Did you see Morrissey 25 at the cinema?

I have a subscription to an online station that I stream thru my speakers called Slacker Radio. It’s free unless you want to design your own stations for $9 per month and it’s the same concept as Pandora but I think its better. Create your own stations, select if you want the artists more popular, classic or obscure stuff. The selection of music is vast and sometimes I’ll hear something for the first time or that I haven’t heard in years. I have a Morrissey station of course and an all-girl station called “Girls Only” that plays obscure stuff from my favorite female artists. I left terrestrial radio years ago.

The film was wonderful. Even better than I expected. There were about 27 people there. Beautiful theater. Pretty much everyone was about my age. A few older folks and my son was the youngest there. No children in attendance. The light effects were really well done. Moz's voice was perfect. Looked vibrant and healthy--despite claims to the contrary.

Band sounded and looked very fit. As did Moz. Loved his first two shirts. Wow! The man knows how to sport a fitted shirt. Looking fine. Caught that famous wonderful smirk on his face--that I adore so much--a few times.

Fan comments didn't bother me as much as I expected them too--from hearing previous reports. Julia's "god bless," I could have done without. Gag. But the tattooed folks and bearers of gifts seemed affable enough. Was not embarrassed for them at all, believe it or not.

Setlist was wonderful. Loved every song and thought they were all executed well. Everyday did not seem too slow... like it did when watching it out of the context of the entire film. It was a reflective moment. The audience members were handing him gifts. I dunno, it worked for me. Loved That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore. The vocals were amazing--absolute perfection. Maladjusted had me paying attention. Loved it. Action is My Middle Name is a brilliant song--worthy of a single status. One of my faves last night, actually. As was I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris. I can't keep from chuckling when I hear those lyrics.

Please, Please, Please had me crying. I'm not kidding. I felt as if I was singing the song myself. Moz sung it beautifully with such emotion. How could one not be moved to tears? I love the song more now that I am older. It is a timeless song. The Boy With a Thorn was wonderful. I can't get enough of that yodeling. Priceless.

Bottom line, the man can sing and bring tears to my eyes with his voice and lyrics. He's fit, charismatic, engaging, playful, demonstrative, and loving. Yes. He feels the love but he gives it right back. It is a two way street.

Can't wait to see it again on DVD.

Lovely. Thanks. Sincerity is a little lacking on this site, sometimes. So: very refreshing. Ta. :)

I saw it in Manchester at Cornerhouse and I must admit I enjoyed it far more than I thought I would. Moz was captured in fine form and voice. The atmosphere was great and the audience loved it. It was a timely and salutary reminder of the man's talent, I felt. Write him off at your own cost...

Liar, Liar. Not only is badger boy the biggest bore in the history of the universe but a compulsive liar as well. How many posts have you bored us with since this manifesto of mediocrity? Oh no here comes another post. And a thousand badgers scream 'Shoot Me!' to avoid reading it.

I hope that outburst made sense to you because it reads like nonsense. "Manifesto of Mediocrity"? That would make an excellent album title for Morrissey's next installment of "genius". Side 1, Track 1: "Kid's A Looker". Now, keep on topic and stop posting your incomprehensible drivel.

Did they have an intermission during the film where they sold ice-cream and Kia-Ora? What were the trailers? For the One Direction movie? I need to know!

regards.

Sadly Jubilo boy stood at the edge of the cliff as the Gestapo ordered him to join the Cult of Morrissey. LOL! Tragically (for his mother) he jumped. LOL! Unfortunately (for the planet) he survived to write another post.LOL! The world won't whistle, Louder than thongs etc etc LOL!

with every toxically remissful solipsistic soggy biscuit, yours, in Coolio! DOUBLE LOL!

Are you some sort of rapper on acid? This is very silly, but moderately amusing. Please: no encore required.

"with every toxically remissful solipsistic soggy biscuit"

How did you get hold of those lyrics from Morrissey's notebook?

regards.

I saw the movie last night at Chelsea cinemas in NYC. There was a good crowd, 75 or so and all seemed to be fans. The film got a good reception and plenty of clapping.

I absolutely loved it! I planned to love it going in, but it exceeded my expectations.

I can honestly say it was like being at a show! The music was loud and the sound was good.

The behind the scene bits in the beginning were particularly special. Its cool to watch Moz walk towards the stage, they show both HH and Staples Center footage.

Mostly its a beautifully realistic Morrissey concert experience. It all worked, even the fans comments seemed fine to me when in context.

If you are on the fence and still have the opportunity, go see this in the theater!

Great review RB. I am so jealous of all of you who were able to see it in theater form. Here in 'Boredomville', (Boise, ID.) there was absolutely no mention of the film whatsoever, so of course neither of the theaters here, (yes, I kid you not, there is literally two) showed it. The radio stations here are total crap. I have lived here for 15 years now, and have NEVER heard a Smiths or Morrissey song on the radio. Ever. I swear, I m at the point where I am considering pulling a Denver. Taking the only 'alternative' radio station here hostage and forcing them to play Morrissey and nothing but. But id have to bring my own cd's.
Glad you enjoyed the show RB, might have to ask you to buy me a copy of the DVD since the idiots here who run the record shops would say, 'what new MORRISON video? He died like 42 years ago man'! im not kidding, ive asked for Morrissey and have been sent to either the Van Morrison section, or was told, 'I don't think Jim recorded a solo album, but the Doors section is over here'.

I can't imagine what it must be like to live in one of those 'flyover states' but surely you have a postal service and access to Amazon.com? There's no need for RB to send you a copy, you can order it yourself. Boise sounds fascinating. "Your living in your own Private Idaho!"

Van Morrison and The Doors are really interesting artists. Jim Morrison used to quote proper literature to make his lyrics seem more profound than they really were. Bit like Moz, but Moz just lifted stuff from other artists and claimed it as his own. What a little magpie! LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!

regards.

The film was wonderful. Even better than I expected. There were about 27 people there. Beautiful theater. Pretty much everyone was about my age. A few older folks and my son was the youngest there. No children in attendance. The light effects were really well done. Moz's voice was perfect. Looked vibrant and healthy--despite claims to the contrary.

Band sounded and looked very fit. As did Moz. Loved his first two shirts. Wow! The man knows how to sport a fitted shirt. Looking fine. Caught that famous wonderful smirk on his face--that I adore so much--a few times.

Fan comments didn't bother me as much as I expected them too--from hearing previous reports. Julia's "god bless," I could have done without. Gag. But the tattooed folks and bearers of gifts seemed affable enough. Was not embarrassed for them at all, believe it or not.

Setlist was wonderful. Loved every song and thought they were all executed well. Everyday did not seem too slow... like it did when watching it out of the context of the entire film. It was a reflective moment. The audience members were handing him gifts. I dunno, it worked for me. Loved That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore. The vocals were amazing--absolute perfection. Maladjusted had me paying attention. Loved it. Action is My Middle Name is a brilliant song--worthy of a single status. One of my faves last night, actually. As was I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris. I can't keep from chuckling when I hear those lyrics.

Please, Please, Please had me crying. I'm not kidding. I felt as if I was singing the song myself. Moz sung it beautifully with such emotion. How could one not be moved to tears? I love the song more now that I am older. It is a timeless song. The Boy With a Thorn was wonderful. I can't get enough of that yodeling. Priceless.

Bottom line, the man can sing and bring tears to my eyes with his voice and lyrics. He's fit, charismatic, engaging, playful, demonstrative, and loving. Yes. He feels the love but he gives it right back. It is a two way street.

Can't wait to see it again on DVD.

You convey a sense of authentic enjoyment without resorting to hyperbole or cliche. It's good to see that some people can sink into the warmth of emotion that the songs convey without becoming unhinged. Excellent writing.

regards.

I can't imagine what it must be like to live in one of those 'flyover states' but surely you have a postal service and access to Amazon.com? There's no need for RB to send you a copy, you can order it yourself. Boise sounds fascinating. "Your living in your own Private Idaho!"

Van Morrison and The Doors are really interesting artists. Jim Morrison used to quote proper literature to make his lyrics seem more profound than they really were. Bit like Moz, but Moz just lifted stuff from other artists and claimed it as his own. What a little magpie! LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!

regards.

I like loads of different music from all different eras imaginable
But what I can't understand is all this showing off when it comes to quoting different artists. I have probably seen many bands and artists a lot have only read about, having started my musical interests in the 60's when very young, and having parents who never had the radio to 'off', so probably a similar age to Morrissey
But what I cannot understand is why someone would come to a fan site only in order to decry the relevant artist?
And what's all that LOLLOLLOLLOL rubbish about?
Unless you're yet another alter ego of someone.... sinister........

You convey a sense of authentic enjoyment without resorting to hyperbole or cliche. It's good to see that some people can sink into the warmth of emotion that the songs convey without becoming unhinged. Excellent writing.

regards.

Yea right

The behind the scene bits in the beginning were particularly special. Its cool to watch Moz walk towards the stage, they show both HH and Staples Center footage.

I missed all that. :tears: I got to my seat when Lypsinka was on.

I like loads of different music from all different eras imaginable
But what I can't understand is all this showing off when it comes to quoting different artists. I have probably seen many bands and artists a lot have only read about, having started my musical interests in the 60's when very young, and having parents who never had the radio to 'off', so probably a similar age to Morrissey
But what I cannot understand is why someone would come to a fan site only in order to decry the relevant artist?
And what's all that LOLLOLLOLLOL rubbish about?
Unless you're yet another alter ego of someone.... sinister........

I don't care what you think. I don't understand why Morrissey talks about other performers "only in order to decry the relevant artist"

I am an alter ego of someone sinister? Wot, Satan?

LOLOLOLOLOL! [lots of laugh out loud, laugh out loud, laugh out loud]

regards
ROFLMAO!

- - - Updated - - -

Yea right

The comment wasn't directed to you, so your interlocution is both irrelevant and irritating.

Please keep your contributions on topic and do not interrupt the grown-ups inappropriately.

regards.

Oh yeah, totally forgot about the pre show stuff. The look moz gives to the camera when he walks in the venue is great.

Here are some pics from the opening sequence... not great quality though. Couldn't keep taking pics as it would have disturbed everyone else. So I just took a few at the beginning of the film.

25: Live Pics

I just got tickets. It's not playing at my local theater until October 5.

No one spoil the end for me.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom