Nick Cave

Grinderman to release new album and tour UK in September

http://www.nme.com/news/grinderman/51226

Brilliant, after only a couple of months of Nick Cave fandom I am gonna get the chance to see him live. As I prefer his ballady side Grinderman isn't ideal but I've been listening to their record and I still think it's pretty good. And the Manchester Academy is such an intimate venue! This is gonna be off the scale :D

:D

Great news, am so thankful I stumbled across this...hope it's not sold out.

One of the best albums Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds is Tender Prey. I've always like him but my fascination with Nick cave has been renewed recently.

Last edited:
I think the main difference between these two artists is that Nick Cave is a musician, so is always taking different approaches musically, whereas Morrissey is a different type of genius who uses musicians to direct his words through impassioned vocal melodies. It is not necessarily Morrissey's priority to push music into new ground. It's more a template for expressing his words in the most appropriate way. Obviously he shares with Nick Cave a literate, intelligent usage of words along with the focus on dark areas of life.

My favourite Cave albums are 'No more shall we part' and 'The Boatman's call'. I love several songs on 'Murder Ballads' ( the classic 'Stagger Lee' and O Malleys Bar').

My favourite Cave albums are 'No more shall we part' and 'The Boatman's call'. I love several songs on 'Murder Ballads' ( the classic 'Stagger Lee' and O Malleys Bar').

Stagger Lee may be my favorite lyrics of all time, and i'm not a huge Nick Cave fan

I think the main difference between these two artists is that Nick Cave is a musician, so is always taking different approaches musically, whereas Morrissey is a different type of genius who uses musicians to direct his words through impassioned vocal melodies. It is not necessarily Morrissey's priority to push music into new ground. It's more a template for expressing his words in the most appropriate way. Obviously he shares with Nick Cave a literate, intelligent usage of words along with the focus on dark areas of life.

Well Said

What I found an interesting time in Cave's career was when he was mentoring Kylie Minogue. Trying to pry a little substance out of her ... it seemed like such a strange paring. It reminds me of one of the great quotes from Melbourne band TISM - "I know I've gone mad when I've seen Kylie up on stage reading out 'i should be so lucky' in poem form with poor insulin dependant Nick Cave egging her on from the wings".

That was endearing to me but I am slightly annoyed by the fact that Kylie had to snog with Nick Cave first before developing any identity of her own. When I found out that Nick Cave and PJ Harvey briefly dated at the time of the collaboration on 'Henry Lee' I thought maybe Kylie and he... you know. He and Kylie are different but the collaboration was beautifully executed in "Where the Wild Roses Grow".

Here's a video of their first live performance:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom