Back On The Chain Gang - Morrissey Central; Recorded in LA, musicians credited, Chiccarelli produced

Solomon Walker playing bass on BOTCG
And Roger Manning on keyboards...

Back On The Chain Gang - Morrissey Central
April 2, 2018

42719_back_on_the_chain_gang.png

Morrissey has concluded recording at Sunset Sound in Los Angeles for Back On The Chain Gang. The song was written by Chrissie Hynde and was released by The Pretenders in 1982 when it reached number 17 in the UK, and number 5 in the USA.Joe Chiccarelli has produced Morrissey’s Back On The Chain Gang, and the musicians are: Jesse Tobias (guitars), Solomon Walker (bass), Matthew Walker (drums), with Roger Manning on keyboards.Morrissey is hoping for a summer release for the single.
Morrissey is presently number 1 with My Love, I’d Do Anything For You, and number 4 with Jacky’s Only Happy When She’s Up On The Stage in the UK vinyl singles chart.

Posted by Famous when dead:

Source appears to be an uncredited war time picture:

42720_back_on_the_chain_gang_original.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So is this the first cover he’s recording properly in studio as an A-side since Interlude? Or were there more recent ones that I’m forgetting?

There was also “ No one can hold a candle to you”

No sure there are any others

There was also “ No one can hold a candle to you”

No sure there are any others

How technically speaking will you like to get? "There is a light that never goes out (live)" is consider a cover song single. It might technically stretching it.

Well take a bloody look at it for a start! :lbf:

But more specifically, does it contain any of the elements that have been part of Morrissey's artwork on recent singles? And how often do you hear of artwork being fully completed and signed off on when there is no release date and recording has only just taken place?

It is a picture with some factual information on it. That is all.

yunno, i would've sworn this could have been a left over from the YOR session, seeing as the musicians nearly line up. But no, the Solomon Walker mystery continues to linger on.

I prefer the story about him getting the boot for being caught eating a burger.

Well take a bloody look at it for a start! :lbf:

But more specifically, does it contain any of the elements that have been part of Morrissey's artwork on recent singles? And how often do you hear of artwork being fully completed and signed off on when there is no release date and recording has only just taken place?

It is a picture with some factual information on it. That is all.
Yes.
  • Stock b/w image of people from byegone era, depicting an event or aspect of social history, bled to edges
  • Loose (but poor) approximation of recently-used font
  • 45rpm to denote vinyl speed

Who said anything about it being signed off? Actually I'm guessing this is Sam's first attempt, thinking he was capturing the spirit of recent others. But for my money, if he grasped how bad it was he wouldn't have put it out there in the first place.

To be fair, he's not helping himself.
The image is presented with 3 others - 2 of actual singles - a third one of a 'maybe' single (which challenges the signed off/release date logic). Also, he has shared a mock-up gig poster that was ultimately real - which should inspire at least the thought: 'maybe'. Similarly, appearing over April 1st wasn't exactly a masterstroke. Copyright symbols on other people's work is a dick move too - the Kubrick estate will have a seizure
A simple 'mock-up' in the tag would have fixed all this.
Regards,
FWD.

Off the top of my head re: studio recordings

Skinstorm- Bradford.
East West- Hermans hermits
Interlude - timi yuro
That's Entertainment - The Jam
No-one Can Hold A Candle to You- Raymonde

Golden Shites - Twinkle (Smiths)
Work is a Four Letter Word - Cilla White (Smiths)

Yes.
  • Stock b/w image of people from byegone era, depicting an event or aspect of social history, bled to edges
  • Loose (but poor) approximation of recently-used font
  • 45rpm to denote vinyl speed

Who said anything about it being signed off? Actually I'm guessing this is Sam's first attempt, thinking he was capturing the spirit of recent others. But for my money, if he grasped how bad it was he wouldn't have put it out there in the first place.

The fact that it doesn't actually say 45rpm speaks volumes. And the font, as you say, is different.

So we are left with an old photograph. I can completely believe that this may or may not be used on the single, but the end result will obviously not look exactly like this so therefore it is not the sleeve.

The question was about cover versions he has recorded in the studio.

I think this pretenders is only the 3rd cover version he’s ever recorded in a studio.

East West
Skin Storm
That's Entertainment
Moon River
Interlude
No-one Can Hold a Candle to You
Human Being
A Song From Under the Floorboards

Ah, yes, that was the other version I heard. Which is probably understandable, to be fair.

Matt Walker ! Punching Jesse in the face! My hero!
Seriously best rythm section for Moz! Probably that brothers thing!
What about the campaign " We want Kristopher Pooley back"

Bringing Alain back is just a dream

At least Moz is taking the right decisions

1.He got rid off Mando the disaster.Naff ideas , awful compositions , crap look and ugly son for an ugly CD cover.

2. The Walker twins are the best bass / drums section he had .

3. Boz seems fed up and dry in his compositions.

But Morrissey Central seems fake news
Really not clever, calling a child ugly. Slag the others off as much as you think fit, but leave the kid alone - it's just nasty and unnecessary.

Tags
back on the chain gang single

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom