Morrissey Central "NEW GUITARIST" (April 13, 2023)

Carmen Vandenberg (below) will play guitars with Jesse Tobias in the new
line-up for Morrissey's forthcoming July concerts in Israel, Ireland and Britain.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
If he resigned then apparently they weren't. You dedicate your talent, work and time. You compose, record , etc. Then it turns out that everything goes to waste because your boss doesn't want to share this music with his fans. Anyone would be pissed off in Alain place.
That’s a lot of assumptions. Surely he got paid for all of that work and time. And it’s not as if he has much of a career going these days apart from this.
I see no reason why he wouldn’t want to stay apart from any so-called ‘management-issues’.

What I really don't get is that people are constantly "shocked" that people on here are not super positive all the time. You know who we all are a fan of, don't you? This absolutely super positive ray of light of optimism who is not toxic at times at all and only spreads positivity day in day out? Who never causes questionable drama? Who has two new albums out of which we can discuss the music happily? Oh and the last cool interview with this real journalist, it was that funny! Right. And yet we are here wondering, why some people seem to like drama or see things negatively. I think the state of M does reflect on the fanbase naturally because that's the natural thing to happen. We all hope for the best though, that's why we're all here.

As for the new guitarist, I don't know her, but I hope she gets a fair chance. Strange about Alain though.

Pretty much. Kill Uncle was almost the last straw. Alain, Boz, Spencer, and Gary breathed new life into those songs on that historic tour which led to Your Arsenal and his career was saved.
Nah. The 1991 tour showed that Morrissey could have gone on tour with any backing band and it would have been a success. People had been waiting years to see him live and those shows were all about Morrissey and the fans.

The band got terrible reviews from all over the place (including from Stephen Street and Mark Nevin).

They did improve considerably by 1992, however.

Nah. The 1991 tour showed that Morrissey could have gone on tour with any backing band and it would have been a success. People had been waiting years to see him live and those shows were all about Morrissey and the fans.

The band got terrible reviews from all over the place (including from Stephen Street and Mark Nevin).

They did improve considerably by 1992, however.
Not true. When young fans go to his show today, they dress and wear their hair in the 1991 rockabilly style from that year even though Morrissey hasn't looked that way FOREVER. Image and style is a huge part of the rock and roll experience. I've seen Morrissey several times and the concert from 1991 was the best show I've ever been to in my life. The energy was ten zillion times better than modern day Morrissey. You felt like you were in the presence of an untouchable, larger than life star...nothing like today. If you are just going on sheer musicianship, you'd have to conclude that Yes or The Eagles are much better than The Ramones or Sex Pistols.

Viva Hate is still my favourite album of Morrissey's. Even as much as I love Alain Whyte and his songwriting and as supposedly as unpopular as Kill Uncle was I think Morrissey would've been just fine no matter who wrote music with him. Stephen Street injected plenty of new life into Morrissey post Smiths.

The Bona Drag compilation is proof enough that Morrissey songs could work with any number of writers. I'd take a Morrissey/Armstrong album in a second!
Half of Viva Hate was great. Why he doesn't seem to like I Don't Mind If You Forget Me is beyond me. That song and Late Night Maudlin Street remain in heavy rotation for me.

Not true. When young fans go to his show today, they dress and wear their hair in the 1991 rockabilly style from that year even though Morrissey hasn't looked that way FOREVER. Image and style is a huge part of the rock and roll experience. I've seen Morrissey several times and the concert from 1991 was the best show I've ever been to in my life. The energy was ten zillion times better than modern day Morrissey. You felt like you were in the presence of an untouchable, larger than life star...nothing like today. If you are just going on sheer musicianship, you'd have to conclude that Yes or The Eagles are much better than The Ramones or Sex Pistols.
Of course the energy was ten zillion times better than modern day Morrissey. He is 63 and none of us are getting any younger. :) That's the equivalent of criticizing Paul McCartney because fans no longer wet their knickers like during Beatlemania.

The energy did not come from the band, though, and it was exactly the same with the 1988 show (which again had its musicianship issues).

The energy came from Morrissey and the fans, as I said. You are right that, "you felt you were in the presence of an untouchable, larger than star."

Last edited:
Moonage Daydream is outstanding. An excellent documentary about Bowie and his legacy as an artist. There's a great bit at the end about his admiration for artists who 'have the integrity to work outside the system' and go into territory that isn't 'safe'. I think we would all include Morrissey in that category.
Morrissey's legacy is still being written. What is so sad about Moz's career appearing to end in this way - no record label and his only music coming via live shows - is that he so clearly has enough of a following to break the traditional record label system and release his own music.
It's frustrating for us fans to watch from the sidelines - the mismanagement or lack of management - how much more frustrating must it be for the likes of Alain, who clearly cares about Moz, his music, and his legacy?
Who would want to work for an outfit whose sole means of communication with the general public are posts by SER? Whose sole method of finding a buyer for Without Music is publicly slagging off other record labels?

It does seem self-defeating to be at odds with the very record labels who, ultimately, hold the purse strings.

Although Morrissey is obviously an iconic figure amongst the converted, being readily controversial (‘because nobody ever is’) becomes an anti-establishment cliche in itself.

It feels like the only industry person who Morrissey hasn’t seemingly antagonised in the last few years is Sir Denis Eton-Hogg of Polymer Records, although I get the feeling that Moz would’ve liked Mike Joyce to have spontaneously combusted on his drum stool! :unsure:

We Love You Animated Gif GIF by Vevo

I just found out that Carmen's bandmate in BONES UK, Rosie, is the daughter of Bill Oddie of The Goodies (per Wikipedia, at least)!

I'm loathed to use the word 'desperation', but he was accused of it at the time: given those 'efforts' to be noticed, songs everyday, nostalgic interviews et al, it would seem odd that he didn't have an idea of what he may be going in to (especially after leaving in potentially a similar climate before) and to then leave after getting what he wanted must have (IMHO) taken something major to instigate. Even with no label/output, he loves being on stage and could be gainfully employed to see out this year - he chose the opposite and that's not only sad, but pretty contrary to all he's appeared to be aiming for. I think when "management" becomes a known quantity, it will all make sense.
Regards,
FWD.
True. But what makes you think he ‘chose’ the opposite.
I think it is more likely camp Moz contacted Carmen before and when this worked out there really was not much for Alain to choose.

Oh PLEASE!! I hope so!!!!!
Wait, why? Is he "management"? Gustavo has been a force within Morrissey's shows since 2009. And he is fully loyal to him. I don't care THAT much but he doesn't seem to play with any other band or need the Morrissey brand to propel him forward anywhere else in music. He definitely shouldn't leave. He fits and works, writes, and Mozza obviously likes him. Why the hate?? Or are you just a jealous c**t?? o_O

Last edited:
Of course the energy was ten zillion times better than modern day Morrissey. He is 63 and none of us are getting any younger. :) That's the equivalent of criticizing Paul McCartney because fans no longer wet their knickers like during Beatlemania.

The energy did not come from the band, though, and it was exactly the same with the 1988 show (which again had its musicianship issues).

The energy came from Morrissey and the fans, as I said. You are right that, "you felt you were in the presence of an untouchable, larger than star."
Did you see them in 1991? Do you remember a thin rockabilly Boz running around the stage with a James Dean looking Alain Whyte or the coolest bassist since Paul Simonon, the one and only, Gary Day? I'm sorry, Morrissey needed those young guys to take his career to another level. We are just going to have to disagree, I think most people agree with me on this. Btw, Mick Jagger is turning 80 this year and his energy level is incredible. Morrissey has no excuse for being so lazy on stage today. Jagger is 14 years older than him, Springsteen has 10 years on him.

Yes, that one, I then went to his facebook account and I saw that many of his pictures are credited to dneuer who, or someone whose name was exaxtly that, contributed massively here.
Fiona basically quoted dneuer to give "offical" info.
I like that picture, as it suggests that Alain and Gustavo were really getting along well. I personally think that Gustavo would be a loss to Morrissey’s live band. He was a good piano player and he can also play accoustic guitar and the accordeon.

Did you see them in 1991? Do you remember a thin rockabilly Boz running around the stage with a James Dean looking Alain Whyte or the coolest bassist since Paul Simonon, the one and only, Gary Day? I'm sorry, Morrissey needed those young guys to take his career to another level. We are just going to have to disagree, I think most people agree with me on this. Btw, Mick Jagger is turning 80 this year and his energy level is incredible. Morrissey has no excuse for being so lazy on stage today. Jagger is 14 years older than him, Springsteen has 10 years on him.
Yeah but there’s something a bit unsavoury about an octogenarian in hot pants wearing budgie smugglers and wiggling his snake hips (are they made of metal?!) at women old enough to know better!

He just hired a much younger guitar player for the upcoming tour, so you’re right, he needs younger musicians to take his career to a hoger level. Bands like New Order or the Bunnymen also recruit younger band members to bring new energy to the live set-up.

I like that picture, as it suggests that Alain and Gustavo were really getting along well. I personally think that Gustavo would be a loss to Morrissey’s live band. He was a good piano player and he can also play accoustic guitar and the accordeon.
Gustavo can also play harmonica on ‘Veronica’! ;)

He just hired a much younger guitar player for the upcoming tour, so you’re right, he needs younger musicians to take his career to a hoger level. Bands like New Order or the Bunnymen also recruit younger band members to bring new energy to the live set-up.
If the musicians of the original line-up leave (or pass away in the case of the Bunnymen), it is almost natural to see them replaced by younger ones because they are more readily available and use the experience and reference to build up their careers. They could add some energy, but I think the pace is set by the frontman, and I can’t see Morrissey, Ian McCulloch or Bernatd Summers jumping around on stage anymore.

Back
Top Bottom