Response to Arizona's New Law

D

Dave

Hispanic Ad Firm Offers 'Gringo Masks' to AZ Mexicans

axjpk1.jpg

:eek: :thumb:

Draconian laws be damned, Miami-based, Latino-focused agency Zubi, which has done work for the likes of Ford and SC Johnson, is weighing in on the well-received Arizona immigration bill by offering "gringo masks" to Mexicans in the desert state. Now, you can look like a fake-ass Matthew McConaughey/Owen Wilson hybrid or "c***y Ann Coulter" with said visages and hopefully not get asked for your papers. Of course, Zubi isn't alone in raging against the machine as a Venables art director has also chimed in with Deprofiler.com

More: "Spec Corona Ad Sparks Immigration Debate"

The asshat agency's slogan is "Erase Stereotypes" but then they supposedly make a stand against discrimination by using a denigrating term for English-speakers. Way to alienate people, Zubi.

I don't think that "gringo" is derogatory. It's humorous. I looked it up and wikipedia says that in other countries it can be considered offensive but is often used just to mean "foreigner". "In South Florida, where Spanish is a very common lannguage, it is used on Hispanics that don't speak Spanish." There are other terms that are blatantly and intentionally offensive.

This campaign is done with humor, obviously. It might be very slightly controversial, but not offensive to most people. What's offensive is the idea that all people with brown skin are potential criminals, and this is a very polite response considering.

its time for a good remake of this old classic...

Last edited by a moderator:
The law isn't racist. It's necessary to protect Americans in AZ from the crimes being committed by illegal immigrants. I love it. Spread this law around, please.

PS Before I get called a racist, I'm going to school to be an anthropology professor with a focus on Latin America. I just think national security should trump my passion currently, kthnx.

At the risk of being pedantic, it's one gringa mask and one gringo mask. I would also like to respectfully suggest that everybody in Arizona start sporting luchadore masks so that enforcing this thing becomes too time consuming. I'm posting this luchadore mask for you kids to decorate at home - be creative!

mascaraelsanto.jpg

The law isn't racist. It's necessary to protect Americans in AZ from the crimes being committed by illegal immigrants. I love it. Spread this law around, please.

PS Before I get called a racist, I'm going to school to be an anthropology professor with a focus on Latin America. I just think national security should trump my passion currently, kthnx.

having a focus on this or that does not give you intellectual immunity. the law is racist, and until you can give me a full explanation why it is not, i will consider you a bigot.

there is no way. no actual way. to tell an illegal immigrant from a legal one. i hate to do do this, but this state also refused to acknowledge martin luther king day. its bullshit and it continues today. .

Last edited:

Last edited by a moderator:

How nice of you to make sacrifices on behalf of people who are not you, all in the name of "national security".

Although the idea of deporting illegal aliens has some ground (you can't just decide to stay in France after your vacation and not expect the government to track you down and kick you out), the language of this bill IS racist. It obviously is targeting the hispanic race, hence, racist. The tricky part is how to deal with illegal immigration without being racist. If a large percentage of illegal immigrants in Arizona are hispanic (I'm assuming, I haven't looked at the data), one could argue that checking papers on people that appear to be hispanic is simply a conservation of resources, as there is not enough manpower to do paper checks on everyone. However, it is completely unfair and horrible for legal hispanic citizens to be caught in this trap (I am stopped and repeatedly questioned...born and raised...this is not your country.)
Tricky issue.

...um, or we could just have tighter border security?

This law isn't going to help the immigration issue. We're basically just shooting ourselves in the foot. We are a nation of 10 year olds.

i get all heated but in the end i say let arizona have their own way. the rest of the country will respond and eventually they will be forced to accept people different from themselves.

i get all heated but in the end i say let arizona have their own way. the rest of the country will respond and eventually they will be forced to accept people different from themselves.

It isn't a matter of people being different; it is a matter of people entering the US illegally.

its a matter of people being mexican. sorry i cant come up with anything better than the truth.

Immigration is a pain in the ass and it isn't fair that so many people enter the US illegally while others have to go through the long tedious process to do it the right way.

I'd like to see the people who are here illegally rounded up and sent back to wherever they came from. I'd like all the legal ones to stay and more to come through legally.

Tags
*strike out
Back
Top Bottom