhow. :lbf:

Who is the woman at the front of the audience with the microphone? Did she give the film an introduction or was she just giving a health and safety guide in case there was a desert fire situation and you all needed to escape the building? Was there a 'context' given for the screening as part of the "Sedona International Film Festival"?

The woman at the front speaking was this same manager. She was introducing the film. Then she also mentioned upcoming films being hosted by the Film Festival. The theater actually filled up more and there were people seated in the rows behind me. It had a bigger turnout than some of the larger cities in the US and UK that have hosted it. So I was actually pleasantly surprised. The tickets cost $15.00 for non members and $12.50 for members. This is almost double what it costs to see a film across the street at Harkins--a chain. There was a problem with the sound at the beginning of the film and they had to stop it for a few minutes. So we were all given vouchers to return to see any film of our choice... up until December 31st... a little extra bonus making the night all that much sweeter.

Last edited:
Saw it; loved it...especially the end. They showed it in the biggest theater of the bunch, and for that reason, the sound was spectacular! I'm glad they didn't overdo the imagery on Meat Is Murder. Can't wait to get it on Blu-Ray or DVD.

Me too.

I absolutely disagree.

I don't think it would have necessarily helped the film but i do think it would have been a more honest representation of the show. It's strange too because that song is pretty much the only time in the film where it deviates from its traditional style. When the background video starts, the words "meet your meat" float onscreen in front of the performance. It looks like it's setting up to bring the backdrop to the forefront for that song. Instead we get lots of fast cuts and it looks like the footage is purposefully blurred so as not to show the animal images.

I say that i don't think it would have helped the film but at the same time i don't think it would hurt it. If it had been better represented in the film then maybe some of the reviews would have picked up on that. Surely moz could only see that as a positive? Even if it was reported in a "Morrissey ruins perfectly fine concert film with his veggie shite" way, it would still bring attention to the cause he seems most passionate about.

I absolutely disagree.

I don't think it would have necessarily helped the film but i do think it would have been a more honest representation of the show. It's strange too because that song is pretty much the only time in the film where it deviates from its traditional style. When the background video starts, the words "meet your meat" float onscreen in front of the performance. It looks like it's setting up to bring the backdrop to the forefront for that song. Instead we get lots of fast cuts and it looks like the footage is purposefully blurred so as not to show the animal images.

I say that i don't think it would have helped the film but at the same time i don't think it would hurt it. If it had been better represented in the film then maybe some of the reviews would have picked up on that. Surely moz could only see that as a positive? Even if it was reported in a "Morrissey ruins perfectly fine concert film with his veggie shite" way, it would still bring attention to the cause he seems most passionate about.

I wonder if the images were blurred on purpose... for legal reasons? Or so that the DVD won't have to have a disclaimer for having graphic images? Or a rating of sorts? I don't know how that stuff works. Or, maybe Moz had some forethought... that many would simply skip that song while watching the DVD... and he wanted it to be viewed and enjoyed repeatedly? Maybe he had his non-veg fans in mind as well as his veggie ones?

I was wondering along the same lines.

I too have no idea if there would be any kind of need for a rating if the footage were included. The whole peta meet your meat video is inluded on the who put the m... dvd though, and i don't recall any kind of ratings trouble for that dvd.

Also, if he's willing to do the meat video night after night on tour, i don't really see any reason for him to worry about alienating carnivorous fans on a dvd release.

I am interested in how involved he was on the final product. It's hard to imagine him ceding complete control over the film to the director.

Could it be he didn't have permission to display the images because of copy write issues?

I was wondering along the same lines.

I too have no idea if there would be any kind of need for a rating if the footage were included. The whole peta meet your meat video is inluded on the who put the m... dvd though, and i don't recall any kind of ratings trouble for that dvd.

Also, if he's willing to do the meat video night after night on tour, i don't really see any reason for him to worry about alienating carnivorous fans on a dvd release.

I am interested in how involved he was on the final product. It's hard to imagine him ceding complete control over the film to the director.

True... no rating or warning label. Hmm. But it was a separate, stand alone video not video footage used as a backdrop to performance art. Speculation, speculation. Could be that Moz had no say. Doubtful though. The director stated, in the interview that was posted on another thread, that Moz had a very clear idea of how it was to be filmed. I got the impression it was his baby, not the director's.

To go back to this thread's original question:
Saw Morrissey 25 at our local indie movie theater (in Cleveland). About 40 people in the theater. It was not well-publicized here at all, and only played one night. Saw a number of Moz T-shirts and one perfectly precious 20-something behind me who was totally rocking the young Morrissey look. The majority of the audience appeared to be in their 30s/40s. I went with my seven-year-old daughter, who has wanted to go to a Morrissey concert with me each time I've gone since she's been around. I figured this was the closest we're going to get. She really liked it. I did too, although at times it seemed to lack energy for me. Not sure if that's the fault of the director/editor, or the fact that a Morrissey live show has a very unique atmosphere. I took my cousin to the Columbus show in January. She had always been a lukewarm fan, but afterwards said, "That was like a religious experience." And it is. I guess, at least for this concert film, it was like watching church services on television. You're seeing and hearing everything, but the sense of community is missing. Still, as someone who can't afford to go traveling to multiple shows each year, spending an evening watching Morrissey in concert on film was better than not seeing him at all.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom