The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 106: LITTLE MAN, WHAT NOW?

How do you rate Little Man, What Now?

• Total voters
I didn't live in Chicago back then - I was in California (my home state). I moved to Chicago in 2004, just in time for the Quarry shows. I saw him in Berkeley, CA during 2002.

Oh, that's right...how quickly I forgot your whereabouts. You sure know where to be and when :D Lucky gal! I would have LURVED to see that tour. Nice new avatar, too =o)

Compared to the latest RnB single, this song is a 10. However, that's not the scale here.

ok I get your point, but that's how most people vote

i was a bit irritated with the short 1 word comment, and I've read that
same ritual a few times more, so maybe you can comment what's
lacking on that particualr song cq why its boring

my apologies if you felt attacked

ok I get your point, but that's how most people vote

i was a bit irritated with the short 1 word comment, and I've read that
same ritual a few times more, so maybe you can comment what's
lacking on that particualr song cq why its boring

my apologies if you felt attacked

Fair enough, I shall refrain from short comments (unless positive!).

Little Man's a great song. as others have mentioned, it's perfectly placed between Alsatian and Everyday. it's a nice strummy thing with evocative, empathic lyrics.
Viva Hate is easily the best solo album. it's got great choons, imaginative arrangements, some of Morrissey's best ever lyrics. it was written before the era of bad reviews (from Ouija Board onwards), getting sued by his former band mates, and being caught up in the racism furore etc.
these things all had an undeniably profound (and largely negative) impact on the man. Viva Hate harks back to a time when things were relatively pure and straightforward. great music, poetic lyrics, and some of the most imaginative arrangements of his entire singing career (the bass line to Alsatian was taken from 'White Lines; Don't Do It'!).

Some people don't understand. This song is a brilliant portrayal. It's not about the former child star, it's about being an obsessive fan or at least having a strong and sort of silly attachment to someone you've never met, and imagining their life, as if you actually knew them. Goes well with Paint A Vulgar Picture.

Celibate, this is a good example.

Per Houdini's scale, a 7 should be a "Good Moz/Smiths song".

This poster has clearly stated he finds the music average with annoying drumming. By this standard, he should have voted 5 or 6.

Compared to the latest RnB single, this song is a 10. However, that's not the scale here.

ahem, this poster (myself) didn't clearly state that the music was average. Maybe before being so pedantic you should learn how to examine and read properly. I stated that it was an “average track” and I then went on to discuss one of it’s weaknesses. However I did not go on to discuss the strong points of the track (guitar, vocals and some lyrics) which would move it into the lower degree of a seven in my eyes and estimation of the ranking system.

Thanks though for assuming that I don’t have the intelligence to do this and in the near future I will be sure send you a critique of each Morrissey/ Smiths song and then you can deem what ranking I should give it.

ahem, this poster (myself) didn't clearly state that the music was average. Maybe before being so pedantic you should learn how to examine and read properly. I stated that it was an “average track” and I then went on to discuss one of it’s weaknesses. However I did not go on to discuss the strong points of the track (guitar, vocals and some lyrics) which would move it into the lower degree of a seven in my eyes and estimation of the ranking system.

Thanks though for assuming that I don’t have the intelligence to do this and in the near future I will be sure send you a critique of each Morrissey/ Smiths song and then you can deem what ranking I should give it.

Oh right.. dreadfully sorry... Even though you stated it was an "average track", you clearly meant that it was "good Moz/Smiths single". How silly of me indeed.

Clearly worthy of a 7 then.

I've been thinking about this piece for the past couple of days, since it went up for voting. The thing I keep coming back to is the timing- at this point in his career, Morrissey had no idea whether he, too, would end up "on the back page of a fffaded annual," or whether he would survive. That makes it more powerful to me. Aside from that, it's a well crafted little piece, very evocative, very empathetic. I love it. I love the quirky little stories he tells. Not his very most powerful, but a nicely drawn little sketch all the same.

Back
Top Bottom