Elvis Costello

The Cat's Mother

Unmentionable
We've not had a Costello thread for absolutely yonks, so I thought I'd start one now, seeing as 'Mighty Like a Rose' has been included in that Rolling Stone 'Worst Album by Great Bands' listing.

I was a big Costello fan in my teens and twenties, but lost interest after he started dabbling in Country and Western. I still check out his output from time to time, though.

All my early Costello is on vinyl or cassette, but as a taster for the uninitiated, I quickly ripped and uploaded a few tracks from the CD albums I had handy - Spike, Mighty Like a Rose, All this Useless Beauty, Blood and Chocolate, When I Was Cruel and Cruel Smile. (I really must get round to getting 'King of America' on CD 'cos it's a corker.)

Sampler Tracklisting:

Couldn't Call it Unexpected no 4
So Like Candy
The Other Side of Summer
Veronica
God's Comic
Baby Plays Around
The Other End of the Telescope
All This Useless Beauty
Distorted Angel
Poor, Fractured Atlas
I Want to Vanish
I Hope You're Happy Now
Blue Chair
Crimes of Paris
Spooky Girlfriend (live - and he's got a great dirty laugh :D )
15 Petals
Tart
Episode of Blonde.

http://www.mediafire.com/?c1wlnc2ddjp

Kate

xxx

Good idea, it was about time for a Costello thread.
It's pretty much the same for me: I was a huge fan of his music up until 'Mighty' Like A Rose', then I slowly started to loose interest.

I saw him in 1992 with the Brodsky Quartet during the 'Juliet's Letters' period, and I must admit that I was a bit disappointed by the whole 'experiment'.

I think all his albums from 1977 to 1985 are fantastic...
One of my favourite is 'Armed Forces' and I also like a lot 'Punch The Clock': a truly perfect 'pop' record with healthy soul influences.

If somebody is interested I posted a while ago on my blog, an excellent sounding bootleg from the 'Punch The Clock' era (1983).

Link:
http://elmanzo.blogspot.com/

I'am a Costello fan. I have gone to quite a few of his shows. I met him once in Tampa as he came out . He was very kind and polite.

Yey, I lubs Elvis! I'll see him this summer! (Most likely) *excited..*

thanks for the boot, le Manzo
and the thread, mother

Good idea, it was about time for a Costello thread.
It's pretty much the same for me: I was a huge fan of his music up until 'Mighty' Like A Rose', then I slowly started to loose interest.

I saw him in 1992 with the Brodsky Quartet during the 'Juliet's Letters' period, and I must admit that I was a bit disappointed by the whole 'experiment'.

I think all his albums from 1977 to 1985 are fantastic...
One of my favourite is 'Armed Forces' and I also like a lot 'Punch The Clock': a truly perfect 'pop' record with healthy soul influences.

If somebody is interested I posted a while ago on my blog, an excellent sounding bootleg from the 'Punch The Clock' era (1983).

Link:
http://elmanzo.blogspot.com/

Thanks for this. I'm definitely back in a MacManussy mood, now! :D

Same for me. 'Almost Blue' on the turntable.
Not your favourite, right? :D I love the 'blue-redneck-country&western' MacManus :D

Ha, no - I loaned out my copy of 'Almost Blue' and never bothered asking for it back. I've been playing 'Blood and Chocolate', 'All This Useless Beauty' and 'When I Was Cruel'. And I've just replaced my vinyl of the 'Girls, Girls, Girls' compliation for a quid on Amazon....

He's a god to me. This Years Model, Armed Forces, anything from that era is what I consider to be his best work. Back then, he had so much built up anger, spite, maliciousness and he let it out all through his music. Lipstick vouge live gives chills.

i think he's done alright for himself arsey. he's hardly angry. he's married to diana krall (ugh)! on any given weeknite, he can be found at one of manhattans michelin rated eating establishments,supping on 300 dollar sea eel and 500 dollar foie gras. bet the celebrated chef always makes a point to stop at his table for a chat! the celebrated chef might reveal that the song 'alison' reminds him of his first live-in girlfriend!.

im sorry arsey, i hate elvis costello in 2007. i really do.

i think he's done alright for himself arsey. he's hardly angry. he's married to diana krall (ugh)! on any given weeknite, he can be found at one of manhattans michelin rated eating establishments,supping on 300 dollar sea eel and 500 dollar foie gras. bet the celebrated chef always makes a point to stop at his table for a chat! the celebrated chef might reveal that the song 'alison' reminds him of his first live-in girlfriend!.

im sorry arsey, i hate elvis costello in 2007. i really do.

I can understand your feelings. The attached picture says it all...

P.S:
Here's a little remainder of how great he was back in the day.
This is 'El Mocambo Show' a great promo from 1978, truly a must-have for EC fans:

http://nargothebortsdeviantsubculture.blogspot.com/2007/05/elvis-costello-live-at-el-mocambo.html
Thanks to the bloke who runs the above linked blog for uploading this.

Last edited:
I grew up on Elvis, as a teen, in the mid-late 70's..I was a huge Elvis fan..I haven't followed him much as of late..but his older stuff is some of my fav's.

Steve

He's a god to me. This Years Model, Armed Forces, anything from that era is what I consider to be his best work. Back then, he had so much built up anger, spite, maliciousness and he let it out all through his music. Lipstick vouge live gives chills.

Let's bump this again, since he's become the main topic of discussion over in the Country Music thread.

Here are a couple rarities that I've posted to Sendspace. They're later Elvis, but great.

Sally Sue Brown (MP3, 3Mb), from the hard-to-find 1994 compilation Adios Amigo: A Tribute to Arthur Anderson (the guy who wrote "Anna" and "Soldier of Love").

The Night Before Larry Was Stretched (AAC, 7Mb), from 1996's Common Ground: Voices of Modern Irish Music.

Let's bump this again, since he's become the main topic of discussion over in the Country Music thread.

Here are a couple rarities that I've posted to Sendspace. They're later Elvis, but great.

Sally Sue Brown (MP3, 3Mb), from the hard-to-find 1994 compilation Adios Amigo: A Tribute to Arthur Anderson (the guy who wrote "Anna" and "Soldier of Love").

The Night Before Larry Was Stretched (AAC, 7Mb), from 1996's Common Ground: Voices of Modern Irish Music.

Hooray! This is a great thread. Thanks for the rarities. ;)

Back
Top Bottom