Southpaw Grammar/Maladjusted reissues

Ahh, I see the morons have descended once more, flailing there arms wildly trying to gain some attention, simply reeking of delusion. I find it rather humorous you question how much I know of Morrissey when you evidently don't have even a simple grasp of what makes lyrics genius. I tried, and tried to explain in previous posts, but as human nature is, as you are, you seem to brush past all of this information, and hideously miss the mark, blaring statements, that are simple generalisations, 'YOR is BAD, YOU dont know Morrisseys lyrics if you thinks so' Blah Blah, and so forth, all resulting in a wonderful case of monotony.
I suggest you take a deep long look and possibly a few sharp breaths at the past arguments and not come rushing in after the argument has been won. Im afraid you're very late with your idiotic snippets that you wish to add, however very humorous I find your pleads of self-righteousness and brainpower. I find it rather appalling that you seem to be stuck in the past, a refusal to accept the Morrissey that now exists. Years of Refusal. But once more read the PAST posts, then try, and I really do mean try, to bring yourself around to constructing an argument with some sense.
Instead of Symbolically yawning in my face. Much appreciated.

LMAO so RIGHT, and so Funny

I'm fine thanks. Like I stated many times, I'm really interested in the Southpaw and Maladjusted remasters, and I think we're going to hear some quality tunes. I don't think I need to apologize to anyone for thinking YOR is a lyrical wasteland. Last I checked, I'm still entitled to an opinion. I love a good debate; however, I really could stand to do without the name calling and insults. Whatever happened to "it's so easy to laugh, so easy to hate, it takes guts to be gentle and kind?"

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, correct - shame the 'idiots' can't keep it to themselves.:rolleyes:

Worm, how is it negative to point out reality? Morrissey is the elder statesmen of indie rock. He could recruit the very best musicians, couldn't he? I firmly believe so. People would knock down doors to work with him, but he chooses to stay with the same old. Why? We are left to speculate on his motives. The fact that he doesn't either means he is in a comfort zone, doesn't care about the music, or it is a matter of ego.

Regardless, I don't buy a Morrissey album to hear music. I buy it for his lyrics. Consequently, YOR is the only album I've ever been disappointed with.

Yes, he could recruit the very best. The best guitarist. The best keyboardist. The best bassist, drummer, and accordion player in the business. Music by...well, some Johnny Marr out there who isn't Johnny Marr. Production by a dream team of Eno, Timbaland and Damon Albarn.

And oh! what a perfectly precious work of art that would be!

YOR is the sound of an artist unafraid to back away from his own past. He isn't demolishing his legacy but he isn't hostage to it, either. I just played the album again, start to finish, and I'm beginning to think it's one of his very best albums, Smiths or solo. His voice is peaking and while the music is merely good it's also the best synergy he's achieved with any of his bandmates, meaning for the first time ever it's finally more than the sum of "words and music". I'm glugging the Kool-Aid, brother. Sorry to be so damn obtuse here, but YOR is genius.

Last edited:
Yes, he could recruit the very best. The best guitarist. The best keyboardist. The best bassist, drummer, and accordion player in the business. Music by...well, some Johnny Marr out there who isn't Johnny Marr. Production by a dream team of Eno, Timbaland and Damon Albarn.

And oh! what a perfectly precious work of art that would be!

YOR is the sound of an artist unafraid to back away from his own past. He isn't demolishing his legacy but he isn't hostage to it, either. I just played the album again, start to finish, and I'm starting to think it's one of his very best albums, Smiths or solo. His voice is peaking and while the music is merely good it's also the best synergy he's achieved with any of his bandmates, meaning for the first time ever it's finally more than the sum of "words and music". I'm glugging the Kool-Aid, brother. Sorry to be so damn obtuse here, but YOR is genius.

You and Infatuation have similar opinions. Both v. pro Moz, and one of you sounds v like Moz the other sounds very pro morrissey just not like morrissey though.

i keep chatting on about it haha, im addicted.

You and Infatuation have similar opinions. Both v. pro Moz, and one of you sounds v like Moz the other sounds very pro morrissey just not like morrissey though.

i keep chatting on about it haha, im addicted.

Well, let me tell you, I was reserved in my praise of ROTT and YATQ but this new album is...ridiculous. Ridiculous that a man nearing fifty would produce something this astonishingly alive.

When I was a teenager The Smiths and Morrissey were the air I breathed. But even then I was afraid of how the music would age. When would it become self-parody? Some said it already had. When would Morrissey's art reveal itself to be as phony as a stage costume, easy to put on, easy to take off? Some said it had already proven so. The only future I could envision was one "Queen Is Dead" after another. Then it was one "Viva Hate" after another. On and on, forever.

That, I knew, was impossible. It would become a joke. But I couldn't figure out what kind of music he would make instead. I couldn't see that far ahead and I didn't know how he could possibly move past his first six or seven years of divine perfection. The last five years have pointed to the answer, and the answer is YOR. And of course-- of course-- it's much more brilliant than I would have thought possible, because like all the great ones Morrissey is several steps ahead.

What a gift to give us.

SuperStock_1444R-257399.jpg

YOR is the sound of an artist unafraid to back away from his own past. He isn't demolishing his legacy but he isn't hostage to it, either. I just played the album again, start to finish, and I'm beginning to think it's one of his very best albums, Smiths or solo. His voice is peaking and while the music is merely good it's also the best synergy he's achieved with any of his bandmates, meaning for the first time ever it's finally more than the sum of "words and music". I'm glugging the Kool-Aid, brother. Sorry to be so damn obtuse here, but YOR is genius.

I agree with the bolded quote above. He is very much moving in a new direction. I also agree that he sounds great with his bandmates. I've never disputed any of this. I've written countless times YOR is a very accessible pop record.

I've also come to realize the futility of trying to argue the merits of this album in this forum. Ultimately, what I've found so disappointing is the reaction by other fans. I've enjoyed and championed every single other Morrissey album he has created. I do not believe this album measures up to his usual high standards, and I have sought in desperation someone to convince me otherwise. I have loved Morrissey's records so much over the years, and they have brought me so much enjoyment. I enjoyed the hand shake he gave me when I met him. He is an all time great. Which is why YOR is so disappointing to me. It's like watching a family member diminish from Alzheimers.

"Oh, Vauxhall95 your an idiot, blah, blah.." Look, whatever people, I'm a Morrissey fan, not a fanatic. He doesn't get a blanket pass for everything he says and does in my book. The highest praise anyone has logically managed to summon for this album is: it's either better than anyone else out there, or it's amazing at age 49 Morrissey could make a record like this. To me, that's not saying much. It was possible for Morrissey to make a "loud" and brilliant record, he succeeded widely with "Your Arsenal." YOR is no "Your Arsenal." To me, YOR is lyrically trite, the metaphors are cliche and heavy handed, and lyrical he's covered this same ground so many times before and better.

I'm done arguing about this album, and I'm disappointed in myself that the vitriolic insults I've endured have made me start to dislike not just this forum but Morrissey himself. I'm not a perfect person, but I apologize when I'm wrong, and try to debate without rancor.

In the end, I'm right back where I started, "YOR is what it is."

I agree with the bolded quote above. He is very much moving in a new direction. I also agree that he sounds great with his bandmates. I've never disputed any of this. I've written countless times YOR is a very accessible pop record.

I've also come to realize the futility of trying to argue the merits of this album in this forum. Ultimately, what I've found so disappointing is the reaction by other fans. I've enjoyed and championed every single other Morrissey album he has created. I do not believe this album measures up to his usual high standards, and I have sought in desperation someone to convince me otherwise. I have loved Morrissey's records so much over the years, and they have brought me so much enjoyment. I enjoyed the hand shake he gave me when I met him. He is an all time great. Which is why YOR is so disappointing to me. It's like watching a family member diminish from Alzheimers.

"Oh, Vauxhall95 your an idiot, blah, blah.." Look, whatever people, I'm a Morrissey fan, not a fanatic. He doesn't get a blanket pass for everything he says and does in my book. The highest praise anyone has logically managed to summon for this album is: it's either better than anyone else out there, or it's amazing at age 49 Morrissey could make a record like this. To me, that's not saying much. It was possible for Morrissey to make a "loud" and brilliant record, he succeeded widely with "Your Arsenal." YOR is no "Your Arsenal." To me, YOR is lyrically trite, the metaphors are cliche and heavy handed, and lyrical he's covered this same ground so many times before and better.

I'm done arguing about this album, and I'm disappointed in myself that the vitriolic insults I've endured have made me start to dislike not just this forum but Morrissey himself. I'm not a perfect person, but I apologize when I'm wrong, and try to debate without rancor.

In the end, I'm right back where I started, "YOR is what it is."

I'm disappointed to read this because I value your opinion and-- respectfully-- you're missing out. I hope you'll keep listening. Maybe it will grow on you.

I'm kind of surprised that I like it so much. Like you I have never been a thoughtless fan. What I've liked I think I could back up with arguments, and the same for what I didn't. So, if it matters, take it from a fellow objective fan: YOR is a great album.

Or don't take it. That's okay too. But don't get upset about these online kerfuffles.

I'm disappointed to read this because I value your opinion and-- respectfully-- you're missing out. I hope you'll keep listening. Maybe it will grow on you.

I'm kind of surprised that I like it so much. Like you I have never been a thoughtless fan. What I've liked I think I could back up with arguments, and the same for what I didn't. So, if it matters, take it from a fellow objective fan: YOR is a great album.

Or don't take it. That's okay too. But don't get upset about these online kerfuffles.

Why be civil to idiocy, it gets you nowhere. I should know. I prefer admiring heated and aimed hatred or fury. This civility reeks a lack of imagination. Possibly inspiration.

Being civil doesn't help. Nothing ever will.

Why be civil to idiocy, it gets you nowhere. I should know. I prefer admiring heated and aimed hatred or fury. This civility reeks a lack of imagination. Possibly inspiration.

Being civil doesn't help. Nothing ever will.

In life, maybe.

In an online discussion forum, no.

Incivility ends conversations. We're here to have conversations.

In life, maybe.

In an online discussion forum, no.

Incivility ends conversations. We're here to have conversations.

Being online shouldn't be an issue.
The whole point is these people don't have conversations, which is why throughout other thread things you've tried to spoon-feed the almighty Vauxhall, and have managed to achieve nothing, apart from a fascinating line at the beginning of each golden paragraph detailing the online 'respect' for which he holds warmly for you. Which of course, I am sure you are pleased about but why?
I would rather spend time crying into a pillow. I think it would achieve more also.

Being online shouldn't be an issue.
The whole point is these people don't have conversations, which is why throughout other thread things you've tried to spoon-feed the almighty Vauxhall, and have managed to achieve nothing, apart from a fascinating line at the beginning of each golden paragraph detailing the online 'respect' for which he holds warmly for you. Which of course, I am sure you are pleased about but why?
I would rather spend time crying into a pillow. I think it would achieve more also.

Being online is an issue, though. The interesting bits of these online discussion forums almost never come in the front door but sneak in through the back. My civility has extended a thread that wasn't going anywhere and brought out-- in my responses and in the responses to my responses-- much more interesting reading than just the usual "Isn't this song grand!" And by "interesting" I don't just mean "smart comments about Morrissey" but often tangential remarks, jokes, bizarre non-sequiters, and other variations of sheer randomness. That's how online forums work. Nothing's more foolish than online pissing contests to determine who's smarter. Smart people know better.

If we're insulting each other we're not talking about "Years of Refusal", and that's the whole reason I came back here, and presumably the reason you've graced us with your presence. I disagree with Vauxhall, someone I've had discussions with many times in the past. Shall I childishly call him an idiot or, in trying to show him why he's wrong, get to state the case for all to see why YOR is one of Morrissey's best-ever records? Because unlike conversations in a pub all of our comments get recorded for everyone else to read, and in my "uninspired, unimaginative civility" I've managed to get in a few words of praise for YOR that otherwise wouldn't exist. With apologies to Vauxhall, that means more to me than the esteem of anonymous internet posters.

You think the guy who held up the radio station in Denver in 1987 and forced them to play Smiths songs for five hours wanted to convince anyone of anything? He just wanted The Smiths to be heard.

I know I shouldn't say this, and it's probably borderline on my own posting ethics, but that woman on the right has some terrific knockers. :yum:

Peter

Would you still find her knockers terrific if you came home and found she'd moved your living room furniture onto the f***ing lawn to watch "Oprah" with her girlfriends?

Would you still find her knockers terrific if you came home and found she'd moved your living room furniture onto the f***ing lawn to watch "Oprah" with her girlfriends?

I'd tell her to sling her hook, get bent, and for good measure, sod off.That's a step too far. Old British joke time - what do you do if a bird shits on your car? Tell her it's over...

Peter

You think the guy who held up the radio station in Denver in 1987 and forced them to play Smiths songs for five hours wanted to convince anyone of anything? He just wanted The Smiths to be heard.

I think he had the right idea, just the wrong gun.

Tags
linernotes southpaw
Back
Top Bottom