What or who is keeping The Smiths apart?

mozarr

Forgiving Jesus
As we all know, there's been lots of talk over the years of people wanting a Smiths reunion, etc. What or who is keeping it from happening? I don't know all the ins and outs of the story - it seems like more of a personal thing than a money thing?

Are any of The Smiths members civil to eachother nowadays?

Just curious because like The Police, Sting was keeping them from reuniting. I'm assuming it's a little more complicated with The Smiths' story.

I highly doubt any of them want to get back together with one another. Morrissey and Marr are successful by themselves, and I don't believe either are on good terms with Mike Joyce.

I actually don't want the Smiths to come back together. They're done, they've been done. I wouldn't want them to deminish what they did have, which was something really beautiful and brilliant. To go back would just ruin it.

I actually don't want the Smiths to come back together. They're done, they've been done. I wouldn't want them to deminish what they did have, which was something really beautiful and brilliant. To go back would just ruin it.

It's not like Marr And Morrissey haven't talked since the split...on the contrary, I'm sure they're both quite happy doing what they're doing...

And we'll never know what might have happened after Strangeways...they might have done a covers album next and fallen off the face of the earth....

It's like James Dean...because he died at the begininng AND peak of his career everyone holds him in such high esteem...had he lived the rest of his career might have been an utter failure, the thing is we don't know..and we'll never know..and the mystique is what keeps it sacred...

The Smiths were on top of the world for 4 years...and then it was over..we'll never know what might have or have not been

I thought maybe it has something to do with Morrissey not wanting Mike Joyce to make more money off of a reunion. I mean, even if they replaced him - he'd still make money from them performing Smiths songs, is that right? Shees, I'm sure it's way more complicated than that, but it's just a speculation.

I thought maybe it has something to do with Morrissey not wanting Mike Joyce to make more money off of a reunion. I mean, even if they replaced him - he'd still make money from them performing Smiths songs, is that right? Shees, I'm sure it's way more complicated than that, but it's just a speculation.

Joyce didn't WRITE any of The Smiths songs, so if Morrissey, Marr and 2 Drunk Monkeys got up on stage and played them...Joyce gets no money because he took no part in the writing OR Recording....

Did you think Joyce gets royalties whenever Morrissey plays a Smiths song? I think not...only Johnny and Morrissey cause they wrote'em

It's not like Marr And Morrissey haven't talked since the split...on the contrary, I'm sure they're both quite happy doing what they're doing...

And we'll never know what might have happened after Strangeways...they might have done a covers album next and fallen off the face of the earth....

It's like James Dean...because he died at the begininng AND peak of his career everyone holds him in such high esteem...had he lived the rest of his career might have been an utter failure, the thing is we don't know..and we'll never know..and the mystique is what keeps it sacred...

The Smiths were on top of the world for 4 years...and then it was over..we'll never know what might have or have not been

They haven't talked since the "split" . They've said it in interviews. Didn't you get the memo? Get with it.

And Morrissey is too damn proud to let f***ing idiot Mike Joyce ever on stage with him again, specially after the court mess. Actually to paraphrase MOZ on the Reunion: ' Why should I give them attention they don't deserve? They haven't earned it. I've worked very hard to be where I'm at'

Also, Morrissey didn't want Marr to leave the band. so its not a matter of wether they wanted to keep going solid gold or not, Morrissey didn't care wether the band scored another number 1 hit, he just liked the band he had. I think his solo career is a reflection of that, he just loves to sing.

They haven't talked since the "split" . They've said it in interviews. Didn't you get the memo? Get with it.

And Morrissey is too damn proud to let f***ing idiot Mike Joyce ever on stage with him again, specially after the court mess. Actually to paraphrase MOZ on the Reunion: ' Why should I give them attention they don't deserve? They haven't earned it. I've worked very hard to be where I'm at'

Also, Morrissey didn't want Marr to leave the band. so its not a matter of wether they wanted to keep going solid gold or not, Morrissey didn't care wether the band scored another number 1 hit, he just liked the band he had. I think his solo career is a reflection of that, he just loves to sing.

Well they have exchanged pleasantries (I didn't mean the two of them had sat down for tea and crumpets!!!)...I mean you don't think in the whole time the court case was going on they didn't once say hello to each other?

My POINT about The Smiths "Going out on Top"..was not a matter of whether anyone WANTED That to happen..the fact is that's WHAT HAPPENED....that's why we can all old The Smiths in such high esteem is becuase they produced such great music in such a short span of time that most bands don't even come close to matching...

Do you think I'm a $#%@$#$# Novice and I don't know anything about The Smiths?? Of course I know Morrissey didn't WANT Marr to leave or whether He CARED about The success of The Smiths..my POINT was the fact that they DID...whether or not anyone INTENDED For that to happen...It's just What HAPPENED...

Geez, did you have to come across so snippy and snide?

Well they have exchanged pleasantries (I didn't mean the two of them had sat down for tea and crumpets!!!)...I mean you don't think in the whole time the court case was going on they didn't once say hello to each other?

My POINT about The Smiths "Going out on Top"..was not a matter of whether anyone WANTED That to happen..the fact is that's WHAT HAPPENED....that's why we can all old The Smiths in such high esteem is becuase they produced such great music in such a short span of time that most bands don't even come close to matching...

Do you think I'm a $#%@$#$# Novice and I don't know anything about The Smiths?? Of course I know Morrissey didn't WANT Marr to leave or whether He CARED about The success of The Smiths..my POINT was the fact that they DID...whether or not anyone INTENDED For that to happen...It's just What HAPPENED...

Geez, did you have to come across so snippy and snide?

What does all this have to do with what I said though ? LOL you're the one that quoted me first. All you're doing is recycling facts that we all know happened. What exactly is your point on why the Smiths won't get back together darling? Speak up.

Joyce didn't WRITE any of The Smiths songs, so if Morrissey, Marr and 2 Drunk Monkeys got up on stage and played them...Joyce gets no money because he took no part in the writing OR Recording....

Did you think Joyce gets royalties whenever Morrissey plays a Smiths song? I think not...only Johnny and Morrissey cause they wrote'em

read this if you like.

http://true-to-you.net/morrissey_news_051130_01

Your Arsenal, I think you hit a nerve.

Good job!

A poll that I ran on here a couple of weeks ago showed that even us, the fans, don't even want a Smiths reunion. Only about 20% of us wanted it compared with around 40% who would like a Morrissey/Marr reunion instead.

In terms of the Smiths and how they currently feel towards each other. Marr and Moz are on ok-ish terms but only really communicate over business issues. Rourke and Joyce are pretty matey and do quite a lot of stuff together. Marr and Rourke (old school friends) patched things up fairly recently and played together at last year's Manchester Cancer thing.
We all know Morrissey's attitude towards Mike Joyce. Less well publicised is that Marr dislikes Joyce almost as strongly and refused his request to join Marr and Rourke at the Manchester show.Moz and Rourke aren’t friends but Moz doesn’t have any major issues with Rourke. They’ve always seemed like two people with very little in common. Rourke makes the odd snide comment about Moz most recently in the Radio 2 documentary ‘Salford Lad’. So, there you have it!

As we all know, there's been lots of talk over the years of people wanting a Smiths reunion, etc. What or who is keeping it from happening? I don't know all the ins and outs of the story - it seems like more of a personal thing than a money thing?

Are any of The Smiths members civil to eachother nowadays?

Just curious because like The Police, Sting was keeping them from reuniting. I'm assuming it's a little more complicated with The Smiths' story.

It's interesting that you bring up the example of The Police. For over 20 years, Sting was really negative on the idea of a reunion, saying he's not a nostalgic person, saw no reason to go backwards in his career, etc. etc. But then his last two albums ... I don't want to say "tanked" but let's say experienced dramatically lower sales, and not as many people were coming to his concerts. Suddenly, the idea of a lucrative Police reunion playing arenas around the world for about $135 per ticket and up got very appealing.

I'm not sure if the same is true (on a smaller scale of course - they were never a stadium band) for The Smiths: both Johnny and Morrissey have experienced career slumps, but it hasn't seemed to tempt them to come back together.

I would not go around trying to analyze it but Morrissey is free to do what he likes being solo and he has been doing it for so long. WHy would he want to give that up. The Smiths is just a thing of the past and that is it.

A poll that I ran on here a couple of weeks ago showed that even us, the fans, don't even want a Smiths reunion. Only about 20% of us wanted it compared with around 40% who would like a Morrissey/Marr reunion instead.

Yes. Not getting back together would be as great and perfect as anything The Smiths did while they were intact. Every year that passes makes a Smiths reunion one order of magnitude more heinous. The fact that The Police are mentioned is wonderful because it brings us full circle to one of my favorite Morrissey quotes from '84: "We were asked to support The Police. How could we support The Police? We are far more important than The Police". Indeed, the Police reforming is just another sign that a reunion of any kind-- as "The Smiths" or "Morrissey and Marr"-- is the wrong thing to do.

Back
Top Bottom