Morrissey on African Americans

Your Arsenal

yes I am blind
So Morrissey has pretty much written songs about Americans, English, Mexicans, Asians, but has he written any particular song about African Americans? Any characters, or references? Just curious, because to my knowledge he hasn't really.

Also, it seems like there really isn't any black Morrissey fans :o
I wonder if its the subject matter of his songs, or I dunno, anyone wanna give this a go?

Blacks have hip-hop and most of the mainstream music scene.

Who cares :rolleyes:

At the concert I went to there was an African American man with braids crying and crowd surfing around me.

My best friend Lee was a huge Morrissey fan back in high school- even more than I was. And he was black. So there's two. Seriously, what a question.

To answer it seriously, though. Moz tends to embrace different pop culture styles: rockabilly, Nouvelle Mob (or what would you call the Quarry aesthetic?), etc. I just dont' think that he's ever fallen in love with any pop style that's very strongly identified with black culture. He's said he doesn't care for jazz, for instance. And the soul he liked was White Chick London Soul from the 60's- like Lulu and maybe Shirley Bassey (yes, I know, not white, but very mainstreamed). Who's to say what he'll become infatuated with next? Somebody send him a Big Mama Thornton CD and see what happens.

I am talking out of my ass, I have no idea.

Well... I really don't know, but "you can change your name and you can bleach your skin" seems to at least suggest a no so pale subject... perhaps?

So Morrissey has pretty much written songs about Americans, English, Mexicans, Asians, but has he written any particular song about African Americans?

I don't know what an African American is (does that make me a European American?), but he definitely has a song about black people - Ganglord. During the Vienna, VA concert he emphatically sang, "Get your black ass to the ghetto..."

I don't know what an African American is (does that make me a European American?), but he definitely has a song about black people - Ganglord. During the Vienna, VA concert he emphatically sang, "Get your black ass to the ghetto..."

:eek: :p really!!!!?? shocking!

that would make mozza empathetic wouldn't it? also slummums suggests empathy at some points, if it is about blacks.

Hmmm... well the video for Hand in Glove is a series of clips from the movie 'A Taste of Honey' and includes a black man. I would say African American, but he was British. :)

sure he wasnt saying "fat ass?"

post a vid or audio so we can hear!
even if he is saying fat ass... then what would "plus sized americans" have to say about it? either way... dangerous ground. :rolleyes:

post a vid or audio so we can hear!
even if he is saying fat ass... then what would "plus sized americans" have to say about it? either way... dangerous ground. :rolleyes:

plus sized my ass, people need to eat less bleached wheat bread, meat, and melted cheese. but thats most people can afford in the ghetto. makes sense

plus sized my ass, people need to eat less bleached wheat bread, meat, and melted cheese. but thats most people can afford in the ghetto. makes sense

Obviously you don't know White Castle... thats protein man, you don't gain weight from that... it's protein.... protein makes you skinny... and Wendy's uses real beef too! That's good for you man... its protein, we need more protein, more, more more. Cheese is good for you... haven't you heard about protein.

And Morrissey should be ashamed of himself for calling fat people fat. The proper name is "PSA!" and I'll be damned if I am going to let you run around using words like black and fat.
:mad::p:rolleyes:

(however, seriously... sadly, i am vegan and I will be the first to admit that good, organic, natural, and wholesome food is generally a bit more expensive.)

Food deserts suck... whole, plain, raw foods (that aren't organic, that is) are actually cheaper than prepared or processed foods, but only if you live within walking distance of something more than a convenience store. You can't stock up on cheap frozen vegetables if you have a 45 minute bus ride to the store.

Poverty is a machine.

Obviously you don't know White Castle... thats protein man, you don't gain weight from that... it's protein.... protein makes you skinny... and Wendy's uses real beef too! That's good for you man... its protein, we need more protein, more, more more. Cheese is good for you... haven't you heard about protein.

And Morrissey should be ashamed of himself for calling fat people fat. The proper name is "PSA!" and I'll be damned if I am going to let you run around using words like black and fat.
:mad::p:rolleyes:

(however, seriously... sadly, i am vegan and I will be the first to admit that good, organic, natural, and wholesome food is generally a bit more expensive.)

thats why its so sad seeing the "bacon, eggs, pancakes, smothered in syrup and butter, with a side of coke all for 2.99" signs at wendy's and such in ghettos and poor neighborhoods - theres no where else to get a meal like that for that amount of money, but its like the worst combination and quality of food ever. theres a reason for all of that. people are able to change the fact that theyre fat, theres no excuse, but many dont have the resources and means to. its capitalism.

thats why its so sad seeing the "bacon, eggs, pancakes, smothered in syrup and butter, with a side of coke all for 2.99" signs at wendy's and such in ghettos and poor neighborhoods - theres no where else to get a meal like that for that amount of money, but its like the worst combination and quality of food ever. theres a reason for all of that. people are able to change the fact that theyre fat, theres no excuse, but many dont have the resources and means to.

this is true and I have to think that "somebody" has invested in that fact... wants it that way...
"take you and your rat pack brood to the long grass of a meadow administer 7 happy meals lethal..."

I was riding in a car with my two aunts. I have two sons, one of my aunts has two sons and is a pediatric nurse, and the other aunt has one son and has been on welfare since his birth. She was explaining that she doesn't understand why her son is so "big" (he is frankly obese, at 14) because he eats lots of healthy foods. For instance, she said, "He usually eats a whole box of macaroni and cheese for dinner. And that's healthy, it's made with real cheese!" The nurse aunt and I cringed. Loudly.

Most people have very little understanding of nutrition or portion size. They have developed a taste for the fatty, starchy, unhealthy junk in the stores and fast food, and they don't even know they are doing anything wrong.

But anyway... I think he sang "black ass" at one or more of the shows I've seen. I think he's done several variations... has anyone heard "skinny black ass" ever? He may have done that too, I vaguely remember.

Back
Top Bottom