"This Charming Morrissey – Gay Iconography" - Towleroad

This story was published earlier this month on Towleroad, a well-known gay news site.

I thought it would have made it to the front page by now.

This Charming Morrissey – Gay Iconography - Towleroad
by Bobby Hankinson
July 4, 2016 | 1:53pm

Excerpt:

There are certain commonalities shared across many of the big gay icons that come to mind. Our pop divas — like Gaga, Madonna and Cher, for example — thrive on over-the-top costuming and spectacle. Sex, excess and escapism are part of the appeal.

On the other end of the spectrum: Morrissey...

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed. Perspective is influenced by so many things. It's always interesting to me to see the multitude of ways people interpret things.

Agree and I also just like to do it for fun. To try and see the probable plausible humorous near impossible ways to interpret. I really liked that guy who saw smiler with knife as morrissey writting about his surgeon during the cancer scare period. Was a neat slant on the lyrics

Exactly.
Does anybody here really care if Morrissey's gay or not?
If he sings for a man or women, what difference does it make to you and me? Surely, none.
I agree, buddy, with all of your words.
This story is old but it goes on. Who cares if Moz prefers men, women or both? As long as it's between consensual adults then it's nobody's business. All I care about is if there's gonna be another album(s).
People obsessed with other people's orientation just have too much time on their idle hands.

Last edited:
As far as I am concern, Moz came out of the closet when he said he adored Oscar Wilde some 35 years ago. You would have to be an extremely open-minded straight man to make that kind of a statement.
what kind of illiterate slum do you live in?! who, gay or straight, doesn't like Oscar wilde?! he's only probably the most beloved artist of all time. others may be more impressive, or hold higher esteem, but no artist is loved like Oscar is loved. the love people have for Oscar has nothing to do with sexuality.

Has anyone actually read the article before whining that Morrissey's orientation doesn't matter and that y'all lurve him anyway? It's not an article about Morrissey's own orientation. It's about him allegedly being a gay icon. His own sexuality doesn't matter in the context. One can be a gay icon without being gay. See also: Judy Garland, Madonna, Streisand etc.

Why is this forum so stupid?

Midnite, f*** you for rating me off-topic when, clearly, YOU are being off topic. Read the article ffs.

Has anyone actually read the article before whining that Morrissey's orientation doesn't matter and that y'all lurve him anyway? It's not an article about Morrissey's own orientation. It's about him allegedly being a gay icon. His own sexuality doesn't matter in the context. One can be a gay icon without being gay. See also: Judy Garland, Madonna, Streisand etc.

Why is this forum so stupid?

Midnite, f*** you for rating me off-topic when, clearly, YOU are being off topic. Read the article ffs.

Last edited:
what kind of illiterate slum do you live in?! who, gay or straight, doesn't like Oscar wilde?! he's only probably the most beloved artist of all time. others may be more impressive, or hold higher esteem, but no artist is loved like Oscar is loved. the love people have for Oscar has nothing to do with sexuality.
I was not disparaging the literary importance of O.W. I was simply pointing out that he would have had a major influence on someone of the same sexual orientation. I don't need to go any deeper into it. I just don't have the time nor energy for you.

Jesus Christ...
It's 2016. Sexuality is so passe!

Huma, Homo, Hetero, Bi, Trans, Transformed!

We all like what we like. Must it be so boringly black and white?

"I am hated for loving." I'm sure he's glad to be on the other end of the spectrum away from those three. Pop is dead, next thread please....moving on.

Please. There is nothing gay about one man putting another man's penis in his bottom. I have plenty of straight friends who do this all the time.

Please. There is nothing gay about one man putting another man's penis in his bottom. I have plenty of straight friends who do this all the time.

You will find that Mozbots worldwide agree with your sentiments, regardless of how you meant them.

True 2 BtBB :greatbritain::knife:Statement !

I just want to say, I haven't been away ! :cool:
I am still right here, where i always was !
So one day if you miss me ! By all means post to me !
Because you can do !
But you might not get through ! :head-smack: It looks like I've been banned/gagged/silenced.:eek:

All of the rumours keeping me grounded :eek:

INTERNAL SERVER ERROR ? ? ? ? WTF ? o_O

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

True 2 BtBB :greatbritain::knife:Statement !

I just want to say, I haven't been away ! :cool:
I am still right here, where i always was !
So one day if you miss me ! By all means post to me !
Because you can do !
But you might not get through ! :head-smack: It looks like I've been banned/gagged/silenced.:eek:

All of the rumours keeping me grounded :eek:

INTERNAL SERVER ERROR ? ? ? ? WTF ? o_O

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:
oh benny darling! I hope this has not caused you any undue distress! You have not been banned, gagged, or silence, but rather they switched servers or somesuch. apparently deleting cookies/cache has worked for some people. it took changing browsers for me to be able to get on. I say this only because I'm hoping youll bring back the candy store post haste as I have not yet had the pleasure of patronizing it.

.....................................................................................

Last edited:
Why do we have 2 go over this time and time again questioning morrisseys sexuality, parteners and sexual experiences ?

Is morrissey GAY, straight, bisexual, or even polyamorous ect thats his business !

But I KNOW!

Of course we all have both male and female characteristics in different proportions , and are attracted 2 both genders in different ways ect but as far as im concerned, Morrissey is a heterosexual masculine male and all thats goes with it ! :)

But none is this of anyone's business or concern anyways, its his private affair!

I guess if 85% of his songs weren't related to this topic it would be a little strange for it to be such a constant topic of discussion.

Apparently lots of people care enough to say that they don't care and neither should anyone else. Gay people always get told either "Keep it to yourself" or "We know you're a f*****!" both of which are forms of bigotry. The first is more refined, of course. "Oh we don't CARE if you're gay!" Just remember to be a florist or a hairdresser and it's cool. Don't be a schoolteacher. We don't want your type around our children. Keep it fun and camp!
The second one is pretty self-explanatory. "You're a bad person. You're going against God. You're hiding your sexuality because you know it's a sin." Etc, etc.

Well, everyone that wants to shut down any discussion of Morrissey's multitude of gay references and situations, or explain them, "Oh, he's writing from a woman's point of view" sure like Elvis and The Beatles did all the time. Writing songs a woman could sing, well there's nothing queer there! Problem solved. Remedy: Shut UP!

Morrissey is gay as gay can be and he can tell his mum (and you) that he's huma whatever, but his imaginary girlfriend doesn't make him any less gay. Read some Tennessee Williams,

/rant

he's not this-sexual or that-sexual, he says he is humasexual....
so, he IS telling us !

Morrissey is gay as gay can be and he can tell his mum (and you) that he's huma whatever, but his imaginary girlfriend doesn't make him any less gay. Read some Tennessee Williams,

/rant

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom