"Bigmouth strikes again and again: why Morrissey fans feel so betrayed" by Tim Jonze - The Guardian

Another hatchet job in The Guardian

Bigmouth strikes again and again: why Morrissey fans feel so betrayed - The Guardian
By Tim Jonze

Once his songs of loneliness and shyness made him a hero to misfits and outsiders. Yet now he is voicing his support for a far-right party

Morrissey response:
Media coverage:

Last edited by a moderator:
See, my personal perspective is that what I would or wouldn't do doesn't have any bearing on the facts of someone having been molested and therefore I wouldn't speak on it particularly if I didn't know the facts of the case.

Yes! :thumb:

But in an interview situation? maybe he should have said ‘next question please’ and moved on without answering. Haven’t listened to the audio since it was released, but he does sound jet lagged, overly relaxed or something. Not an excuse for him, just saying.

My problem with the Kevin Spacey thing is that the incident was so old. Crucifying someone for something they did 30 years ago just does not sit well with me. I was a completely different person 30 years ago. Most people were. It would be one thing if there were a trail of accusers going back 30 years. But if someone has a relatively clean record since then, I'm not too worried.
I don't like the idea of a society where if you make one mistake, you have to live the rest of your life in fear.

Well it is true that Spacey is a homosexual deviant and while i didn't link the two but since you did, homosexuality and child molestation do have more cross over than people like to admit but i digress...

You'll do anything for a rise:rolleyes:

You can doubt my sincerity but it has nothing to do with the facts. You ignore the facts and continue your repetition.

Do you people really want to advocate child rape just so you can act like Morrissey doesn't say the first thing that comes to mind when he wants to get headlines?

I don’t think Morrissey in this case was thinking... I’ll say this just for the sake of a headline. Though playing the game
for so many years, he certainly has I’m sure said many things just to get a rise,
which is one of the reasons why journalists loved him (and still do) so much so that even the NME was once referred to as the New Morrissey Express.

Yes! :thumb:

But in an interview situation? maybe he should have said ‘next question please’ and moved on without answering. Haven’t listened to the audio since it was released, but he does sound jet lagged, overly relaxed or something. Not an excuse for him, just saying.
He says things to get headlines. And it's not, as Uncleskinny is convinced, to make money or sell records because a lot of times it has the opposite effect. If he wanted to make money The Smiths would be U2. I think he can't help himself.
But in this case he really should have kept the topic on the new record and so on.

homosexuality and child molestation do have more cross over than people like to admit but i digress...

A lot of gay men's first sexual experience is with someone much older for the simple reason that no one their own age is out of the closet yet. Their gay neighbor or whoever might be the only gay person they know so it's either that guy or nothing. 16 and 17 year old boys are probably not being "molested" in the classic "Here's a lollipop, now don't tell mom" sense. At that age, they are probably having consensual sex. But legally that still counts as child molestation (and should IMO).

‘It’s so easy to laugh / It’s so easy to hate / It takes guts to be gentle and kind.’
Same lyrics could be applied to this article you wrote, and yourself Tim Jonze.
Learn to separate the art from politics.

This article is spot on. I was a Morrissey fan, and in a very committed, long standing way. Disappointed is certainly a word I would use to describe my feelings towards Morrissey now, but I would understand why some feel betrayed. We’ve been had. He has finally nailed his colours to the mast, and this has unraveled past statements and comments he has made that previously we had defended him on, and given him the benefit of the doubt about. Therein lies a huge betrayal.

Morrissey has taken his fans for fools. The only ones who remain, are open all out Racists, closet Racists, and those who couldn’t care less about Racism. If you cared about the world, you’d see it.

What a tiny world you live in, in your mind it's the staying fans that are brainwashed. really they see it for what it is and don't care. You are brainwashed by the press and you look a prick kid.
You can always listen to Gene, their singer likes to be seen as a true lefty- it doesn't matter he uses women for money, he just left his 3 year old child to marry one of LA's worst, most pathetic and shallow Morrissey fans - April Richardson. She is so crass. Just look at her IG account, its obvious she is only with him cause he was in a Brit pop band.
So hey you can like someone like that, cause they are on the left.

When in the Smiths Moz was against America's influence on the UK, that was ok . He wanted Thatcher dead, that was ok . He even liked peado killers like the Krays, that was ok .
but hey now he wants to be apart from the EU and have tighter controls on immigration he is "scum" . He is still anti war, he is still anti royals , he is still pro animal rights, he is still pro gender freedoms. He is still against bullying .
So not "extreme right wing"
Moz has done a great job in showing the press to be the crazed cruel shits they are .
The only things that are letting him down are his amateur PR via his nephew and the awful Fiona interviews .

It is surely time to get rid of Skinny, I mean come on post after post of hatred. A record is announced with in seconds skinny posts shit . Its not healthy to keep this going .

He said, at the start of that particular topic, "From what I understand...". The whole interview comes across like a casual conversation. Almost like he was just thinking out loud. You know, like what we do on here and in our daily lives. You mustn't do that when your famous though. f*** no! They will vilify you. As we've seen...

Have a listen to the audio Ket. Someone posted it in this thread a page or two back. Morrissey's tone is one of friendly chit-chat. He wasn't making statements, just chatting.

Agree, though now he refuses to do real interviews, trusting no one, maybe not even himself.

Though, these are strange and desperate times ...

where people’s livelihoods are on the line online.

Scandal = clickbait, is the goal.

Or is Morrissey just the newly appointed boogeyman for 2019? an easy target that’s hip to hate?

anything for a little publicity.

:cool:

Simplest answer i see here. No need to debate further...

He said, at the start of that particular topic, "From what I understand...". The whole interview comes across like a casual conversation. Almost like he was just thinking out loud. You know, like what we do on here and in our daily lives. You mustn't do that when your famous though. f*** no! They will vilify you. As we've seen...

Have a listen to the audio Ket. Someone posted it in this thread a page or two back. Morrissey's tone is one of friendly chit-chat. He wasn't making statements, just chatting.

Back
Top Bottom