What was the first song written with Th' Lads?

thewarroom

Scorpion Kicker
I know the first song that they performed was "Pashernate Love" at the Gloucester show in '91, but was that the first song that they wrote together as well?

I feel I should know that... If it comes to me I'll let you know if no one else has posted it.

well I do know that Alain and Boz played on the Sing Your Life single. Before that I dont know.

"We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful" was a single by Morrissey released in April 1992. It was taken from the then-unreleased Your Arsenal album and was the first Morrissey single to be written by Alain Whyte and produced by Glam Rock legend Mick Ronson.

Reaching number 17 in the UK Singles Chart, the song show's a harder edge to Morrissey's sound and moves away from the lightweight pop of his 1991 album Kill Uncle.

cossy

"We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful" was a single by Morrissey released in April 1992. It was taken from the then-unreleased Your Arsenal album and was the first Morrissey single to be written by Alain Whyte and produced by Glam Rock legend Mick Ronson.

Reaching number 17 in the UK Singles Chart, the song show's a harder edge to Morrissey's sound and moves away from the lightweight pop of his 1991 album Kill Uncle.

cossy

That was the first Moz/Alain song released, but i don't think there is a timeline available for when the songs were actually recorded.

It would be interesting to see in what order songs were recorded on each album.

I think there is some confusion as to difference between "first song written" and "first session." The first session Alain and Boz was involved with occurred at the tail end of the Kill Uncle sessions when there was an attempt to record an all rockabilly EP. This spawned Pregnant for the Last Time, The Loop, and the unreleased Born to Hang, all co-written by Mark Nevin. The line up also included Jonny Bridgwood and Woodie Taylor, the rhythm section on Vauxhall and I.

That said, there is some confusion as to who plays what. Nevin played guitar on all of his tracks. Boz supposedly plays on all of the aforementioned. Alain plays the distinct droning guitar on Pregnant and Born to Hang. A similar guitar line weaves throughout Skin Storm, the Bradford cover recorded around the same time, so that was perhaps from the same session. And Andrew MacGibbon (Paresi) claims to have played an overturned plastic tub on Pregnant. I believe it was Bridgwood who claimed Alain contributed harmonica to Sing Your Life (as credited on the single sleeve), but the part was wiped from the final mix. Alain has said many times that the sessions did not go well and assumed he would never get another opportunity to work with Morrissey until the Sing your Life video.

For his part, Alain gave Morrissey a tape with three instrumentals on one of the occasions they met at the rockabilly club in Camden Town. Since Pashernate Love and We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful were the first two fruits of Morrissey's collaboration with the Lads, it would be reliably safe to assume that one, if not both, were on that initial tape of demos. Then again, all three could have been scuppered, too, who knows?

Interestingly, My Love Life was recorded after these sessions and, though credited to the Lads, it was the last session with Nevin, Paresi, and producers Clive Langer and Alan Winstanley. The bass player is anybody's guess. Since it was recorded discretely from the Kill Uncle sessions, I would assume it is not Mark "Bedders" Bedford.

Cheers,

Jamie

I know the first song that they performed was "Pashernate Love" at the Gloucester show in '91, but was that the first song that they wrote together as well?

Hmmm I went to that gig. I would have remembered a new song I think though it was a long time ago.

And I missed the train back to Crdiff... so I had to get a taxi to Stroud and bunk up there for the night!

Gloucester allegedly has the longest rail platform in either the UK or Europe or the world.

As for the first "original" song they did together... according to Passions Pasherante Love at Leicester the folowing night!!! HA HA Brilliant

Um anyway my Lebanese is here

Hmmm I went to that gig. I would have remembered a new song I think though it was a long time ago.

And I missed the train back to Crdiff... so I had to get a taxi to Stroud and bunk up there for the night!

Gloucester allegedly has the longest rail platform in either the UK or Europe or the world.

As for the first "original" song they did together... according to Passions Pasherante Love at Leicester the folowing night!!! HA HA Brilliant

Um anyway my Lebanese is here

Yes Leicester was definately what I meant! It was a typograffical error on my part. :D

I think there is some confusion as to difference between "first song written" and "first session." The first session Alain and Boz was involved with occurred at the tail end of the Kill Uncle sessions when there was an attempt to record an all rockabilly EP. This spawned Pregnant for the Last Time, The Loop, and the unreleased Born to Hang, all co-written by Mark Nevin. The line up also included Jonny Bridgwood and Woodie Taylor, the rhythm section on Vauxhall and I.

That said, there is some confusion as to who plays what. Nevin played guitar on all of his tracks. Boz supposedly plays on all of the aforementioned. Alain plays the distinct droning guitar on Pregnant and Born to Hang. A similar guitar line weaves throughout Skin Storm, the Bradford cover recorded around the same time, so that was perhaps from the same session. And Andrew MacGibbon (Paresi) claims to have played an overturned plastic tub on Pregnant. I believe it was Bridgwood who claimed Alain contributed harmonica to Sing Your Life (as credited on the single sleeve), but the part was wiped from the final mix. Alain has said many times that the sessions did not go well and assumed he would never get another opportunity to work with Morrissey until the Sing your Life video.

For his part, Alain gave Morrissey a tape with three instrumentals on one of the occasions they met at the rockabilly club in Camden Town. Since Pashernate Love and We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful were the first two fruits of Morrissey's collaboration with the Lads, it would be reliably safe to assume that one, if not both, were on that initial tape of demos. Then again, all three could have been scuppered, too, who knows?

Interestingly, My Love Life was recorded after these sessions and, though credited to the Lads, it was the last session with Nevin, Paresi, and producers Clive Langer and Alan Winstanley. The bass player is anybody's guess. Since it was recorded discretely from the Kill Uncle sessions, I would assume it is not Mark "Bedders" Bedford.

Cheers,

Jamie

Thank you so much Jaime! That was very informative. Did this come from one of the Moz-related books that I haven't read yet?

Were Gannon, Rourke and Joyce fired because Joyce decided to sue Morrissey, or did Moz just not see them as his long-term band anyway?

Here's what I gathered from "Songs to Save Your Life":

Moz wanted them to be his backing band (at least Rourke and Gannon) if they would agree to drop their lawsuits against him. Rourke settled out of court and eventually did co-write three b-sides in Yes I Am Blind, Girl Least Likely To, and Get Off the Stage. Gannon continued to submit song ideas but did not drop his lawsuit and thus was not invited back. And I'm not sure about Joyce.

I'll go back and reread the last chapter of the book. If I come up with anything else I'll post again. Hope I have been of some help! :)

Here's what I gathered from "Songs to Save Your Life":

Moz wanted them to be his backing band (at least Rourke and Gannon) if they would agree to drop their lawsuits against him. Rourke settled out of court and eventually did co-write three b-sides in Yes I Am Blind, Girl Least Likely To, and Get Off the Stage. Gannon continued to submit song ideas but did not drop his lawsuit and thus was not invited back. And I'm not sure about Joyce.

I'll go back and reread the last chapter of the book. If I come up with anything else I'll post again. Hope I have been of some help! :)

Yes you have, thanks very much!

Happy to help :).

A little more: Gannon ended up winning his suit. Rourke settled out of court for $80,000 (I don't have British monetary values on my keyboard!). Joyce was so angered by this that he did not speak to Rourke for several years and declined an invite to be best man at his wedding!

We HAte It When Moz Releases A Crap Single was broadcast as part of the Secret Policeman's Ball (I think) for Amnesty c Xmas 1991.... supporting the proposition that this was one of the first songs written/ performed.

boz mentioned somewhere that the first one he wrote was "jack the ripper"...but maybe that was the first one he wrote on his own, without the band?

well I do know that Alain and Boz played on the Sing Your Life single. Before that I dont know.

Alain played Harmonica on that one...Johnny Bridgwood was The Bassist

Cheers,

Jamie

Who plays Piano on I've Changed My Plea To Guilty?

Back
Top Bottom