Best Morrissey Song Ever, Final!

The Best Morrissey Song Ever (Ever...)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's great that "Life is a pigsty" is the youngest song and still is on spot number two!

I'm pleased "Pigsty" got the second. It proves that Morrissey's consistancy and our good taste.

We should have a series of polls again when the new album's out in next few years.

Thanks again Johan.:)

I voted
Hairdresser ( sad it doensn't get more votes)
Now my heart is full
Trouble loves me (made me cry in Amsterdam)

Trouble Loves Me shits on the rest

It's great that "Life is a pigsty" is the youngest song and still is on spot number two!

I agree. It was always obvious what was going to win, but I'm pleased as punch a brand new song is #2. It shows that what he's churning out is still quality stuff, and is even trouncing stuff he released straight after The Smiths died.

And to be honest, I think Pigsty might be my #1 Morrissey solo song ever. It's amazing :)

I'm not sure about FOTGTD placing above Hairdresser on Fire (both good songs, but Hairdresser is the better of the two), but apart from that I think the results turned out to be excellent. :D

No offense, but this poll is irrelevant if not everyone's favorite Morrissey song is on that list.

You have a point. Of course there are songs that for other fans mean a lot more but didn't make it. But I wouldn't say it's completely irrelevant. It does show the brilliance of some songs.

Funny thing is my 3 favorite songs are on that list. I'd just like to point out that not everyone would agree that the 3 best are on the list.

No offense, but this poll is irrelevant if not everyone's favorite Morrissey song is on that list.

True, but it's been fun and its interesting. Only half the songs in the final would be on my "Best of...", and I'm sure that applies to most people. We all have different taste in music, and different taste in Morrissey's music. It's still interesting to see what result averaging out the majority gets you. But like davidt says on the front page, "If you're using these numbers to do anything important, you're insane!"

I think we can all agree all people are different and we all hear things differently. My top 10 wouldn't include anymore than 5 of these songs. Some people might make this entire list their greatest hits. Everyone's opinions matter mostly to themselves so lets all leave it at that.

So, on to the next poll!

LOL!!! I've just put my choices up!! My parents always used to do that! 'You must vote, women died so you could vote!' 'I'm not telling you how I voted, it's a secret ballet, that's the whole point!' The huge Labour Party poster in the window tended to give it away though............

It's not really a secret vote, before you vote on any poll if you click on 'View Poll Results' you can actually see who vote for what etc.

It would be interesting to see who composed the top 15 songs. Johan?

Good point!
Whyte wins, of course :)

Whyte: 6
Street: 5
Boorer: 3 (3 of the top 6, mind)
Cobrin: 1

1) Everyday Is Like Sunday (Moz/Street)
2) Life Is A Pigsty (Moz/Whyte)
3) Now My Heart Is Full (Moz/Boorer)
4) Trouble Loves me (Moz/Whyte)
5) Jack The Ripper (Moz/Boorer)
6) Speedway (Moz/Boorer)
7) Suedehead (Moz/Street)
8) Late Night, Maudlin St (Moz/Street)
9) Why Don’t You Find Out For Yourself (Moz/Whyte)
10) The Last Of The Famous International Playboys (Moz/Street)
11) First of The Gang To Die (Moz/Whyte)
12) The National Front Disco (Moz/Whyte)
13) Hairdresser On Fire (Moz/Street)
14) I Have Forgiven Jesus (Moz/Whyte)
15) Lost (Moz/Cobrin)

Good point!

6) Speedway (Moz/Boorer)
15) Lost (Moz/Cobrin)

If you were voting on the musical score alone thought then I'd argue that most of the songs we'd be voting on would be completely different.

For example, would we really be voting songs like Jack the Ripper and Maudlin Street on musical grounds? The lyrics on Maudlin Street and Moz's melodies on Jack the Ripper are what make those songs rather than the musical backing. Just a thought!

Good point!

6) Speedway (Moz/Boorer)
15) Lost (Moz/Cobrin)

Thanks as always friend! Nice to see a Cobrin song as well, seems like everone has got their piece of the cake (except Jesse...).

If you were voting on the musical score alone thought then I'd argue that most of the songs we'd be voting on would be completely different.

For example, would we really be voting songs like Jack the Ripper and Maudlin Street on musical grounds? The lyrics on Maudlin Street and Moz's melodies on Jack the Ripper are what make those songs rather than the musical backing. Just a thought!

Hmm, actually I would vote for "Jack The Ripper" as an instrumental, it's one of his most fresh songs, very good combined with "Vauxhall & I". But in "Late Night Maudlin Street" it's the epic lyrics that makes the song, I really love it.

How on earth did "Lost" make the final? The Never Played Symphonies, IBEH, Come Back To Camden, YHKM etc are all much better, surely?! :confused:

I never understood the liking for Lost. It's lyrics are really cliche and whingey. I think the only fans that like it are the ones who are convinced that Morrissey is permanently depressed and he "feels their pain". The sort of fans who think Girlfriend in a Coma is a really sad song.

I agree, Lost is extremely mellow. But the thing that struck me about it, were these lines:
"If I see you
And I tell you
How I've watched you
Don't make fun of me later
Cause I'm just Lost "
That described perfectly every feeling I had when I'm in love, and doing stupid things.

I think there a lot who think Morrissey is permanently depressed, and I wouldn't say that it's a bad thing. I personally think Girlfriend in a coma is a sad song too (the lyrics) but the melody are really uplifting. It depends, I guess.

And there isn't a single song in this Final Round that I find not good enough to make it till here. Well...gustibus et coloribus...

Back
Top Bottom