The Falklands (or Malvinas) conflict

Aileen92

Some time ago I read an interview New Order gave for Melody Maker where Bernard Sumner talked about the Falklands conflict in a very patriotic way (well for me it's quite funny rather than patriotic)... Anyway, here is to note the difference between Sumner and Morrissey (Morrissey has always been totally supportive with us argentinians, that's one of the reasons we love him down here).
Here's the link:

And here the Morrissey support ❤

So what do you think about this?

Also I forgot to say... Peter Hook tells about this in one of his books. Bernard asking all the time about how to get in the army, if they pay you "per day" or if you have to wake up early in the morning to be in the army...haha

For God's sake, I read an excerpt from this interview about the Malvinas and Bernard's words sound exactly the same as the words of the russian fascist propagandists about the attack on Ukraine. Terrifying :rolleyes:

For God's sake, I read an excerpt from this interview about the Malvinas and Bernard's words sound exactly the same as the words of the russian fascist propagandists about the attack on Ukraine. Terrifying :rolleyes:
yeah, a lot of people here compares the invasion of Ukraine with the English usurpation of the islands... People like Bernard thinks a territory populated with English majority should belong to England... With that retoric what should China do with the chinatown in LA? Invade it?...

Falklands It's a very old and complex conflict. It's not so simple as he tries to put it... Also I noted he never read or made a research about the issue.. What? Don't they teach pupils about the "British overseas territories" in school?

I don't know too much about this conflict, but I do understand the people who live in the Falklands/Malvinas are of British origin and want to belong to Britain. Not a moot point. Not exactly the same as attacking a sovereign country.

As I said before, It's not as simple as that Crisstti... You should pick up a history book each now and then.
Also, as you are from Chile, you may know that Mapuches want their own territory. Would you like your land to be stolen by an alien nation?... Well it's the same with the Falklands/Malvinas.

As I said before, It's not as simple as that Crisstti... You should pick up a history book each now and then.
Also, as you are from Chile, you may know that Mapuches want their own territory. Would you like your land to be stolen by an alien nation?... Well it's the same with the Falklands/Malvinas.
Some Mapuches want their own territory. And judging by elections results, those are a minority.
Not sure how this relates to the topic.

The Falklands War isn't as simple as good Argentina Vs bad UK. The war was a ridiculous war, and yes, that scum Thatcher used it to boost her popularity, and yes, the Falkland Islands aren't within the British isles.

Despite all of that, it's worth considering that the conflict was started by the military dictatorship of Leopoldo Galtieri, against people who consider themselves British (and we're subsequently given British citizenship in 1983), and come under the protection of the British military. The Falkland Islands government has self determination over its domestic affairs as well, so invading the islands was a breach of its sovereignty.

Just to add to this, in 2013 a referendum was held which asked the islanders whether they wished to continue as an overseas territory, and they overwhelmingly voted yes, with 99.8% in support.

So yeah, Thatcher was scum, but so was the Argentine military junta, and a democratic government had every right to protect its people, people who consider themselves British and wanted British military support to defeat the invaders of their sovereign land.

Falklands War was bogus. Argentine junta were paid by the Tory fascists to stage this conflict, to stay in power. They've tried everything else before, CIA and MI5 tried to oust Harold Wilson when he was at no. 10, they were more success in Australia in the 70s. Tony Benn and the other looney left are/were Tory fifth columnists deliberately sabotaging Labour, now they have crypto-Tories the SNP doing their dirty work for them.

Marxism was created by the elite against the bourgeois, ie the Middle Class, they didn't want those with a foot on the ladder getting any higher, the working classes were duped by these fascists. Lenin was related to Russian royalty, the US army has an army base on Cuba, Guantanamo Bay, for over 100 years, yeah, during the bogus Missile Crisis, the US army was sat on the eastern half of the same island twiddling their thumbs while ex-Hollywood actor Castro hammed it up. History is bunk.

'The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed- and hence clamorous to be led to safety- by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.' (Like fake wars, fake viruses, fake climate change, fake serial killers, etc.)
H.L. Mencken

As is almost always the case with wars, it's hardly a black and white issue but Mark E.Smith had it right when he said that the Argentine government of the time were Nazis and needed to be stopped and Thatcher was the person to do it. Morrissey's comments about the islands were ill-considered but hardly surprising from a man whose politics are absolutely all over the place. He loves his Latina fans more than just about any other, despite the overwhelming majority of them being huge meat-eaters.
I'm still interested in Morrissey's music but, perhaps like many, I find him to be a spiteful, unlikeable bore. His enormous wealth makes it easy for him to sidestep his mistakes and flaws.
I'm sorry -
Morrissey's literary prowess is indisputable but he's nowhere near as intelligent as he thinks he is.

Back
Top Bottom