Would You Actually Want To Meet Morrissey?

I personally know a couple of "famous" people and have met several more, so I think I'd be confident enough to hold my own in a conversation with Morrissey.

So my answer is an emphatic "yes."

The biggest thing to remember is that famous people are still people. :)

One of my stories was in the 2nd link. Here it is again:
http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showpost.php?p=547454&postcount=16

As for being too scared or losing it and being ridiculous, I used to have the same fear. But I told my friends, if I ever run into him and if I lose it, please pinch me hard or whatever it takes to bring me back to my senses and remind me to thank Morrissey and ask him for a hug. Having a plan decreases anxiety, and it's really never come to that (needing someone to slap me and remind me what to say).

I've talked to people who even fainted meeting Morrissey! One girl said when she came to, Morrissey was very concerned for her and helped her up. She was embarrassed, but I think it was a wonderful thing for her because Moz didn't think anything bad about her, was probably touched by how profoundly he affects people, and was able to demonstrate his legendary kindness. Anyhow, I'm not the fainting type. And for those who are, it's okay. You'll not only survive, Moz will take care of you!

So it turns out, that when I have met Morrissey, I've had so much practice meeting him at planned events like signings and concerts, that it goes quite smoothly. The first random encounter (which is that story linked up above), even though the first thing I said to him was rather stupid ("I can't believe it's you!"), Morrissey was very kind and asked me all sorts of questions, so I didn't really have to think about what to say, just answered his questions.

As for handy hints for meeting Morrissey, I don't want to encourage stalking because while Morrissey does enjoy the attention and meeting those who love him, I think he wants to do it on his own terms. I've been tipped off several times where to find Morrissey, but I'm not going to act on them if I think it's inappropriate. Having met Morrissey several times in appropriate ways, I'm really glad I didn't embarrass myself and irk him by engaging in stalking behavior.

I guess you could go hang around the beat-the-street buses outside of the concert venue. Once in a while, if there's not too many people (try it in small towns) and if the mood strikes him, he will meet the fans waiting for him.

A few examples of acceptable and unacceptable places please? :o

I would honored to. :cool:

But as others said, I know I would say really really stupid stuff out of nervousness and think of a million funny things to say right after he leaves. :p It would be like one of those film scenes where someone talks to their massive 'crush' and says all of the most wrong things possible, ahaha.

Last edited:
I would like to, but I am sure I would be a mumbling, red faced fool the whole time. I don't think I would try to engage him in conversation, just say hello and what he means to me and that be all.

Yes. And I wrote that seeing him at concerts and signings made it easier to talk to him when I ran into him outside of planned events.

I bet he almost considers you a friend.

I wouldn't mumble or faint or anything. I imagine it'd be rather natural and easy to talk to him. He'd sort of have to pry me off of him which might be awkward, but after that I think we'd hit it off pretty easy. Ask me this a year ago and I wouldn't even consider talking to the man, let alone touching or giving him eye contact.

A few examples of acceptable and unacceptable places please? :o

It's not really so much the places as using your loaf to decide (was going to say "common sense" but it's not really common, apparently) whether Morrissey would want to be approached.

For example, a big nose who knows told me flight details for Morrissey's arrival back to L.A. I don't know why this person told me these details, but I wasn't going to show up at the terminal for international arrivals with a placard reading "Mr. Morrissey" or "Welcome back home to Moz Angeles". It is a public place, but this info was not public, and I didn't want him to think I stalk him. He's probably tired after travelling and doesn't want to be seen looking haggard. Heaven knows I wouldn't want a camera shoved in my face or some fan with boundary issues to harass me after a long international flight. If he wants to see me, he knows how to reach me. It would be different if I happened to be there on business and saw Morrissey at the terminal.

It's the context, but here are some inappropriate places:
anywhere Moz has a reasonable expectation of privacy -- his house and his hotel (unless you are also a guest at the hotel and using common amenities such as the pool or the bar where he happens to be). I know some nice people who did go to Morrissey's house and he was very kind to them, but I would never go there uninvited.

Appropriate places: uh, anywhere that's public or where you belong, and when he's not occupied or looking annoyed -- record shop, pub, street corner, book shop, park bench, party where you are also an invited guest, etc.

If I saw Morrissey in the toilets, I would wait until after he left them to talk to him. But if I had any coke, I'd offer it to him right then and there in the toilets. :p

If I saw Morrissey in the toilets, I would wait until after he left them to talk to him. But if I had any coke, I'd offer it to him right then and there in the toilets. :p

haha!

omg, I'd love to be able to say I did some lines with Morrissey. :p

not like anyone would EVER believe me anyway. :cool:

I bet he almost considers you a friend.

Almost, mebbe. I'm not holding my breath for the day he phones me to ask me to do something as a friend.

One time I asked him if he would take tea with me, and he replied, "Only Earl Grey." Nice, but he didn't say yes or actually make plans to do so, the sly dog. :( I guess it's like when he sings "Is there any point in having children?" and points the mic at me, and I say, "Only yours, Morrissey!" Yeah, like that would ever happen! :eek: :p

I wouldn't mumble or faint or anything. I imagine it'd be rather natural and easy to talk to him. He'd sort of have to pry me off of him which might be awkward, but after that I think we'd hit it off pretty easy. Ask me this a year ago and I wouldn't even consider talking to the man, let alone touching or giving him eye contact.

So what changed you over the year? That sounds pretty dramatic.

I would love to say hello to him and if he was talkative, whatever he wanted to talk about would be fine. I would try not to start telling him my favorite songs or asking a lot of questions. The whole point for me would be to say "Thank you" and hopefully have a quick laugh and then leave if he wasn't encouraging conversation. I'm sure I would tell him something about what his music meant to me, even though he's heard it a million times.

There are other people I would like to meet that I think would be much easier to talk to, but he is the person whose music has meant the most to me for the longest time.

If he wants to see me, he knows how to reach me.

It sounds like you know Morrissey pretty well. How come? I mean, do you work for him or something?

I think Christians meeting Jesus would be less nervous than fans meeting Morrissey!

I'd love to meet him.

As I've always said -- if I ended up in a hotel elevator (at the Cadogan?) with Morrissey, I'd definitely say something. Otherwise I'd probably just nod and think "there goes my hero." (Foo Fighters reference unintentional).

Yes, I actually want to meet Morrissey. Thanks for asking. :) :D :sweet:

Of Course I would love to meet the great man- I never listened to music in quite the same way after hearing The Smiths for the first time. I was blown away by the lyrics & his voice. I would have a few resevations for like half a second, like would he want to meet me! Or what if it was a bad experience...could I listen to the music in the same way again! People say you should never meet your heroes, in case you are dissapointed. I certainally wouldnt just go up to him and start harrassing him, but if the opportintity was right, how could I say no?! How could I! I have spoken to Moz fans after gigs, who 'claim' to have met him & they have said he was actually really nice. I dont know what I would say to him, I would probably be in shock the whole time & would just say how much I admire the music & most of what he stands for! Keep the dream alive.............:)

I love reading your posts Mel!

I'd love to meet Moz and I've actually had dreams about it. but I would be nervous I'd say something stupid.

Hm - just posted my reply but it seems it didn´t work...another try:
oh, yes, I would love to meet him...after more than 20 years adoring him! I once talked to Boz before a show in my hometown - my boyfriend, who knows him since the time he played with the Polecats, was unfortunately not with me on this day, otherwise we would have had the chance to go backstage with him and maybe he would have introduced us to Morrissey...bad luck!

I don't think so, hence my reluctance to pursue situations where I could have met him. I can't possibly talk to my heroes. I mean, I've completely frozen up so many times before with some of my lesser heroes that I've met, like Carrie Brownstein, Colin Meloy, Justine Frischmann, and Mark Eitzel. How on earth could I talk to Moz?

carrie is so cool...so sad sleater kinney did broke up...any idea what she is doing right now?
hey comtesse long time no see ;-)

edit:
as far as i have read it seems impossible to met him and talk to him when his bodyguards are with him then he seems to be reclusive and not reacting (remember tht thread of this guy "who lost interest in moz after being threatened ") and when he is alone there is no one who "protect" him
but is it necessary to meet him?..and tell him our potted life stories..he would listen for sure..but it must be strange meet people he have never seen who tell them what an impact he made in his life.
i wonder about the people who did go to the house and even though they were treated nice by moz (its obviously not in his nature to tell people to "f*** off and leave my property",eh??) thats definitely an invasion in his privacy...thts a line that shouldnt be crossed

Last edited:
It sounds like you know Morrissey pretty well. How come? I mean, do you work for him or something?

I think Christians meeting Jesus would be less nervous than fans meeting Morrissey!

Heh heh, in a way I work for Morrissey, only he doesn't pay me money! :p Morrissey and I have a friend in common. And Morrissey's seen my face around at a number of concerts.

I love reading your posts Mel!

I'd love to meet Moz and I've actually had dreams about it. but I would be nervous I'd say something stupid.

Thanks, Compadre!

So what happens in your dreams when you meet Moz? Feel free to share in the thread about Moz dreams.

It's okay to be nervous. And even if you say something stupid, you will survive and Moz will probably be amused or tickled. He must be used to people becoming unglued by now. And if he's not jaded by it, then how delightful for him to be made aware of his power over people and how much he means to us.

I've never met him in a non-concert setting, but I've had some interaction with him from the stage that scared the hell out of me and threatened to ruin everything... but then he made it up to me. I think he actually felt bad about hurting my feelings, because he went out of his way to get to me after that.

So now... I don't know. I guess, yes, I would want to meet him, but I fully expect that it's possible he could rip my heart to bits with the wrong sort of glance. He's a perfect combination of sweet and sharp and you never know which side of him you'll get.

You guys make it seem like he's some freaky bipolar weirdo. He's not. He's probably just tired.

Back
Top Bottom