Best Morrissey Song Ever, Semi-Final 1, Early Moz (1988-1991)

Best early-period Morrissey song (1988-1991)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Johan de Witt

!!! YOU HAVE 5 VOTES!!!

So in 14 rounds we've narrowed 159 Moz-songs down to 45 semi-finalists.

We will have 3 semi-finals: early-period Moz, mid-period Moz and late-period Moz.

The top 5 of each period will go through to the final, which will comprise of the best 15 Moz songs.

It would be cruel to let you pick only one of each period, so let's say we all pick 5.

So your top-5 early Morrissey songs, please!

Last edited:
1. Every day is like Sunday (which I think is a strong candidate for the "best song ever")
2. Hairdresser on fire
3. Sister I'm a Poet
4. Last of the Famous International Playboys

Was tempted to vote sing your life, but after long considerations voted
5. Driving your girlfriend home, as I was just listening to it yesterday, after not hearing it for a while and the Linder/Moz duet was beautiful.

Voted for Alsatian Cousin / Late Night, Maudlin Street / Suedehead / Everyday Is Like Sunday / The Last Of The Famous International Playboys.

Actually, not so hard to chose as I thought, strange.

November Spawned A Monster
Sing Your Life
Sister I'm A Poet
Suedehead
I've Changed My Plea To Guilty

(uh... I'm not sure I understand... how do I get my five votes registered in the chart? It only lets me vote once...)

Last edited:
Late Night, Maudlin Street
Suedehead
Everyday Is Like Sunday
Hairdresser On Fire

Not very hard, no.

Alsatian Cousin
Everyday is like Sunday
My Love Life
Sing Your Life

Would have preferred to only pick one, really.

Alsatian Cousin
Everyday Is Like Sunday
Sister, I'm A Poet
Suedehead

Playboys and Hairdresser were close. Pretty easy. But I guess that's to make up for the fact that the final round is going to be the hardest decision ever. There's only going to be one winner there.

Sing Your Life
Sister I'm A Poet
Suedehead
I've Changed My Plea To Guilty

(uh... I'm not sure I understand... how do I get my five votes registered in the chart? It only lets me vote once...)
you should have checked 5 boxes and then voted.

Suedehead
Alsatian Cousin
Everyday is Like Sunday

I was sure about the first 4; but I was tempted to vote for either Driving Your Girlfriend Home or Interesting Drug because I'm personally more fond of them than Everyday Is Like Sunday (maybe it's because I've never lived in a small, boring coastal town... although I've spent some holidays in some such places, so I know that even a week there is almost unbearable) and besides, I know it will get many votes anyway. But in the end I decided to vote for the objectively better song, and Everyday Is Like Sunday and The Last of The Famous International Playboys are objectively better than DYGH or ID (the latter hasn't got a great melody).

Sister, I'm A Poet
The Last Of The Famous International Playboys
Will Never Marry

My Love Life
Every Day Is Like Sunday

The first three are the real stand-outs for me :)

NOVEMBER SPAWNED A MONSTER
WILL NEVER MARRY
HAIRDRESSER ON FIRE
ALSATIAN COUSIN
THE LAST OF THE FAMOUS....

But I left out EILS because it will go through anyway :)

November Spawned a Monster
Suedehead
The Last of the Famous International Playboys
Interesting Drug

1. Every day is like Sunday (which I think is a strong candidate for the "best song ever")

Yes, I thought so before I started these polls, and still think it is going to win. I'm sure a lot of people didn't vote for it here, because they felt it would go through anyway. Two of it's b-side actually are close to making the final 15, too...

I think the only ones that are going to challenge EILS in the final are possibly Now My Heart Is Full, Trouble Loves Me or Pigsty.
With some of the winners of the other rounds as dark horses: Seasick, Jack The Ripper...

How we all love the Moz-ballad :)

Surprised to see Late Night with three times as many votes as I've Changed My Plea. Both ballads are amazing, but I prefer the latter. Love the drama of it.

Check out this video.. Never could figure out who was on guitar. Anybody know?

Alsatian Cousin
Hairdresser On Fire
Sing Your Life
Suedehead

This was a little difficult, I'm surprised Sing Your Life doesn't have many more votes.

Back
Top Bottom