why do americans like the smiths/morrissey?

Yes, there's that too. Everybody wants to be English, I cannot be the life of me understand why. :D

Last edited:
Mind you, when I was, like, 13 I was obsessed with Nirvana and planned that in my gap year I would go to on some Kurt Cobain pilgrimage in Washington lol

why?

cuz i dont like america?
considering morrissey has insulted americans in songs it would seem a bit hypocritical to be banned from his forum

I've read most of your posts here Mike Joyce, and it's blatantly obvious you're nothing but a troll, and not a very clever one at that. This site was opened by Americans - if you don't like it, piss off.

I'm very much a midwestern American, and i really do love the music. I was first drawn to the Smiths because their sound was so unlike anything else that I'd ever heard before. And the lyrics are truthful, witty, funny, self-depracating, and everything else that I'd never found in an artist before hearing "This Charming Man" for the first time.

Not to mention that American music outright sucks. Almost entirely. :) REM was good, but there is little else.

Last edited:
I love them because I love everything British. I am an honorary member of the Americans For The British club. We worship our brothers and sisters across the pond. We submit to your holiness. I bow down to you humbly and worship the ground you walk on. May God be with you. Amen. :rolleyes:

What's nationality got to do with anything? People are people no matter where they live. I listen to Morrissey because he says things to me about my life, in simpleton words I can relate to his earlier lyrics, I suppose that's the case for virtually every Morrissey fan and fans of any other artist.

Thank-you. I totally agree with what you stated here. The passion stems from how you relate and interpret the songs to "you." His lyrics speak to me and speak for me when I have no words. No matter what nationality, we can all relate and that's why we are all here. :)

Thank-you. I totally agree with what you stated here. The passion stems from how you relate and interpret the songs to "you." His lyrics speak to me and speak for me when I have no words. No matter what nationality, we can all relate and that's why we are all here. :)

Yes i agree with everything you said. It doesn't matter. We all love Morrissey. It shouldn't matter if we are Amercians. We can like him the same as Brits

i have to say although i wouldnt have worded it in such a nasty way... i have often wondered why americans do get from morrisseys lyrics. he does sing about being english, and his music is very much directed at the british people. i often thought that there is no way that americans get as much out of morrissey as the brits. this isnt meant in any offence by the way.

:( then i should listen to finnish music only? :mad:

It seems people get drawn so easily into what can you could only describe as a childish statement, like i am i suppose...but there isn't a debate here just an excuse to have a go.
Anyone who has a love of The Smiths or Morrissey has more taste that your average music fan in my opinion, people and their taste are not restricted to a post/zip code.

So give over!

Kind regards x

Has anyone else mentioned how Morrissey decided to move to one of America's most vile cities? He must really hate America then. :rolleyes:

The guy is obviously doing this to get a rise out of everyone, and you all fell for it. he named himself "Mike Joyce", so obviously, he knows enough about morrissey's past in order to name himself Mike Joyce, cuz he knows Joyce is an asshole. So OBVIOUSLY he likes morrissey, hes just a pathetic loser and goes on a forum, such as this one, and makes everyone upset at him. Why? Im not sure...perhaps 15? maybe 16 years of age?

"America I love yah.. but your head is too big"

Uh, alot of us Americans read alot of British lit.
In which case our thoughts and education is a reflection of such 'humour'
Therefore making us eligible to appreciate Morrissey's banter. the end.

You are too funny. In fact to funny for this site.
I myself am American, not exactly proud of the goverment, but the country is not to bad. I'm sorry grey old Manchester is not more fun for you, I would love to live there, and just to let you know you were wrong about some of the things you said;

1. I do get the humor in Moz's music, and I think it is quite funny.
2. I'm not a yank, redneck, hick or whatever other predjuice words are in your vocabulary.
3. There is worse things then growing up in Manchester
4. Morrissey wants his music for everyone.
5. Is not RadioHead from England?

what do you lot know about growing up in grey old manchester?

plus you dont get the humour in morrisseys lyrics, you all just think its depressing like radiohead

f*** off and go and listen to your 50 cent crap

f***ing yanks
You are the idiot. I'm one of the people who actually do understand the humour an sarcasm of his lyrics.

You over general people, though many many Americans can fit the description. Just watch what you say, though I can't say I'm a fan of the country I've grown up in.

Back
Top Bottom