Goal or not? your views or answers please.

Just cut and pasted the laws of the game as from FIFA's website

When a penalty kick is taken during the normal course of play, or time has
been extended at half-time or full time to allow a penalty kick to be taken or
retaken, a goal is awarded if, before passing between the goalposts and under
the crossbar:
• the ball touches either or both of the goalposts and/or the crossbar and/or
the goalkeeper
The referee decides when a penalty kick has been completed.

So the referee has to decide the following in order to determine if the kick has been completed:
Has the ball crossed the goal line outside of the goal (no it didnt)
Did the ball touch anyone else other than the keeper once the penalty was taken (no again)
Did the goalkeeper have the ball under control once he had initially blocked it? That is the crucial point. He blocked it, but did not get control of the ball / push it to one side or over the bar.
Therefore the ref - correctly in my opinion - waited until the ball came to a natural stop.... and that was over the line between the goalposts.:cool:

I have looked every where for the answer.
This was in a penalty shootout and the law is different.I know that much.
My instinct says no goal.
But I'm not sure.

Of course it was a goal. If the shot was deflected by the goalie and the ball went in at a faster rate there would be no question about it. The goalie must clear or maintain possession of the ball.

Yes, IMO. It's the goalie's responsibility to stop it going in the goal but it went in the goal. If the ball had deflected off his knee and gone in, it would've been a goal, this is just a case where it deflected off his hands, (if you look at it that way).
He didn't make it his business to finish the job and clear the goal properly. He was unlucky, but footballers should know the ways a ball can behave, it was a fiercely spinning ball, he shouldn't have trusted it.

Now the ref gave it,I'm not sure.
It's a penalty shootout so the laws is a bit different to a normal penalty.
I was under the impression that once the forward motion of ball has been stopped the kick is over.
That includes if it comes off the post and hits the keeper and goes in,it's no goal.
Anybody know the answer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNC-gvoZEFM&feature=player_embedded

If it had just skimmed off him it'd have been a goal so what's the difference with it taking a bit longer after hitting him. Great vid. I love how he just walks off. Plonker!!!

The difference is,it's a penalty shootout and the forward motion of the ball had been stopped.
I have something in my head telling me it's not a goal in these circumstances.
I understand why people think it should be,but I'm not sure.

I've had a look through the FIFA rules and there's no mention of that.

No mention of the ending of the forward movement in rules of penalties or penalty shoot-outs. (that I could find.)

(It just needs to be kicked specifically forward to stop them kicking it to someone else to score.)

The ref decides when the kick is completed.

Yes, the FIFA rules on penalty shoot outs says ''penalties are to be taken as per normal penalty conditions''.

Obviously there are no follow ups or other players involved as a usual penalty would allow.
So the referee will witness one of the following with the ball - choosing the outcome by where the ball comes to a stand still.

1. The ball is placed by the penalty taker wide of, or over the posts / cross bar. Outcome, penalty is missed.

2. The keeper saves the ball, pushing it wide or over the posts or bar or the keeper gains complete control of the ball. Outcome, penalty is missed.

3. The ball hits the post/s or crossbar and rebounds into the penalty area away from the goal. Outcome, the penalty is missed.

4. The ball crosses the goal line between the two posts. Outcome, a goal is awarded.:guitar:

It doesn't matter how the ball gets into the back of the net as long as the penalty taker only touched the ball once and no other person (except possibly the goalkeeper) or foreign object came into contact with the ball.

Last edited:
Obviously there are no follow ups or other players involved as a usual penalty would allow.
So the referee will witness one of the following with the ball - choosing the outcome by where the ball comes to a stand still.

1. The ball is placed by the penalty taker wide of, or over the posts / cross bar. Outcome, penalty is missed.

2. The keeper saves the ball, pushing it wide or over the posts or bar or the keeper gains complete control of the ball. Outcome, penalty is missed.

3. The ball hits the post/s or crossbar and rebounds into the penalty area away from the goal. Outcome, the penalty is missed.

4. The ball crosses the goal line between the two posts. Outcome, a goal is awarded.:guitar:

It doesn't matter how the ball gets into the back of the net as long as the penalty taker only touched the ball once and no other person (except possibly the goalkeeper) or foreign object came into contact with the ball.

So it must be a goal. :straightface:

:rofl:

It seems that it is a goal.
I'm happy now.

"Yes, the goal (kick from the penalty mark) should count. The play is not over until the goalkeeper prevents the ball from entering the goal. As long as the ball has momentum, in this case the backspin, it could enter the goal."

http://asktheref.com/Soccer%20Rules/Question/23899/

Back
Top Bottom