"Istanbul" - spoken-word promo video

Upon first listen to the hauntingly beautiful spoken-word rendition of this song I got nearly paralyzed I was so overtaken by, on the one hand, how perfectly "Istanbul" works as a poem (a feat precious few lyrics manage to accomplish), and, on the other, that I could just as easily have been listening to the ghost of Siegfried Sassoon reciting “Suicide in the trenches”. Both "Istanbul" and Sassoon's poem of yore deal with the same subject: tragic and unnecessary loss of young life, albeit using different context fit for their respective eras. It renders me teary-eyed contemplating that although in many aspects a quite (r)evolutionary century has passed since Sassoon penned his masterpiece, human remains the most evil species of all. Moz hits a tone strikingly similar to Sassoon's and even uses the same meter as he did, although he exercises more freedom of form. I can’t imagine any of this being a coincidence, especially considering that with Morrissey such parallels are never merely that.

This said, I have no idea if I’m even close to the truth here. What I do know is that I find myself quite taken by “Istanbul”, with it giving me goosebumps just on its on merits. A stunner of a song!

Morrissey/Istanbul

Siegfried Sassoon/Suicide in the trenches

When he first cried his mother died,
I had tried to be his guide,
When he was born I was too young,
The father searches for the son
in Istanbul.

I knew a simple soldier boy
Who grinned at life in empty joy,
Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
And whistled early with the lark.

Moonlight jumping through the trees,
Sunken eyes avoiding me,
From dawn to dusk the hunt is on.
The father searches for the son.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
He put a bullet through his brain.
No one spoke of him again.

On secret streets in disbelief,
Little shadow shows the lead,
Prostitutes stylish and glum.
In amongst them you are one.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
Sneak home and pray you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.

Rolling breathless off the tongue
The vicious street gang slang,
I lean into a box of pine
Identify the kid as mine.

Nice. Good work.

Interestingly I also thought of Sassoon whilst listening to the spoken word version-the style is definitely reminiscent. However, it also occurred to me that Sassoon was a keen fox-hunter, so, despite the many fascinating aspects of his work and character, I can't imagine Morrissey consciously using him as a reference point....

Upon first listen to the hauntingly beautiful spoken-word rendition of this song I got nearly paralyzed I was so overtaken by, on the one hand, how perfectly "Istanbul" works as a poem (a feat precious few lyrics manage to accomplish), and, on the other, that I could just as easily have been listening to the ghost of Siegfried Sassoon reciting “Suicide in the trenches”. Both "Istanbul" and Sassoon's poem of yore deal with the same subject: tragic and unnecessary loss of young life, albeit using different context fit for their respective eras. It renders me teary-eyed contemplating that although in many aspects a quite (r)evolutionary century has passed since Sassoon penned his masterpiece, human remains the most evil species of all. Moz hits a tone strikingly similar to Sassoon's and even uses the same meter as he did, although he exercises more freedom of form. I can’t imagine any of this being a coincidence, especially considering that with Morrissey such parallels are never merely that.

This said, I have no idea if I’m even close to the truth here. What I do know is that I find myself quite taken by “Istanbul”, with it giving me goosebumps just on its on merits. A stunner of a song!

Morrissey/Istanbul

in Istanbul.

Sunken eyes avoiding me,

Yes it was nice to wake up to. btw I'm marred, not married. Big difference, or maybe not?

ps: And as far as tours go we are used to missing out but the December 2012 tour here was greatly appreciated, especially to see him sing in the Sydney Opera house was a real treat.

The title of the album is begging for a World Tour. Can you imagine T Shirts with "World Peace Is None Of Your Business World Tour" on them? Or the "World Peace Tour"?

World tour is coming up 1001%. Moz will tour Australia again late 2014-15.

mcrickson, RB, Anaesthesine and CG – thank you for reading my post with an open mind. Your kind feedback makes me feel welcome.

Thank you for sharing this. You very well may be on to something, and it is lovely.

Thanks for this.

Astute post, cberlin.

Nice. Good work.

Ottoline, considering that Sassoon lived in an era when animals were not yet commonly regarded as sentient beings, do you think that Morrissey would forgo enjoying and referencing his work solely based on the fact that he was a hunter? I certainly hope not. That said, you could be right.

Interestingly I also thought of Sassoon whilst listening to the spoken word version-the style is definitely reminiscent. However, it also occurred to me that Sassoon was a keen fox-hunter, so, despite the many fascinating aspects of his work and character, I can't imagine Morrissey consciously using him as a reference point....

Ottoline, considering that Sassoon lived in an era when animals were not yet commonly regarded as sentient beings, do you think that Morrissey would forgo enjoying and referencing his work solely based on the fact that he was a hunter? I certainly hope not. That said, you could be right.

“A man who can dominate a London dinner-table can dominate the world.”
Lord Illingworth, Oscar Wilde’s A Woman of No Importance, Act 3 (1893)

I have a feeling Morrissey isn't that set in his ways of thought. His hero probably ate a few London Broils in his day.

I thoroughly enjoyed this interesting & I insightful post! Unfortunately, they are few and far inbetween..

You've a good eye (in this case ear!?), cberlin. I really look forward to reading your posts.

Morrissey/Istanbul

in Istanbul.

Sunken eyes avoiding me,

I think you're right about the album cover; I had the same thought. I'm a bit disappointed, although I like the cover. I was hoping for something pro shot too. I think, as others have noted, these are not "singles" in the traditional sense that we are used to. No physical release, no b-sides. It's probably for the best that Morrissey is changing with the time but I miss the old school singles. Maybe we'll get one after the album release.

You will. All of them on 45rpm ltd edition collectors items. And AIMMN, BAL & PATSE.

best
BB

Well, as a collector, it saddens me if there are no more singles with b sides (yes I'm aware how things are changing, but it's still sad).
I think the deluxe tracks are the b sides for the 3 singles and there will be nothing else physically to own apart from the album formats (is he really going to autograph all those copies!?).
Given the insane lengths some of us take to collect every type of release, the move to digital in whatever capacity is not brilliant.
I liked the attack formats and some of the decca iconography, but this has reduced to practically nill and the dog picture and wording logo appear to represent it all.
Well, time moves on I guess.
Yet, oddly, the drive for vinyl has returned and what better time to resurrect the 7" single... I live in hope.
Regards,
FWD

"Record Store Day 2015" Be Prepared....save those pennies in the piggy bank, kids.

best
BB

http://www.recordstoreday.co.uk/

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom