"This Charming Morrissey – Gay Iconography" - Towleroad

Discussion in 'General Discussion archive 2016 (read-only)' started by gustavo, Jul 20, 2016.

By gustavo on Jul 20, 2016 at 6:04 AM
  1. gustavo

gustavo Member

This story was published earlier this month on Towleroad, a well-known gay news site.

I thought it would have made it to the front page by now.

This Charming Morrissey – Gay Iconography - Towleroad
    by Bobby Hankinson
    July 4, 2016 | 1:53pm

Excerpt:

There are certain commonalities shared across many of the big gay icons that come to mind. Our pop divas — like Gaga, Madonna and Cher, for example — thrive on over-the-top costuming and spectacle. Sex, excess and escapism are part of the appeal.

On the other end of the spectrum: Morrissey...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2016

Comments

Discussion in 'General Discussion archive 2016 (read-only)' started by gustavo, Jul 20, 2016.

1. MIDNITE
      MIDNITE
      Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
      • Redundant Redundant x 1
      • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
    2. rifke
      rifke
      he's the same person either way, so it hardly matters.

but! for what it's worth! I hope he's gay because I really wanna go blazer shopping with him and going blazer shopping with a straight man just seems like it might be uncomfortable
      • Funny Funny x 2
    3. MIDNITE
      MIDNITE
      .....................................................................................
      Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
      • Like Like x 2
      • Dislike Dislike x 1
      • Redundant Redundant x 1
    4. 12" on the slack
      12" on the slack
      That's not at all what this article is about.

You can be a gay icon without being gay. See also: Judy Garland, Barbra Streisand, Cher, Madonna, Kylie etc.

But since you started it: he is most certainly not a heterosexual man. Heterosexual men don't sleep with other men, darling.
      Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
      • Like Like x 1
      • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
    5. Lil'Bastard
      Lil'Bastard
      Wow, they've taken some real liberties in claiming the themes in those songs as being "gay" ones. Part of the beauty of Moz's (particularly early) work was that it was its ambiguity. You could easily interpret any of the passages they quote as pertaining to heterosexuals as easily as you could claim the opposite.
      • Like Like x 3
    6. tyronepowebottom
      tyronepowebottom
      how can anyone think This Charming Man or the lyrics " I'm spellbound, but a woman divides" could be interpret as pertaining to heterosexuals tho?
    7. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      A women dividing hetero men is a pretty common theme. Dividing friendship family. This charming man is a bit more specific though
    8. Lil'Bastard
      Lil'Bastard

Please do recall that he has been quoted before as stating that not all of his songs are written from his/a man's perspective, and that many of them can be taken as being sung from a female's POV. Not that I disagree about TCM, however, the only thing in it that can really be relied upon as "evidence" of the two characters being male is in the form of the stranded bicyclist asking "will nature make a man of me yet" while assuming that the speaker is a boy, and not, instead (though it is a preposterous unlikelihood), a female wishing they were male.
      Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
      • Like Like x 1
    9. Lil'Bastard
      Lil'Bastard
      True. I really meant "the least probable" of the possibilities.
    10. Raphael Lambach
      Raphael Lambach
      Exactly.
      Does anybody here really care if Morrissey's gay or not?
      If he sings for a man or women, what difference does it make to you and me? Surely, none.

I agree, buddy, with all of your words.
      • Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    11. klaus
      klaus
      I'm looking for some words
      To call my own
      Worn-out phrases
      And a hand-me-down

They'll knock me
      Under where I stand
      Sad on his back
      In a corned beef pan
      • Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    12. MarioTheMexMozFan
      MarioTheMexMozFan
      Realmente no importa, el sigue siendo mi Pastor.
      It really does not matter, he still is my Shepherd.
      Amen:innocent:
    13. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Cant open the link without my browser crashing. Anyone else getting this?
    14. ACTON
      ACTON
      This story is old but it goes on. Who cares if Moz prefers men, women or both? As long as it's between consensual adults then it's nobody's business. All I care about is if there's gonna be another album(s).
      People obsessed with other people's orientation just have too much time on their idle hands.
    15. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      As far as I am concern, Moz came out of the closet when he said he adored Oscar Wilde some 35 years ago. You would have to be an extremely open-minded straight man to make that kind of a statement.
      • Informative Informative x 1
    16. My Only Weakness
      My Only Weakness
      Ahh, see, I always thought he meant a woman creates babies, i.e., from one, turns into more than one. I made my first interpretations of these lyrics as a very young girl.
      Brooding, intellectual, perpetually tortured old soul kind of young girl, but, still...
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Interesting Interesting x 1
    17. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      There's a bunch of ways people can look at things
    18. My Only Weakness
      My Only Weakness

It is such a shame that we as humans have installed so many traumas for ourselves to overcome. We have the privilege of being at the top of the food chain on a pretty awesome planet, which we have successfully adapted our evolution to quite perfectly, and all we can do is destroy, fight, and greedily hoard resources instead of creating, and peacefully sharing our resources so that everyone is fed, cared for, allowed to be productive and have access to enriching their minds with education.
      I just wonder how many times have we gone around a cycle on this planet and forgotten. Maybe we have been attempting to get things right for a lot longer than we will ever know! We like to think we're terribly complex and highly evolved, but we clearly have so many things still unresolved.
      • Like Like x 2
    19. My Only Weakness
      My Only Weakness
      Indeed. Perspective is influenced by so many things. It's always interesting to me to see the multitude of ways people interpret things.