Morrissey Central "CALIFORNIA SON" (January 16, 2024)

Morrissey and Joni Mitchell

full

Last edited by a moderator:
I always thought the published photo was a very nice one of Joni but one of the less flattering shots of M at the time. His quiff was in an awkward phase between Southpaw and the Maladjusted mini-quiff - and some gray was coming in at the temples, just shy of his thirty-eighth birthday.

Wasn't this around the same time as his filmed conversations about girl groups with Len Brown?

I tried also, but they won’t embed here. There’s two parts there also.

Or if one prefers to read it ….

+ a couple more photos! here …

That's got to be one of the most fascinating Morrissey interviews I've ever read! Thanks for that!

I wish someone would interview Morrissey like this. His questions were intelligent and thoughtful.

joni with fag in hand,her feet are in a very relaxed position,take M out of that photo and it could be from the 40s/50s 0r the 60s.

Poor old Ste Mo

All he wanted in life was to be famous :popcorn:
He really is a sad and desperate figure of a man these days.
I really can’t foresee 2024 being any kinder to him either.
It doesn’t look good when band members walk off the tour only to form a supergroup and get back on the road without him :laughing:
You only have to listen to the racket that the present Lawnmower parts make to realise that in 2024 he’s probably better off to strip the engine altogether and perform to backing tracks.
Truth is nobody really cares about him and his antics anymore, record companies have done their absolute best to accommodate him only to be given the “I’m it you’re shit” treatment.

On the other hand though I reckon that there Johnny Marr has got a fantastic year ahead of him. And well deserved to may a say.

Best wishes for 2024 to all (apart from that bitter and twisted Ste Mo obviously)

Benny 🇬🇧🔪

There's Morrissey being Morrissey, arduously doing nothing again, and jolie Joni beside him doing the same, giving us more occasions for giddy frivolity, of which the world is woefully short :love:

Just because Moz likes her (or appeared to in ‘97 but never mentioned her before or after) we are all supposed to enjoy her music?! I find her unlistenable! I dislike the whole Laurel Canyon crowd, her, Eagles, James Taylor etc, truly awful.
I love Moz but his tastes are terrible at times and in a free country we don’t all have to fall in step with them.
I don’t like Joni Mitchell, so sue me!!!

You must! You must! You must like everyone he does! Or else! :whip::swear👮‍♂️👮‍♀️🚁

:rolleyes:
Btw he covers her song on California Son, much after that interview.

Keep up.

She was an influence on the Smiths as well. Johnny said the tuning and chord progression of Headmaster Ritual was very much like a Joni Mitchell song.

Just because Moz likes her (or appeared to in ‘97 but never mentioned her before or after) we are all supposed to enjoy her music?! I find her unlistenable! I dislike the whole Laurel Canyon crowd, her, Eagles, James Taylor etc, truly awful.
I love Moz but his tastes are terrible at times and in a free country we don’t all have to fall in step with them.
Same here. I cannot stand that genre of music. They paved paradise to put up a parking lot? Come off it. Also she's a Covidian extremist who removed her music from Spotify because "It gave voice to those who spread covid vaccine misinformation". Isn't that the ultimate and disgusting irony that the ones who promulgated the myth that the "vaccine" immunised you against the virus were the ones accusing others of "misinformation"? Apparently Morrissey can overlook quite a bit.

It always outrages me when people claim Moz has aged badly or put on excessive weight. In my eyes he’s aesthetically very similar to mid 90s Moz, as this photo proves. The only major change is his hair colour and texture. Our media is so used to celebratites being botoxed to death they forget what ageing gracefully looks like.

Same here. I cannot stand that genre of music. They paved paradise to put up a parking lot? Come off it. Also she's a Covidian extremist who removed her music from Spotify because "It gave voice to those who spread covid vaccine misinformation". Isn't that the ultimate and disgusting irony that the ones who promulgated the myth that the "vaccine" immunised you against the virus were the ones accusing others of "misinformation"? Apparently Morrissey can overlook quite a bit.

Maybe you have. But I find it difficult to believe that anyone has really listened to her music, if they are comparing it to James Taylor, Eagles, etc.

I don’t hear Joni in that same category or genre of music, but if you have that bias, and it is your right to, naturally you’re not going to be open to really listening. Then again, that’s fine.

Btw, I don’t like everything she’s done …

but her albums… Blue, The Hissing of Summer Lawns, and Don Juan’s Reckless Daughter are pretty amazing.

Last edited:
She was an influence on the Smiths as well. Johnny said the tuning and chord progression of Headmaster Ritual was very much like a Joni Mitchell song.

Yes, very cool.

It might be a reach, but I was listening to her song ‘Amelia’ and the chorus is the repeated line… ‘Amelia, it was just a false alarm
which of made me think of Morrissey’s line ‘No hope, no harm. Just another false alarm’ from ‘Last Night I Dreamt..’

Joni is at number 42 on his 'Meetings most prized' list on Central 5th January 2024.

Who ever said we have to like her? 😂
We don't have to do anything, we all can like whatever we want. Morrissey can like whatever he wants, too.

Also, I remember reading that he gave "The Hissing of Summer Lawns" to Stephen Street as an inspiration for "Late Night, Maudlin St".

Personally, I like that album, and "Hejira" too.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom