Morrissey and love, relationships etc...

don't be such arrogant who only see and hear themselves. then you will see that maybe you also don't understand this world and everything that happens in it so perfectly.
You are the one who started calling people "cavemen" and saying that we don't understand Morrissey, we're just gossiping about his sex life, etc, etc. Nobody had mentioned sex at all. You were just ranting and basically killed the thread.

You are the one who started calling people "cavemen" and saying that we don't understand Morrissey, we're just gossiping about his sex life, etc, etc. Nobody had mentioned sex at all. You were just ranting and basically killed the thread.
is that true?:confused: Oh my God, what have I done:tears::ahhh::drama:

well, okay, I promise not to go drunk on the site anymore, but I warn you right away that I'm not sure it will help.

think with M its a case of,the woman of my dreams never really arrived and he wonders why.

as the starter of this thread I feel some sort of personal responsibility - no offence was intended and I apologise for any meaningful offence taken.

That said, you can't let Morrissey release 'the national front disco' and then suggest his politics is somehow above discussion on the grounds of 'privacy' or whatever. It really is disingenuous to have it both ways or attempt to. Sorry.

Morrissey puts his perspective on love and relationships out there in the form of his songs. Dissections of 'meanings' have been going on forever and are totally legitimate.

For what it's worth I'm a creator and performer myself - google me by all means. And dissect away. I asked for it I guess.

I hope Moz is happy and thriving, whether single or with a significant other - more than anything I hope he has evolved to the point where one person 'not wanting him' isn't seen as some personal disaster or failure. He has so much to be proud of, flaws aside.

I have tried to handle this in a sensitive way and apologise to anyone who feels that I have failed. Sorry.

Thanks. I think postwoman has evolved her view somewhat and that's great.

You can't put your take on life in the public domain and then require people not to discuss the meanings of what you are singing/saying on the grounds of 'privacy' or whatever. You put it up there, people will line up to discuss meanings thereof.

No offence or unpleasantness was intended...all I'll say is if Morrissey didn't want his work dissected he should probably not have put it 'out there' to a mass audience. Leave it at that.
Seems to me you were very sensitive and respectful in framing the question - almost too much so. It was all a bit oblique. But I think it is a perfectly reasonable question to ask. And let's be honest - it is something that any fan of the music is going to think about at some point.
I also think Moz is just one of those people for whom sex is just not the be-all and end-all of his life. I think he maybe finds it all a bit bizarre and strange and nausea inducing at times. As John Lydon put it, sex is really just 5 minutes or so of squelching noises. Looked at objectively, it can all seem rather tacky and unpleasant. And an obvious means of advertisers to sell us things and 'consume' more. With hook up apps on smartphones now sex is just another form of consumerism. Sex is a rather good metaphor for capitalist exploitation of the world in many ways. War is just boys comparing dick size but with guns and rockets instead of appendages.

This reminds me that on stage recently Morrissey asked the fans to think of him if they were going to have Percy Filth that night. Since he was obviously talking about our sex lives, I don't see why we shouldn't return the compliment by talking about his!

I believe that Morrissey's hesitation about 'hoping for a relationship' or 'accepting the lack of one' depends on whether he was guided by his heart or critical thinking at the time of writing the lyrics. He is already over 60, he realizes that the likelihood of meeting the right person is decreasing, but on the other hand, he does not exclude the fact that someday he will still meet the right person. These “swings” in his lyrics (“And I’m not looking for just anyone”, “Be my dearest love”) indicate that he doesn’t even think about purposefully looking for a partner, “if only someone, but was"; rather, he lives in the usual rhythm of life, but if he meets the right person, he will certainly not miss him. No matter how beautiful his songs about loneliness are, I would like to wish Morrissey simple human happiness in love. It is clear that his team, musicians, and agents constantly revolve around him, and yet they cannot replace the care and support of a loved one.

Last edited:
I have to say I find it a bit strange to be offended by this thread, especially since the OP went out of his way to be very respectful about it.
Way worse is said all the time here, it seems every other day someone is calling Moz an alcoholic, for example.

I think there's always been this conflict with Morrissey between longing for someone, but also enjoying his own space and freedom.

I think he's always romanticised the idea of finding someone who loves him and that he loves in return. But the mundane, day to day stuff like sharing a house and going to the supermarket he probably finds quite boring and stifling.

I often think of the bit in The Importance of Being Morrissey where he says "I don't think human beings get on" and that he can't imagine how or why living with someone would even take place. Of course, we now know that Morrissey did in fact have relationships with Jake and Tina in the years prior to that documentary. Something which he didn't talk about in it, but later revealed in his autobiography.

If Morrissey had settled down into a wonderful, long lasting relationship with someone then it's difficult to see what he would have written songs about. I think what he does for a living is a form of therapy for him. If he had this happy and fulfilling personal life, then what is there left to say? The race is run, you've found your happy ever after.

I study lyrics by other artists about unrequited love and failed relationships, and then you Wikipedia the songwriter and you find out that they've been happily married to someone for 20 years. And I wonder, do they believe in the songs they write? Are they autobiographical? I can understand a perennially single person writing songs like that, but when you're married to someone I often wonder whether they demand to know if the songs are about them or an old flame? I can't imagine writing a song like "I Know It's Over", showing it to your wife and then kissing her goodnight. Wouldn't she have...questions?

I think there's always been this conflict with Morrissey between longing for someone, but also enjoying his own space and freedom.

I think he's always romanticised the idea of finding someone who loves him and that he loves in return. But the mundane, day to day stuff like sharing a house and going to the supermarket he probably finds quite boring and stifling.

I often think of the bit in The Importance of Being Morrissey where he says "I don't think human beings get on" and that he can't imagine how or why living with someone would even take place. Of course, we now know that Morrissey did in fact have relationships with Jake and Tina in the years prior to that documentary. Something which he didn't talk about in it, but later revealed in his autobiography.

If Morrissey had settled down into a wonderful, long lasting relationship with someone then it's difficult to see what he would have written songs about. I think what he does for a living is a form of therapy for him. If he had this happy and fulfilling personal life, then what is there left to say? The race is run, you've found your happy ever after.

I study lyrics by other artists about unrequited love and failed relationships, and then you Wikipedia the songwriter and you find out that they've been happily married to someone for 20 years. And I wonder, do they believe in the songs they write? Are they autobiographical? I can understand a perennially single person writing songs like that, but when you're married to someone I often wonder whether they demand to know if the songs are about them or an old flame? I can't imagine writing a song like "I Know It's Over", showing it to your wife and then kissing her goodnight. Wouldn't she have...questions?
Maybe more songs like Now my Heart is Full.

The theme of longing and unrequited love doesn't seem quite as important in Morrissey's writing post-Smiths though, does it?

Morrissey has been in a long term relationship for about 15 years now if I am not mistaken.

Morrissey has been in a long term relationship for about 15 years now if I am not mistaken.
Are you talking about that D bloke? That's an 'assistant with benefits', more like. ...
Tbf, I don't know, and what's going on between them is none of my business anyway. And even if he's an assisant with benefits, maybe that's what both of them want, with Moz having given up on finding 'true love', or perhaps having never really started to begin with. Surrounding yourself with a bunch of sycophants is not the smartest way to find someone who genuinely cares for you in the first place ... just my opinion.

Tags
. relationships love morrissey
Back
Top Bottom