The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 207: UNHAPPY BIRTHDAY

How do you rate Unhappy Birthday?

• Total voters
It's alright. A 6, maybe a 7. Haven't quite decided yet.

I think Johnny Marr said in Songs That Save Your Life that he was really happy with the way the bass and guitar run together, and was a bit disappointed when he heard Morrissey's lyrics.

They're a bit trashy. Could have been better but then if Moz is in the mood for some whimsy, who's to argue with him?

I'm unhappy to be on the U's already.
The end is near... :(
morrissey-crying.gif

I'm unhappy to be on the U's already.
The end is near... :(
[

That is why you need to champion my cause that the current poll system is bogus, and we need to re do the poll in a more scientific fashion!:)

I posted earlier:
I guess my frustration with this poll (and actually I hope we re-do the poll) is it really doesn't sort anything out, which is supposed to be the whole point of the poll, i.e. coming up with a Top 100. It is too easy to give everything high marks.

We have bantered about some ideas, but I like the idea of having a ration of grades. For example, if we review 100 songs, we are all given ten 10's, 9's, 8's, 7's, 6's, 5's, 4's, 3's, 2's, 1's. So, when you go to vote on a song you only have so many tens you could give out. It would really force you to decide what songs you absolutely must have and which you could go without. Do you really want to give "Sweetie-Pie" an eight or save it for "Suedehead?"

I'm with Vauxhall95. Let's do it again, sweetie pie :D

p.s. you are not supposed to talk this much to your mistress!!

We have bantered about some ideas, but I like the idea of having a ration of grades. For example, if we review 100 songs, we are all given ten 10's, 9's, 8's, 7's, 6's, 5's, 4's, 3's, 2's, 1's. So, when you go to vote on a song you only have so many tens you could give out. It would really force you to decide what songs you absolutely must have and which you could go without. Do you really want to give "Sweetie-Pie" an eight or save it for "Suedehead?"

No, No, No, No, NO!!!! Doing something like that will drive us Librans INSANE!!! I have trouble enough deciding what to give some songs with the 10 point system we currently have. It's done perfectly the way it is - anything more "scientific" is way too difficult. And I think you'll see, in the end, that the songs that deserve to be up there towards the top will be. "Sweetie Pie" isn't misrepresented when the votes are counted.

Last edited:
No, No, No, No, NO!!!! Doing something like that will drive us Librans INSANE!!! I have trouble enough deciding what to give some songs with the 10 point system we currently have. It's done perfectly the way it is - anything more "scientific" is way too difficult.

Vauxhall95, on second thought, I’m with Comtesse –being a friend, a Virgo (close!!), and another indecisive girl :p I met her first and what we shared was something so special (moments with Moz =o) She doesn't have trouble with her hair, either :D

You should devise some other sort of scientifically unscientific poll.
I’m sorry - I'm fickle and I understand if you want to end it…. I may feel slightly sad, but I won’t cry. :o

That is why you need to champion my cause that the current poll system is bogus, and we need to re do the poll in a more scientific fashion!:)

I posted earlier:
I guess my frustration with this poll (and actually I hope we re-do the poll) is it really doesn't sort anything out, which is supposed to be the whole point of the poll, i.e. coming up with a Top 100. It is too easy to give everything high marks.

Yes, I read your complaint earlier, but I didn't understand you. How does this poll 'not sort anyting out'? Or did you think at the end of all this a top 100 wouldn't be published? Of course it will.

And as to Sweetie Pie and Suedehead both receiving 10s... Well, yes, but it's about the number of 10s surely and about the average rating.
Suedehead received 103 10s, and has a current average score of 9.60, which will mean it will end up in the top-20, Sweetie Pie received 15 10s and has a current average of 5.62, which means it will end up between 200-232, so I don't see how this poll 'doesn't sort anything out'...

And as to your idea to give everyone a limited number of 10s etc, it would force people to give 9s to songs they find perfect and 1s to songs they actually quite like. Now how is that more 'scientific'?

Back
Top Bottom