Paint a vulgar picture Rough Trade or Johnny

"Used to be gay"? Basically you think Johnny's bisexual. Shocker :rolleyes:

no, it isn't shocking, at all, unless you're narrow-minded. i just heard that he used to take it, but his wife turned him. have you heard that, too?

ya see, this is why I married you, your sparkling sense of humour!

i knew there had to be something!

you are a troll and should be banned.......

mate, they run very weird policies on that kinda thing, so anything's possible.

Oh, you know why I married you...

no, it isn't shocking, at all, unless you're narrow-minded. i just heard that he used to take it, but his wife turned him. have you heard that, too?

I know it isn't shocking, hence the rolling-eye smiley. I just don't think it's possible for anyone to "used to be gay" and then suddenly turn straight. It is however perfectly possible that Johnny is bisexual, however unlikely.

Oh, and if his wife "turned him", then he couldn't ever have had homosexual relationships because he's been with her since he was 14. Unless you think he was cheating on her with Morrissey :rolleyes:

Oh, and if his wife "turned him", then he couldn't ever have had homosexual relationships because he's been with her since he was 14. Unless you think he was cheating on her with Morrissey :rolleyes:

i think he was, y'know

i think he was, y'know

Why? Because they hugged a lot and Moz wrote "Angel, Angel, Down We Go Together" about him? :confused:

Why? Because they hugged a lot and Moz wrote "Angel, Angel, Down We Go Together" about him? :confused:
Please Amy, don't disappoint HIM! You see that the man is really eager to believe that, however unlikely it is, and we're all allowed to have our little fantasies! ;)

Yes, apparently a girl threw herself as Johanssen at one of the NYD gigs - or at least that's what Moz wrote in his NYD book: "A very young girl clutched David's arm and pleaded: 'Take me with you pl-eease, wherever you're going...'"

But is about a dead star and the record company releasing everything that they could to cash in, and that obviously couldn't be about David Johanssen as 1) he is alive 2) The Dolls were never that popular back in those days for any company to re-release their stuff even if he had died. Morrissey said it was about 'practically anybody who's died and left behind a that frenetic fanatical legacy which sends people scrambling, Billy Fury, Marc Bolan." He seems to have only named them as examples. Some people assumed it was about Billy Fury because his photo is on the inside sleeve of Strangeways next to the lyrics, but it couldn't have been literally about him, because his death did not make the record company unleash a series of re-releases. And the song explicitly mentions MTV, so it was obviously set in present time. Bolan and Fury were stars in the pre-MTV days. Some people speculated that Morrissey was imagining his own death and what would follow it. I think that the song is simply about a typical, universal situation.

I think the dead star bit isnt supposed to be literal, I always assumed it meant that it meant that the 'stars' career has died

I think the dead star bit isnt supposed to be literal, I always assumed it meant that it meant that the 'stars' career has died
Died in what sense? As in, their career has gone downhill commercially, or as in, they've gone commercial and they're popular but their career has done down artistically? It can't be the first, because

"At the record company meeting
on their hands - a dead star
and ooh, the plans that they weave
and ooh, the sickening greed
At the record company party
on their hands - a dead star
the sycophantic slags all say:
"I knew him first, and I knew him well"
Re-issue! Re-package!
Re-evaluate the songs..."
etc.

I think this suggests that the star has died, literally, and the record company is all too eager to milk it commercially. It's a well known situation, a pop star's death very often brings a surge of media interest and increases record sales.

It could be that they have gone downhill commercially in terms of recent output, but they 'plan' to re-issue the old popular stuff

Back
Top Bottom