Gustavo Manzur posts "In Your Lap" (piano instrumental) on his Instagram (October 26, 2023)

Screenshot_20231027-011916.png

gusmanzurjr-27102023-0001~2.jpg

Screenshot_20231027-012047.png

More proof that these ex members are nobody without Morrissey.
Hmm. Peter Buck and Mike Mills draw similar sized crowds with their various projects now. REM were bigger than The Smiths could have dreamed of being; comparing any of the individual members to the group isn’t really fair. Peter Buck isn’t shit just because Michael Stipe isn’t singing the words.

Probably irrelevant but on the BBC1 'One Show' years ago the lovely TV personality with an actual real personality Christine Bleakeley (now Lampard) and the overstuffed lumpy cushion Adrian Chiles interviewed Moz for the Years Of Refusal album.

Text from a review of the interview:

In regards to being on unemployment benefits back in the ’70s, it all started when Morrissey had said, “I was quite happy to be unemployed because I didn’t want to work. I didn’t want to have a job.” He said it so sincerely as if this were some kind of option.

“I couldn’t think of a job I wanted to do, so I thought I shouldn’t do any.” It is not often when someone states the complete antithesis of our boot-strap culture of ‘find a job, succeed and never complain.’ At a loss for words, the host, Adrian Chiles, could only muster the response, which increased the awkwardness of the conversation: “I suppose we all have to sympathise with the white-collar workers who only ever really enjoyed successes, who had no experience with going through (the dole).”

“Therefore, why sympathise with them?” Morrissey quipped.

Best quote from Chiles in that vid "...some kind of God-like status..."

Fantastic! Gustavo was so good for the Morrissey Band.

This is one of his best tracks he wrote with Morrissey. One of my faves on LIHS - which is a great and modern album minus 2 clunkers (in my opinion). Pretty sophisticated stuff, which is what you expect from Morrissey.

Probably irrelevant but on the BBC1 'One Show' years ago the lovely TV personality with an actual real personality Christine Bleakeley (now Lampard) and the overstuffed lumpy cushion Adrian Chiles interviewed Moz for the Years Of Refusal album.

In regards to being on unemployment benefits back in the ’70s, it all started when Morrissey had said, “I was quite happy to be unemployed because I didn’t want to work. I didn’t want to have a job.” He said it so sincerely as if this were some kind of option.

“I couldn’t think of a job I wanted to do, so I thought I shouldn’t do any.” It is not often when someone states the complete antithesis of our boot-strap culture of ‘find a job, succeed and never complain.’ At a loss for words, the host, Adrian Chiles, could only muster the response, which increased the awkwardness of the conversation: “I suppose we all have to sympathise with the white-collar workers who only ever really enjoyed successes, who had no experience with going through (the dole).”

Morrissey is sometimes unintentionally comedy gold, put him in a bland bbc early evening nicey nicey chatty programme and you can see how much he does not belong there, just by being honest, the looks from the other 3 are priceless.

Hmm. Peter Buck and Mike Mills draw similar sized crowds with their various projects now. REM were bigger than The Smiths could have dreamed of being; comparing any of the individual members to the group isn’t really fair. Peter Buck isn’t shit just because Michael Stipe isn’t singing the words.
Didn't know we were talking about REM!!

I don't know who that manager is. But they let Alain leave the band for that guy?... Alain is certainly adorable and the manager is anything but.... I never liked Alain's departure. I was expecting to see Alain at Morrissey's recital in Argentina.mmm.The manager seems quite unpleasant from the comments that have been made here. In addition, Gustavo M also felt the same way Alain felt about the manager. What a pity, because Alain wrote with M the best songs of Moz's solo era

I don't know who that manager is. But they let Alain leave the band for that guy?... Alain is certainly adorable and the manager is anything but.... I never liked Alain's departure. I was expecting to see Alain at Morrissey's recital in Argentina.mmm.The manager seems quite unpleasant from the comments that have been made here. In addition, Gustavo M also felt the same way Alain felt about the manager. What a pity, because Alain wrote with M the best songs of Moz's solo era
💯 Hear, hear!!

Morrissey is sometimes unintentionally comedy gold, put him in a bland bbc early evening nicey nicey chatty programme and you can see how much he does not belong there, just by being honest, the looks from the other 3 are priceless.
This is what I was worried about after the success of the Fox5 interview. Here in the UK this can go so wrong. That One Show interview was a close call.

Nowadays anyone on benefits can be painted as work-shy and lazy, holding the country back from it's glorious destiny.

I've never been a big backing band beau, but I LOVE Gustavo in this video. His playing is gorgeous. Moz made a big mistake letting Gustav and Alain go for a low, twat of a manager. Tut tut.

Last edited:
Very nice Gustavo!
I think Moz styles himself after the Krays and likes to surround himself with a shifty group of hooligans who do his dirty work for him. He drinks with them and values them more than the talented former musicians who have done so much to advance his career. Go figure.

Awful?

In Your Lap/Spent the Day In Bed/Israel/One of Our Own/Girl from TelAviv, etc.

Much better than Tobias, that's for darn certain.
I think all of those songs suck, except ‘One of…’ He’s written some awful songs. Love Is On, Bobby, Ruth, In Your Lap, Neal C, Earth Is… Plus the ones that you mentioned.

He’s a sophisticated musician. Very proficient. But he can’t write a decent pop song to save his life. One of being the exception to the rule. He also brings out the worst in Moz. The lyrics to all of these songs are horrible.

Last edited:
Gustavo has written some fantastic songs. I'd love him to come back - not to replace any of the current band necessarily, because they're excellent themselves, but just to flesh out the Morrissey roster with even more proficient and prolific musicians.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom