Deleted/Jake portions of "Autobiography" reinstated for US paperback edition

Re: Deleted/Jake portions of Autobiography reinstated for US paperback edition

Was it really just three sentences that were removed? I didn't read the US edition, but I was under the impression that Jake had been removed from it completely—including the outing with Chrissie Hynde, etc.

Whether a straight or 'whatever sexuality you are' man rests his head on another man's stomach is neither here nor there and does not classify the sexual orientation of either person. When I go to a Moz concert I stare at Moz for the entire concert and barely look at the other players. Does that mean I am not straight? Does the fact I would prefer to google photos of Moz instead of Beyonce mean that I am not straight? Does having a glass of wine at dinner instead of beer mean I am not straight? That manager sounds like a total fool and an ignoramus. People shackle themselves with rules. People like that should be anonymous victims in a SAW movie.

Great post, Acton, thank you. I think we make far too much out of what category a person fits into sexually. Of course it matters when it comes to civil rights, and I don't want to diminish that, but really…there's not a lot of point in trying to define sexuality, especially based on physical affection, which can and should transcend sexuality. There was a lot of upset when Morrissey used the world "humasexual" to describe himself, but it's not confusing to me at all. You like what you like, and that's not always the same thing…and it's not even always tied to gender. Nearly every man I've befriended who self-identifies as straight also likes to look at Morrissey (Who doesn't like to look at Morrissey?!), and many of them have affectionate or sexual feelings for him as well. It's really not strange at all, and I think it's due in large part to Morrissey's longstanding ambiguity and unwillingness to categorize himself sexually. I don't think that's avoidance or denial, it's just the way things are for many, many people.

I thought the lines in 'autobiography' about Jake were well written and enriched the book. I'm glad to see them included in paperback edition of the book, but ultimately what difference does it make?

For me, the difference it makes is in the beauty of the words he used to describe their relationship. It was very moving to read about the closeness he felt to Jake, and what it meant for him to open his life to another person in that way for the first time ("for the first time in my life the eternal ‘I’ becomes ‘we’ as, finally, I can get on with someone"). Let's face it, a lot of us have invested ourselves emotionally in Morrissey's life over the years, and I think most of us want the best for him (and for ourselves, by extension). Having that tiny sliver of awareness of his life in those days is comforting in the most personal way.

When I go to a Moz concert I stare at Moz for the entire concert and barely look at the other players. Does that mean I am not straight? Does the fact I would prefer to google photos of Moz instead of Beyonce mean that I am not straight?

Yes, it means you are a raging homo, Acton. There is nothing to be embarrassed about. Live the dream!

It was nothing to do with Jake. Jake was revelling in the attention online. Meanwhile look at Morrissey's reaction. The press immediately picked on his homosexual relationship with Jake, and he suddenly went apeshit, issuing his ridiculous "I'm not a gay, I'm a humasexual' statement on True To You. I think the edits to the US version were to try and stop the same thing happening in the US. Once the admission was out there, he suddenly felt he'd gone too far in revealing himself, and ran back to his closet in fear.

Jake didn't seem to mind. He made several posts on IG and twitter making light of the relationship.

Morrissey, on the other hand, is still deep in the closet and makes his boyfriend walk yards behind him whenever they are out in public. Damon is a damn saint.

I always wondered how Jake went from being a nobody boxer/hanger on to being an in demand fashion photographer... When I saw him at the Morrissey signings in the 90s, he seemed then like an uneducated wannabe thug with a chip on his shoulder whose proximity to Morrissey had given him an attitude.

It was nothing to do with Jake. Jake was revelling in the attention online. Meanwhile look at Morrissey's reaction. The press immediately picked on his homosexual relationship with Jake, and he suddenly went apeshit, issuing his ridiculous "I'm not a gay, I'm a humasexual' statement on True To You. I think the edits to the US version were to try and stop the same thing happening in the US. Once the admission was out there, he suddenly felt he'd gone too far in revealing himself, and ran back to his closet in fear.

This theory only really works of he'd also asked for the parts about Gelato to be deleted. And also the parts where he goes on and on about how much he hates the vagina yet loves the way men who dress in a transsexual look. Even without those parts about Jake in it it is still fairly clear as to which way Morrissey's dial is pointed, sexually at least.

Moz can have whatever type of buddy he likes. What I want to know is this:

If the audio CDs were purportedly "unabridged," then why was there nothing more than what the US version of the book had?

I always wondered how Jake went from being a nobody boxer/hanger on to being an in demand fashion photographer... When I saw him at the Morrissey signings in the 90s, he seemed then like an uneducated wannabe thug with a chip on his shoulder whose proximity to Morrissey had given him an attitude.

