Billy Bragg: There's no way back for Morrissey

• Thread starter Deleted member 29235
  • Start date
An agency story has appeared on a couple of websites reporting Billy Bragg's apparent further comments on Morrissey's "endorsement of right-wing politics."
https://www.list.co.uk/article/114666-billy-bragg-theres-no-way-back-for-morrissey/
https://www.femalefirst.co.uk/music/musicnews/billy-bragg-way-back-morrissey-1229883.html

Billy Bragg wishes "there was a way back" for Morrissey after his endorsement of far-right politics
Billy Bragg wishes "there was a way back" for Morrissey.

The 62-year-old musician has publicly criticised the 60-year-old singer for his endorsement of far-right politics and he believes the former Smiths frontman has "burned too many bridges" for redemption.
Speaking exclusively to BANG Showbiz, Billy said: "I wish there was a way back for him. As a Smith's fan and as an anti-racist activist, I wish.
"I worry that he may have burned too many bridges, though."
Billy responded to Morrissey's comments in 2019, whereby he claimed "everyone ultimately prefers their own race" when addressing the allegations of racism he has been faced with.
The 'Full English Brexit'' singer hit back after hearing the comments as he was "heartbroken" for Smiths fans.
He said at the time: "I think he's decided that he wants to betray everything he ever said in the Smiths, and he's broken the hearts of a lot of people..."
And, although it hasn't stopped Billy from listening to the Smiths' music, he won't be tuning into Morrissey's solo catalogue anytime soon.
He added: "I'll listen to The Smiths, but I was never into [his solo stuff] anyway."

An interesting op-ed about how France is dealing with Islam.
The article argues the point that having a frank and open discussion about the negative impacts that parts of Islam may have on democratic states can now be had by moderate and progressive politicians/people and not just alt-right wing nuts:

Shouldn't that have read: "having a frank and open discussion about the positive and negative impacts that parts of Islam may have on democratic states can now be had by moderate and progressive politicians/people ..." Or were no positive apects discussed? If no positive apsects were discussed I fail to see how the article could be balanced. Still checking out FP before I read the article. Seems to be a company that is deemed unbiased in its reporting. Need to do a little more scanning ......

I appreciate the 'parts', 'may'.

I have no issue with discusison as along as that discussion is credible, is without blaming language and that it does not homogonise all those who believe in Islam via a Christian-wash cycle.

A considered response. I almost entirely agree.

Where I disagree is on the more provocative issue of power trip. Why announce the ‘ignore’? I continue to believe that’s someone’s petty attempt at power grab.

On this site now: there is a total 463 users

448 guests
15 members

3.2% of the total users are registered

The site couldn’t survive if guests were barred.

I can only speak for myself, in that when I announced I was blocking ANON posts it was simply to explain what I stated above. Although, I agree it is completely hypocritical to announce that you have blocked anonymous posts only to reply to them immediately afterwards, and worthy of being called to task for doing so.

As for registering, I understand that this site is comprised of far more anonymous than registered users. I have seen these figures over the ten years I have been registered here.

I guess what I would say is that you seem like an intelligent, reasonable and interesting person. The argument has been used endlessly that whether one is registered or not everyone here is in essence "anonymous."

This is true, but (again speaking only for myself) I find it quite enjoyable getting to piece together a picture of individual registered users based on their posts. It is fine to be happy blending in to the woodwork if you so choose, but I much prefer to read the posts of those who I can identify over their years of creating an individual identity whether I agree completely or at all with what they write.

In the end, it won't matter a hill of beans. People come and go from this site and change their persona or even create more than one, but I know the users here that I enjoy reading and interacting with and I would like to think that they know who they are and there is value in that for me.

"it won't matter a hill of beans" ...never heard that one before.

I'd send this right back " ... what I would say is that you seem like an intelligent, reasonable and interesting person." ... and there are others, of course.

I have no issue at all disagreeing with someone as long as that disagreement is managed respectfully.
Over the years I've been ushered in many different directions by views that did not neccesarily chime with my own. The world changes and I choose to change with it, reluctantly sometimes.

I think you've demonstrated better than I could, it would seem, my specific issue: announcing a block only to respond, sometimes seconds later, only to announce another block and so on. To me there is something in there about control and therefore power. The same goes for those that feel the need to track IP hashes when it is clear they have no idea of their purpose.

Shouldn't that have read: "having a frank and open discussion about the positive and negative impacts that parts of Islam may have on democratic states can now be had by moderate and progressive politicians/people ..." Or were no positive apects discussed? If no positive apsects were discussed I fail to see how the article could be balanced. Still checking out FP before I read the article. Seems to be a company that is deemed unbiased in its reporting. Need to do a little more scanning ......

I appreciate the 'parts', 'may'.

I have no issue with discusison as along as that discussion is credible, is without blaming language and that it does not homogonise all those who believe in Islam via a Christian-wash cycle.
You should give it a read. You're right that there is no mention of positive impacts, which is a weakness. I want to give the author the benefit of the doubt that the benefits of pluralism and freedom of religion are assumed.

LOL, I'm now compiling a spreadsheet of sayings I've never heard of before...
Perhaps you could start a new phone line with the info. I can’t imagine what you’d call it though.

I can only speak for myself, in that when I announced I was blocking ANON posts it was simply to explain what I stated above. Although, I agree it is completely hypocritical to announce that you have blocked anonymous posts only to reply to them immediately afterwards, and worthy of being called to task for doing so.

As for registering, I understand that this site is comprised of far more anonymous than registered users. I have seen these figures over the ten years I have been registered here.

I guess what I would say is that you seem like an intelligent, reasonable and interesting person. The argument has been used endlessly that whether one is registered or not everyone here is in essence "anonymous."

This is true, but (again speaking only for myself) I find it quite enjoyable getting to piece together a picture of individual registered users based on their posts. It is fine to be happy blending in to the woodwork if you so choose, but I much prefer to read the posts of those who I can identify over their years of creating an individual identity whether I agree completely or at all with what they write.

In the end, it won't matter a hill of beans. People come and go from this site and change their persona or even create more than one, but I know the users here that I enjoy reading and interacting with and I would like to think that they know who they are and there is value in that for me.

:unsure:

Barnaby according to my 'spreadsheet' you have mentioned that you have blocked the anons about a billion times, while continuing to read.?‍♂️

You happily BLEND registered users, Barnaby???? You blend into the 'woodwork' but PREFER not to blend???? WTF Barnaby????♨

"I much prefer to read the posts of those who I can identify over their years of creating an individual identity whether I agree completely or at all with what they write"

WTF Barnaby you blend you dont blend then you prefer the poster that do their own blending??? Barnaby for you:?
Maybe you should quit blending the funnly looking cigs FFS

I appreciate the contributions that many anonymous posters make to this site, however, like registered users there are a few that each person may individually wish to ignore based on their own feelings towards that individual.

The issue is that this site allows for a sniper approach to block unwanted registered users as they can be blocked by each, unique registered name, but with anons (unfortunately) it is more of a shotgun approach that requires one to make the decision to block all or none.

It has something to do with VPNs, or some other internet/systems based limitation that falls completely outside my realm of understanding, and quite unfortunate given that one or two maladjusted, malnourished miscreants have led me at times to block all anon posts. In any event, I wouldn't view such claims as being based on some sort of "power trip", but more out of a reasonable expectation (or more realistically delusional desire) to have an enjoyable experience when coming here.

I only put the Anons on ignore because I was getting a lot of personal abuse & it was spamming up the threads.

I told them so they'd stop wasting their time.
But also in case someone wanted a real chat, so they'd know to use a registered account or a name I know & like.

An interesting op-ed about how France is dealing with Islam.
The article argues the point that having a frank and open discussion about the negative impacts that parts of Islam may have on democratic states can now be had by moderate and progressive politicians/people and not just alt-right wing nuts:

I mentioned his speech on the NME thread.

It's about time we talked about exactly how our liberal, secular, multicultural societies are going to function when we have clashing wants & values.

It's not about attacking Islam as a faith or Muslims as a group - it's about practical organisation.

Morrissey got ahead of the curve because the rest of us were too worried about being called racist & being exiled by our peers. He likes being exiled.

I only put the Anons on ignore because I was getting a lot of personal abuse & it was spamming up the threads.

But also in case someone wanted a real chat, so they'd know to use a registered account or a name I know & like.

This is an example of being economical with the truth.

She put users on ignore only to continually reply to them. She then said she doesn't reply to comments she posts to comments.

She has been spamming up thread after thread with gossip, lies & baseless accusations.

The "I told them to stop" should tell people all they need to know about Nerak's tone and behaviour.

Whatever will fan-boy Morrissey make of Stephen Yaxley-Lennon and Catherine Blaiklock’s new, populist, free speech initiative, Alliance?

Morrissey has, in the past, directly expressed his sympathy for Yaxley-Lennon “It’s very obvious that Labour or the Tories do not believe in free speech … I mean, look at the shocking treatment of Tommy Robinson.”

Morrissey has indirectly praised Blaiklock, the founder of the Brexit Party, when he cooed over the leader of that party, one Nigel Farage who he claimed “…..would make a good Prime Minister”

At the Alliance launch familiar topics are to be raised:
  • Islamisation of our culture
  • the LGBT agenda sexualising our young children
These are not only alt-right tropes to be raised but are topics consistently peddled in this forum.

To add credibility to the event Carl Benjamin will speak. This is the man who tweeted to Jess Philips “I wouldn’t even rape you.” Followed by “There’s been an awful lot of talk about whether I would or wouldn’t rape Jess Phillips. I suppose with enough pressure I might cave, but let’s be honest nobody’s got that much beer.”

Given Morrissey’s recent apologist comments, for the now convicted Weinstein, one wonders if he’ll be in the front row, nodding sagely, when Benjamin speaks the ‘truth’ about sexual violence.

This is Morrissey’s World. A world were people can be attacked:
  • for being who they are
  • for believing in what they believe
  • and for practicing the faith of their choice
His voluble support for Yaxley-Lennon, the Brexit Party, For Britain is testament to this.

Alliance has stated “We want to reclaim freedom of speech.” But it would seem it only wants to reclaim ‘freedom of speech’ that supports its myopic world view. Sound familiar?

Is it a Severed Alliance?

Morrissey got ahead of the curve because the rest of us were too worried about being called racist & being exiled by our peers. He likes being exiled.

I thought the most stupid thing uttered by Nerak was "I love the gay agenda" but it's been eclipsed by this naive nonsense.

I mentioned his speech on the NME thread.

It's about time we talked about exactly how our liberal, secular, multicultural societies are going to function when we have clashing wants & values.

It's not about attacking Islam as a faith or Muslims as a group - it's about practical organisation.

Morrissey got ahead of the curve

Twas ever thus.

Twas ever thus.

'ahead of the curve' and in dubious company:

Donald Trump
Steve Bannon
Marine le Pen
Katie Hopkins
Stephen Yaxley-Lennon
Nigel Farage
Anne Marie Waters
Milo Yiannopoulos

.... to name but a few

'ahead of the curve' and in dubious company:

Donald Trump
Steve Bannon
Marine le Pen
Katie Hopkins
Stephen Yaxley-Lennon
Nigel Farage
Anne Marie Waters
Milo Yiannopoulos

.... to name but a few

You forgot Demis Roussos

Twas ever thus.

The man's a Cassandra. I thought he'd lost his mind, but in his own strange way he's been right about everything.

History will be kind.

And anyone who likes him, but is shunning him because of his views, is wasting their time. He's not going to be alive forever. May as well enjoy him, in all his messiness, while we have him.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom