How has Morrissey helpted you and influenced you?

Re: Morrissey and your sexuality

Back in 1989-1991, I had a close friend who identified very strongly with Morrissey's lyrics. We lost touch before he had completed the process of coming out, but I know he drew a lot of strength from the words and Morrissey's quiet faithfulness to his own ideals. On his letters to me, he used to sign himself "Morrisslee." I miss him.

Well, since i first heard The Smiths, I learned that other people were as uplifted and I was at the sound and even more so by Mozz solo - it really makes me feel high and happy when I listen to the whole catalogue on the way to work on a dark morning .... nothing else makes me crack at smile at 6.30 am on a dark Scottish morning x .. AND IF A DOUBLE DECKER BUS ...:)

I had no knowledge of Morrissey/The Smiths where I grew up. It wasn't until I became an adult that I was blessed with his song - his beauty. His music has helped me and changed me. I am now happy with who I am.

A small large question lol did listening to the smiths or/ and morrissey, help u come out? or further your understanding about your sexuality? in the 80s alot of people had more main stream (at the time) icons or pop singers to relate and gel to,but being a shy or closited person thats homosexual we all know morrissey tapped in to them feelings and i was just wondering if morrissey was your gay icon! fag hags can reply to lol JOKE!

He sort of helped me in this way. I was thinking when i read the entry post i would write morrissey helped me understand my "erotic" and I"m a "biological" "female" who's attracted to women and sometimes men i think. but it isn't about sex at all is it, its more like an understanding of what some people unfairly call the "divine feminine" i mean here i am learning about the "feminine" by a man....but by "feminine" i mean that other way of understanding the world were taught to repress. a way based on feelings not rational, that part that is hard to express. its powerfully transforming, and can be political and frightening because its not controlled like rational. I'm really just paraphrasing Audre Lorde here and a handfull of other queer therist, poets, feminist, post-feminist, etc etc.

as far as being gay- yes he helped me a lot in that direct way too, if only because i couldn't come to terms whith calling it one thing over another, i couldn't just put myself in a box, and neither could he and now it seems he doesn't want to and even thoguh i have a better understanding of myself, I am in many ways above letting people define me, or even defining myself- its not a rational way of thinking but an erotic way of thinking.

Last edited:

its more like an understanding of what some people unfairly call the "divine feminine" i mean here i am learning about the "feminine" by a man....but by "feminine" i mean that other way of understanding the world were taught to repress. a way based on feelings not rational, that part that is hard to express. its powerfully transforming, and can be political and frightening because its not controlled like rational.

...I am in many ways above letting people define me, or even defining myself- its not a rational way of thinking but an erotic way of thinking.

Yes, it's an elusive idea, but my favorite people are those that come closest to being simply human - men and women who embody both worlds, and transcend accepted gender roles. It isn't, as you say, stricly about sexuality, but it is all about sensuality.

or wait, is it a three dollar bill that is queer? two dollar bills are still in circulation, right?

never mind.

Morrissey helped me:

- become more intellectual
- develop a better taste in music
- become a social recluse
- realise that music is the most beautful form of art
- in too many ways to mention

Love PTxx.

I like this subject. Well.. I find his lyrics totally relatable, which is really fascinating because I've never known another artist who could do it so close as he can. I especially love the way he touches subjects in his songs that other people dont. Like: Celibacy, vegeterianism, sex (but not in a gross way), and a few other things. He's so brutally honest! For example, I remember when I first listened to "Accept Yourself" It was like he was reading from his own diary or something. He presents himself as his true self and he doesn't pretend to be something he's not, like most typical singers of today that talk about the same dumb subjects..and who pretend life is always peachy.

morrissey has influenced me in many ways, on many fields of my life. i think i have developed myself as a person with the help or morrissey. somehow he's giving me the strenght being a vegan, being shy and introverted, being intellectual (ha!), being interested in things, being a queer (as sexuality & gender identity). he gives me selfconfidence to live in the middle of injudicious, unconscious people, not feeling ashamed.
i'm not even able to tell about the deeper ways he impacts me, it's just too hard to explain. simplified, his words and presence have helped me to love and to have hope. on top of everything else that insatiable man has had an impact on my fashion, too!

when i grow up, i'd like to be like him (+look like him, please!) minus the extremism (because eventhough i'm firm with my opinions, i'm just too dalai lama, too diplomatic).

i have to admit that i have a bit mixed feelings with mr.mozzer and his total influence on my life. here i am being a hopeless worshipper, follower who has had so much from him and yet i can't give anything back. he doesn't even know. all these aspects are bringing the word "religious" in my agnostic mind. i have this one-sided in many ways spiritual relationship, unrequited love and it's making me sick yet still being soothing.

Back
Top Bottom