This theory only really works of he'd also asked for the parts about Gelato to be deleted. And also the parts where he goes on and on about how much he hates the vagina yet loves the way men who dress in a transsexual look.

And if he, you know, changed the lyrical content of a large percentage of his songs going back three decades. But whatever, he's obviously full of shame! :rolleyes:

Whether a straight or 'whatever sexuality you are' man rests his head on another man's stomach is neither here nor there and does not classify the sexual orientation of either person. When I go to a Moz concert I stare at Moz for the entire concert and barely look at the other players. Does that mean I am not straight? Does the fact I would prefer to google photos of Moz instead of Beyonce mean that I am not straight? Does having a glass of wine at dinner instead of beer mean I am not straight? That manager sounds like a total fool and an ignoramus. People shackle themselves with rules. People like that should be anonymous victims in a SAW movie.
I thought the lines in 'autobiography' about Jake were well written and enriched the book. I'm glad to see them included in paperback edition of the book, but ultimately what difference does it make?

His manager's job was to do the best by his client though, Acton. It's difficult to see how photos of that nature would have helped Morrissey's career at that point. This is, after all, an artist who has guarded his fake sexuality as fiercely he guards his... pretend cancer.

His manager's job was to do the best by his client though, Acton. It's difficult to see how photos of that nature would have helped Morrissey's career at that point. This is, after all, an artist who has guarded his fake sexuality as fiercely he guards his... pretend cancer.

The manager could have been nicer about it. I just felt so sad when I read that part.

Gelato obviously didn't want to be known. His name is out there and so are photos (including one of him with Morrissey).

I don't know how Jake became successful, but Moz helped him. How did Moz meet him, anyway? I always figured he met Damon in a barbershop or something.

Well we don't know what the truth of the matter is but when Morrissey was asked he said those parts were removed because Jake was being hounded by the press. If that was the case what I found strange was the fact that Jake seemed to revel in his relationship with Moz by posting about Moz songs he is listening to and photo shoots with Moz so he obviously isn't that ashamed, if at all. Perhaps he is worrying about how it's affecting his current partner who he has a child with. I don't know. But Moz says it was because Jake was being hounded so he says it does have everything to do with Jake.

Jake said in an interview that he applied to be Mozzer's driver and then they became friends.

The book I read didn't say anything about a love affair with Gelato. It said something about Gelato acting as a real estate broker or something.

I didn't get to read about a Jake outing with Hynde. I read about Moz hanging out with Hynde and she suddenly tried to eat someone's dog even though purporting to be vegan. Now I'm curious, what did she do with Jakey-poo (the one who was eating dog food when meeting Moz)?

I read the US version and then listened to the audio CDs which were purportedly "unabridged," yet I didn't hear any different material than I read. Weird.

The manager could have been nicer about it. I just felt so sad when I read that part.

Gelato obviously didn't want to be known. His name is out there and so are photos (including one of him with Morrissey).

I don't know how Jake became successful, but Moz helped him. How did Moz meet him, anyway? I always figured he met Damon in a barbershop or something.

Well we don't know what the truth of the matter is but when Morrissey was asked he said those parts were removed because Jake was being hounded by the press. If that was the case what I found strange was the fact that Jake seemed to revel in his relationship with Moz by posting about Moz songs he is listening to and photo shoots with Moz so he obviously isn't that ashamed, if at all. Perhaps he is worrying about how it's affecting his current partner who he has a child with. I don't know. But Moz says it was because Jake was being hounded so he says it does have everything to do with Jake.

Jake's girlfriend isn't shy about his past relationship with Morrissey. She makes it known frequently. She's incredibly immature.

Yes, it means you are a raging homo, Acton. There is nothing to be embarrassed about. Live the dream!

Of course the reality is I am busy, just like everyone else. If I go to see Moz in concert I go to see HIM. The rest of the band are background scenery at best. Same for trawling the internet: I like to see photos of the latest Moz concert on Moz Solo and wouldn't be bothered oogling at manufactured bands/ singers who appeal to the masses but are talentless. I do have some level of self respect. Similarly I fast forward through adverts on TV because I don't have the time or interest to decompose while staring dead-eyed at inane marketing ploys. I'm not sure how that makes me a raging anything. But your anonymous post did give me a laugh.

Nothing wrong with sloppy seconds.

so what are the words that are put back in? Would be nice to compare them. Thank you in advance

How dare you. How. Dare. You.

I don't understand the comment about sloppy seconds. I'm sick of anonymous posters. 9 times out of 10 they have nothing to say anyway.

I don't understand the comment about sloppy seconds. I'm sick of anonymous posters. 9 times out of 10 they have nothing to say anyway.

I'll never understand the sloppy seconds thing. So we're all supposed to stay with our first significant other forever?

Back
Top Bottom