Morrisey's controversial views

eht_shtims

Moz: "Reggae, for example, is to me the most racist music in the entire world. It's an absolute total glorification of black supremacy... There is a line when defense of one's race becomes an attack on another race and, because of black history and oppression, we realise quite clearly that there has to be a very strong defence. But I think it becomes very extreme sometimes."
"But, ultimately, I don't have very cast iron opinions on black music other than black modern music which I detest. I detest Stevie Wonder. I think Diana Ross is awful. I hate all those records in the Top 40 - Janet Jackson, Whitney Houston. I think they're vile in the extreme. In essence this music doesn't say anything whatsoever."

Under close examination, Reggae is highly engulfed with black supremacy. However, I don't think a lot of fans don't think deeply about the music.

Anyway, about the other stuff, it's highly subjective options, generally. Perhaps, you could claim certain artists are pushed from some kind of musical affirmative action, but actually a lot of people find the musicians enjoyable and highly talented. Anyway, everything isn't fair in this world. I mean, is it fair the kids of elites get into Harvard easier?

Fortunately, he did not mention Thelma Houston, only Whitney :highfive:

Of course, the talented like Whitney are going to be big shots, asking for haters. That comes with the territory. However, was she extremely talented? Of course.

As said in the interview, why does music have to say a political message? Well, I don't think Morrisey's stuff like "The More You Ignore Me" or "Everday like Sunday," said anything.

We once saw Lionel Richie at Gradwell's record shop in Oldham - does anyone else remember? 'Machine Gun' by the Commodores was in the charts and they were playing the 'Cat's Whiskers' that evening. He was wearing a long Afghan coat, had a massive Afro and caught the 59 back to Oldham town centre. Mr Gradwell was a lovely man; bought the record shop after losing an arm a the cotton mill accident. He would slide the white inner sleeve of an LP into the album cover by gripping it between his teeth. My copy of 'Diamond Dogs' still has has the faint imprint of his front dentures.

Yes, who is this Morisey or whatever? I thought this was about dude that sang in Smiths.

We once saw Lionel Richie at Gradwell's record shop in Oldham - does anyone else remember? 'Machine Gun' by the Commodores was in the charts and they were playing the 'Cat's Whiskers' that evening. He was wearing a long Afghan coat, had a massive Afro and caught the 59 back to Oldham town centre. Mr Gradwell was a lovely man; bought the record shop after losing an arm a the cotton mill accident. He would slide the white inner sleeve of an LP into the album cover by gripping it between his teeth. My copy of 'Diamond Dogs' still has has the faint imprint of his front dentures.
Brilliant anecdote. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom