The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 135: PAINT A VULGARE PICTURE

How do you rate Paint A Vulgar Picture?

• Total voters
Oh, come on - Morrissey is one of the most outspoken and strong artists out there. If he didn't want his records re-released in the manner in which they have been, they wouldn't be.

It's record companies, and contract obligations that are usually behind these reissue repackage schemes, and I think that's part of the point. It exploits the artist as well as the public.

I don't know who was behind the rereleases of Quarry in its different forms, though, but its hard to see Morrissey sitting down to plot that he would wait 6 months and rerelease with the b-sides.

Not that he's exempt from wanting cash, but I think using the words of this song against him misses the point that it is the evil record company he is singing about, and how they victimize the artist and turn the art into product.

or something like that...

uhm. it supplies you with a nice mix of some of morrisseys best non-album tracks?

I agree that if My Early Burglary Years were a compilation of b-sides, it would be essential. However, it includes songs that make absolutely no sense - like "Reader Meet Author" and "The Boy Racer" (which were on Southpaw Grammar) and "Jack the Ripper" (which was on Beethoven Was Deaf). And it doesn't include many b-sides that are also unreleased on album. In other words, the album makes no sense! It seems that Morrissey just threw together a bunch of tracks that he liked, kind of like "World Of Morrissey" (which also includes "Jack the Ripper" and "Boxers").

Once upon a time (ie. in the World of Morrissey prior to "World of Morrissey" and "My Early Burglary Years"), Morrissey/Smiths compilations made sense and provided real value (like "Hatful Of Hollow," "Louder Than Bombs," and "Bona Drag"). These two pointless compilations destroyed that stellar reputation.

Comtesse,

Um being "outspoken and strong" doesn't mean a thing when you're under contractual obligations.

Comtesse,

Um being "outspoken and strong" doesn't mean a thing when you're under contractual obligations.

Well, I agree that he may have to release a certain number of records, but he certainly can control the content of those records. I know that he personally chose the track listings for World Of Morrissey and My Early Burglary Years, so he has no one to blame but himself for those odd albums.

Total class--the compact solo Johnny offers is one of the most moving melodies he wrote for a Smiths song. The live version in 1997 was one of the best renditions of a Smiths tune Morrissey and the Lads ever did for those of us lucky enough to have seen it--wish he'd bring it back.

One I don't have much objective to say--it still hits that pocket of my soul the same as it did the first time 12 years ago.

Cheers,

Jamie

I know some people thing this song tongue in cheek or a bit too lame for the Smiths otherwise serious and wonderful songs, but..... I F-ING LOVE THIS SONG!!!!

My favorite part is "A list, playlist, please them, please them, please them"...and I also love the line "I touched you at the sound check, you had no real way of knowing...". *sigh* It just makes me feel good when I hear it.

I quite like this song. 7/10. I wonder did they ever play it live tho......​

Well I wonder, see above posts someone mentions the Smiths playing it live.

Moz played it live for sure during the Maladjusted Tour not sure where else he has played it but it was on setlist for that show this I guarantee. :)

Well I wonder, see above posts someone mentions the Smiths playing it live.

Moz played it live for sure during the Maladjusted Tour not sure where else he has played it but it was on setlist for that show this I guarantee. :)

Like all of Strangeways, it was never performed live by The Smiths.
Morrissey performed it live during the Maladjusted-tour, and sadly, never again.
Here is one of the last times he performed it, quite brilliantly, in Gothenburg:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRVTWgOMSIM

Paint a Vulgur Picture is my favourite Smiths song ever. For me, it is perfection. The tone is perfect, the lyrics wonderful, I just adore it.

That E isn't moving is it?
:(

Do you mean E? E major?
I have no idea what chords he uses, but I know they are major chords.
I prefer minor chords.
I didn't like this song at the beginning. I don't like songs in a major tune.
The song grew on me, even though I think there's nothing touching in it.

The lyrics are ok.
in my bedroom in those ugly new houses.
ugly new houses.

Do you mean E? E major?
I have no idea what chords he uses, but I know they are major chords.
I prefer minor chords.
I didn't like this song at the beginning. I don't like songs in a major tune.
The song grew on me, even though I think there's nothing touching in it.

The lyrics are ok.
in my bedroom in those ugly new houses.
ugly new houses.

no, the E in vulgar. its spelled wrong. vulgarE

I'm not English speaking, I can't make out these details :D
Hi nugz.

it's cool. id bet money alot of the english speakers didnt realize it was spelled wrong either....:rolleyes:

i keed i keed! :p (maybe on a different fan site, moz fans are smart...)

hi judge. i noticed you had gone missing. welcome back. :)

Back
Top Bottom