The first couple in the world to marry at Salford Lads Club - Manchester Evening News

Iconic building will stage couple's big day in May

Excerpt:

Joy Ainsley can't wait to tie the knot with her charming man.

There might even be a vicar in a tutu.

For they will be the first couple in the world to marry at Salford Lads Club since it got a licence to stage weddings.

The red-brick Edwardian building has global iconic status after being used for a photo shoot of The Smiths.

The image, by Stephen Wright is now displayed in the National Portrait Gallery in London.

It was used on the inner-sleeve of The Queen Is Dead album from 1986, and later on T-shirts to raise vital funds for the club.

Joy, 45, and the groom, Dean Baylin, 46, are life-long fans of the band and Morrissey. They even take their teenage children to see Mozza in concert.

At Christmas they each intend to have a Salford Lads Club tattoo.

Joy said: "We can't believe that we can now officially get married at Salford Lads Club. We're lifelong Smiths and Morrissey fans and have seen Morrissey 33 times.

"My fiancé Dean, popped the question outside the club last year and we have visited it numerous times, had tours, and been to the club attending other events.

"We've taken so many photos inside and outside the club, and we've recreated the album photo pose outside with friends, that it feels like a second home.

“The wedding itself will be very much in a Smiths-vintage style and our bridesmaids will be wearing Doc Martens with their hair done in victory rolls and guests will receive Smiths and Salford Lads Club themed wedding favours to keep forever.

"We even have a Manchester band playing -The Lottery Winners - who have just been signed by Warner Records by the legendary A&R, Seymour Stein, who also signed The Smiths and has dubbed them as the best thing he's heard since The Smiths!.

“The band who are huge Smiths fans themselves, will play 'There Is A Light That Never Will Go Out at the ceremony, which is also featured on their current lockdown covers album Sounds of Isolation.”

Built in 1903, and opened the next year by Lord Baden-Powell, the building at the corner of Coronation Street and St Ignatius Walk in Ordsall, has been granted a licence to hold weddings, civil partnerships, civil services and vow renewals.

full

Also:

all the young people must fall in love.
all you need is me.
happy lovers at last united.
kiss me a lot.
congrats to the happy couple.

The least she could have done is also share a photo of her in a bathing suit standing in front of that club in honor of Liz Dwyer’s recent passing. She also should have photoshopped that cuck out of the photo. Replace him with a photo of Moz.

They look like a lovely couple, best wishes and hope the restrictions are lifted by the time of the wedding.

PS Any chance of an invite? Plus one please
Awe thank you. We’ll be lucky to have our nearest and dearest at this rate!

Such lovely comments, thank you everyone. Fingers crossed that Covid doesn’t ruin things.

Morrissey super fans.. Amazing :lbf:
Is the 3rd wheel on the guest list ?

Iconic building will stage couple's big day in May

Excerpt:

Joy Ainsley can't wait to tie the knot with her charming man.

There might even be a vicar in a tutu.

For they will be the first couple in the world to marry at Salford Lads Club since it got a licence to stage weddings.

The red-brick Edwardian building has global iconic status after being used for a photo shoot of The Smiths.

The image, by Stephen Wright is now displayed in the National Portrait Gallery in London.

It was used on the inner-sleeve of The Queen Is Dead album from 1986, and later on T-shirts to raise vital funds for the club.

Joy, 45, and the groom, Dean Baylin, 46, are life-long fans of the band and Morrissey. They even take their teenage children to see Mozza in concert.

At Christmas they each intend to have a Salford Lads Club tattoo.

Joy said: "We can't believe that we can now officially get married at Salford Lads Club. We're lifelong Smiths and Morrissey fans and have seen Morrissey 33 times.

"My fiancé Dean, popped the question outside the club last year and we have visited it numerous times, had tours, and been to the club attending other events.

"We've taken so many photos inside and outside the club, and we've recreated the album photo pose outside with friends, that it feels like a second home.

“The wedding itself will be very much in a Smiths-vintage style and our bridesmaids will be wearing Doc Martens with their hair done in victory rolls and guests will receive Smiths and Salford Lads Club themed wedding favours to keep forever.

"We even have a Manchester band playing -The Lottery Winners - who have just been signed by Warner Records by the legendary A&R, Seymour Stein, who also signed The Smiths and has dubbed them as the best thing he's heard since The Smiths!.

“The band who are huge Smiths fans themselves, will play 'There Is A Light That Never Will Go Out at the ceremony, which is also featured on their current lockdown covers album Sounds of Isolation.”

Built in 1903, and opened the next year by Lord Baden-Powell, the building at the corner of Coronation Street and St Ignatius Walk in Ordsall, has been granted a licence to hold weddings, civil partnerships, civil services and vow renewals.

full

Also:

I don't mean to put a downer on this , because I think it's a wonderful idea. So much so, my wife and I did it 4 Years ago!

The club didn't have a license for us to do the legal bit on site but we GOT MARRIED in the smiths room at Salford Lads Club in 2016.

This is being used by the company promoting the venue as a wedding venue and I support that 100%. The venue is amazing, the staff incredible and the idea of doing something truly personal to you was the best decision we made. The day was a huge success and we were honoured with a "made up" blue plaque at the club. See attached. Not sure if this too has been removed now to fit the narrative.

I am disappointed that our wedding has been downgraded to something less. Something inferior. We were and are VERY proud that we were the first couple to marry at the club. It's just a shame that we are now ignored and overlooked.

FB_IMG_1554145629029_66732.jpg

I don't mean to put a downer on this , because I think it's a wonderful idea. So much so, my wife and I did it 4 Years ago!

The club didn't have a license for us to do the legal bit on site but we GOT MARRIED in the smiths room at Salford Lads Club in 2016.

This is being used by the company promoting the venue as a wedding venue and I support that 100%. The venue is amazing, the staff incredible and the idea of doing something truly personal to you was the best decision we made. The day was a huge success and we were honoured with a "made up" blue plaque at the club. See attached. Not sure if this too has been removed now to fit the narrative.

I am disappointed that our wedding has been downgraded to something less. Something inferior. We were and are VERY proud that we were the first couple to marry at the club. It's just a shame that we are now ignored and overlooked.

View attachment 60262
yeah, i thought the whole thing sounded familiar when i heard it, like "didnt someone already do this?". was this you? if so, ignore my comments in the thread ahahah... (it was the title i took issue with)

yeah, i thought the whole thing sounded familiar when i heard it, like "didnt someone already do this?". was this you? if so, ignore my comments in the thread ahahah... (it was the title i took issue with)

Yes this was us. 4 years ago

like what crawled up my ass and died? holy shit. im not very pleasant am i?
Everyone is entitled to an opinion. We met at a gig, Marion, because I had a smiths shirt on. Our joint love of the smiths made this our perfect wedding venue and it was amazing. Just really gutted to see it totally downgraded

well that's the main thing, innit?

dont worry, i remembered. besides this new couple looks like a pair of dorks if you ask me. it wont last.
We ARE a couple of dorks, thank you :D and who knows if anything will ever last.....

We ARE a couple of dorks, thank you :D and who knows if anything will ever last.....
:o

shit, i need to stop doing that....

im just kidding, you're real cute and look great for your ages! i was only trying to make the other guy feel better....congratulations!! you werent ACTUALLY the first to get married there though, you know, because there was the other guy.

:o

shit, i need to stop doing that....

im just kidding, you're real cute and look great for your ages! i was only trying to make the other guy feel better....congratulations!! you werent ACTUALLY the first to get married there though, you know, because there was the other guy.
Oh dont worry I am not offended, We were just happy to raise the SLC profile. I actually said that to the press officer and they insisted that we will be the first, as the headline says. The last couple did not legally 'get married' there.

Oh dont worry I am not offended, We were just happy to raise the SLC profile. I actually said that to the press officer and they insisted that we will be the first, as the headline says. The last couple did not legally 'get married' there.
well you're both smiths fans, that's the main thing! no nitpicking or you wont enjoy your double date!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom